Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Big Brakes with Shelby Razors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

The back spacing isn't what prevents a wheel from hitting a big brake kit. The center section of the wheel that mounts to the studs/caliper face is what makes the difference. The poster above said the 20" Razor clears, that means it will clear at any offset the wheel is made at. The face of the wheel design doesn't change with different offsets. The only difference is the point, or how deep into the wheel the face is mounted.

Buy the offset that what made to look the best on your car. The lower the offset number, the farther out the wheel protrudes from the wheel well.

Example: 30MM offset will come out farther than a 40MM offset. Our OEM wheels were 50MM offset, and I'm sure you recall how far they were in the wheel wells. Too far IMO, and it didn't look like a muscle car.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 10-02-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
The back spacing isn't what prevents a wheel from hitting a big brake kit. The center section of the wheel that mounts to the studs/caliper face is what makes the difference. The poster above said the 20" Razor clears, that means it will clear at any offset the wheel is made at. The face of the wheel design doesn't change with different offsets. The only difference is the point, or how deep into the wheel the face is mounted.

Buy the offset that what made to look the best on your car. The lower the offset number, the farther out the wheel protrudes from the wheel well.

Example: 30MM offset will come out farther than a 40MM offset. Our OEM wheels were 50MM offset, and I'm sure you recall how far they were in the wheel wells. Too far IMO, and it didn't look like a muscle car.
Hey, Thanks for the info! Good to know!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 11:48 AM
CruizinConceptsJohn
Former Sponsor

Sorry that I'm a little late to the party here, but I can certainly clear some things up for you. The offset has everything to do with whether or not a wheel will clear your brakes. The Razor wheels came in different offsets, however only the 24mm would work on the GT500 Brembos and other large systems without having to use a spacer. The offset is created by measuring the wheel, then adding or subtracting how far from the center that the mounting pad is located.

For example, if you have a 9" wide wheel with a 0mm offset, it means you have the mounting pad exactly in the center of the wheel with the same back spacing as front spacing. If you have a 24mm offset, it means the mounting pad is moved 24mm to the outside of the wheel which will in turn pull the wheel in towards the center of the car 24mm. The higher the offset, the farther the wheel will sit in the fenders.

What this means is that with a larger brake system, using the same kind of wheel, it would require a lower offset to push the wheel out farther and give more space between the brakes and wheel. Some wheels have designs that offer more clearance for larger systems. The FR500 offers an enormous amount of room due to how the spokes are designed. The Razor does not offer as much room, meaning where you can use a 30mm offset on the FR500, you need the 24mm offset on the Razor. If you go with a common set-up with 9" wheels in the front and 10" wheels in the rear, the best offsets are 30mm front and 40mm rear to bring the wheels out flush. Using the 24mm Razor does cause the wheel to stick out from the fender a little making it very difficult to lower the vehicle without rubbing. Hopefully that will help you some. Any other questions, just let me know.

Cruizin John.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:16 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CruizinConceptsJohn
Sorry that I'm a little late to the party here, but I can certainly clear some things up for you. The offset has everything to do with whether or not a wheel will clear your brakes. The Razor wheels came in different offsets, however only the 24mm would work on the GT500 Brembos and other large systems without having to use a spacer. The offset is created by measuring the wheel, then adding or subtracting how far from the center that the mounting pad is located.

For example, if you have a 9" wide wheel with a 0mm offset, it means you have the mounting pad exactly in the center of the wheel with the same back spacing as front spacing. If you have a 24mm offset, it means the mounting pad is moved 24mm to the outside of the wheel which will in turn pull the wheel in towards the center of the car 24mm. The higher the offset, the farther the wheel will sit in the fenders.

What this means is that with a larger brake system, using the same kind of wheel, it would require a lower offset to push the wheel out farther and give more space between the brakes and wheel. Some wheels have designs that offer more clearance for larger systems. The FR500 offers an enormous amount of room due to how the spokes are designed. The Razor does not offer as much room, meaning where you can use a 30mm offset on the FR500, you need the 24mm offset on the Razor. If you go with a common set-up with 9" wheels in the front and 10" wheels in the rear, the best offsets are 30mm front and 40mm rear to bring the wheels out flush. Using the 24mm Razor does cause the wheel to stick out from the fender a little making it very difficult to lower the vehicle without rubbing. Hopefully that will help you some. Any other questions, just let me know.

Cruizin John.
Hi John,

Thanks for this info. As you can see, I have the 20 inch Razors now. But I do not know what offset they are. Is it stamped on the wheel somewhere?

As stated, I would really like to go back to an 18 inch but I love the look of the Razors.

Do you sell an 18 inch Razor that will clear the GT500 Brake Kit?

Let me know!
Thanks!
Dan
Old 10-18-2010, 02:13 PM
CruizinConceptsJohn
Former Sponsor

Unfortunately the Razor wheels have been discontinued. As hot of a wheel as it was, American Racing(Wheel Pros) and Shelby America have split ways and are no longer producing the Razors, Redlines or Torq Thrust M wheels. There were some late model Razor wheels made after the companies parted and instead of saying Shelby on the spoke, they either say "AR" or have nothing there. The center caps did not have snakes on them, they have the AR logo with "Special Edition" markings on them. The Torq Thrust wheels are still produced, just not with the Shelby markings anymore. What this means is that if you find a set of these wheels they are either used or old stock. Because ourselves, along with most of our competitors, turn over our inventory so often it isn't likely you will find them with the big players in the market. Keep an eye on the forum marketplace and local sales if you are looking for that specific wheel. There are a couple other wheels in 18s that fit, but nothing that looks like the Razor. Sorry for the bad news, hope you find a set.

Cruizin John.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:18 PM
THEBLACKSTANG
4th Gear Member

You might be able to get the razors directly from shelby in Las Vegas their site still has them listed at least. I got my silver razors from them.