Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Brake upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 03:36 PM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

Default Brake upgrade question

I recently painted the factory calipers on my car. I painted them red and I think they came out like crap. It is not so much the color, it just enhances how ugly the factory calipers are. I have been searching for calipers with no luck. Can I just replace the calipers or does it require replacing more components?

In the meantime, I ordered black paint to attempt to conceal them!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:34 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I personally don't like red calipers because they look ricey/overdone to me. My personal preference is black. Then again, it is your car; don't let me tell you what to do with it.

The reason I am posting is because I am interested in this too. The factory calipers really do look lame, and I would like to replace them as well, but I don't know enough about it yet.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:50 PM
jcieutat
2nd Gear Member

If they were Brembo's, the red would not be so bad!! These factory ones are just ugly. I just can't justify spending 2K or 3k on a complete brake package when all I would like to do would be change out the calipers (front and rear).
Old 10-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Big Brake kits are expensive. You can probably find gt500 Brembo take offs for around $500-700

I dont think red is ugly or ricey. I have the StopTech 14" front Brake kit and love it. Another guy on here has Baer Big Brake kit. Photo's of mine below.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:05 AM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lv XLR8N
Big Brake kits are expensive. You can probably find gt500 Brembo take offs for around $500-700

I dont think red is ugly or ricey. I have the StopTech 14" front Brake kit and love it. Another guy on here has Baer Big Brake kit. Photo's of mine below.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay? I am really wondering if I should get the Stop Tech or the Brembo brakes?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

The 6 piston baer front kit will run you about 2,000. i think that is below the average price for a 6 piston kit/ 2 piece rotors. no doubt brake kits are an expensive upgrade.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

The StopTech kit I have retails for $1495 ST40, Includes SS lines, pads, 1pc slotted rotors, and calipers and mounting kit.

I paid less with a partial sponsorship with StopTech. They are a top notch company that makes an excellent product. I have no complaints. They also make 6 piston kits. They actually had some labeled Saleen calipers (Black with Saleen in yellow) at the time I bought mine, but I dont need 6 piston calipers.

macmovieman, you can email StopTech direct and see what they have to offer. www.stoptech.com

One thing you will want to do first, is print out the template on the website for what caliper you choose, and make sure it clears the wheels. The factory 19" wheels that come on the 2010 GT dont clear the bigger calipers. (not enough space between caliper and back of spokes on the wheel) any questions let me know.

Last edited by Lv XLR8N; 10-02-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:20 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

I am putting Brembo four pots on front and back they're at the powder coater right now being made red.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:42 AM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lv XLR8N
The StopTech kit I have retails for $1495 ST40, Includes SS lines, pads, 1pc slotted rotors, and calipers and mounting kit.

I paid less with a partial sponsorship with StopTech. They are a top notch company that makes an excellent product. I have no complaints. They also make 6 piston kits. They actually had some labeled Saleen calipers (Black with Saleen in yellow) at the time I bought mine, but I dont need 6 piston calipers.

macmovieman, you can email StopTech direct and see what they have to offer. www.stoptech.com

One thing you will want to do first, is print out the template on the website for what caliper you choose, and make sure it clears the wheels. The factory 19" wheels that come on the 2010 GT dont clear the bigger calipers. (not enough space between caliper and back of spokes on the wheel) any questions let me know.
Thanks Lv XLR8N and I will email them to get some prices. My new rims have lots of room for brakes but I will do my diligence to make sure they fit. I took my stock 19s off and that means I might need to sell them if they will not fit my car as my winter rims. One last thing, my calipers with be either yellow or black and not red. I am going to take some photo's of the car and play with the color until I am sure what color I want.

Last edited by macmovieman; 10-02-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:46 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

What about the caliper covers that are available, if you are just going for visual appeal? Look good to me.

Uh oh.....Is that incoming I hear?

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade question