Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

DEFINITIVE ANSWER ON OEM WHEEL WEIGHT AND OFFSET FOR BREMBO 2011 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I'm amazed at some of the variances in tire weight. I've looked at the variance between say 275/40-18 and 275/35-18 and was a bit surprised. And tires are on the outer edge of the 'flywheel'...worst place.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:15 AM
lawman1
1st Gear Member

Default So much for the Forgestars.

If the "Brembo" wheels are 25-26 pounds then there is no point in getting the Forgestars which weigh approximately the same in 19x9 config. I though I would be saving some 4-5 pounds a wheel based on some apparent misinformation that the "brembo" oem wheel was some 29-30 pounds. Forgelines are great no doubt. And at 4k and up they should be. Probably a little too rich for my blood though. Thank you Sam. 25-26 pound for the ford wheel ain't bad at all based on wheel weights I have been looking at. Heck, everybody is lusting over the RTR's and they are 2-3 pounds heavier. I knew the offset was on the back of the wheel I was just to damn lazy to take off the wheel and look. Thanks again. There is more accurate information in the publidc domain then there was yesterday. Knowledge has been advanced. That's a good thing.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

If you are looking for a lighter weight wheel at 18 x 9.5 these are a relatively inexpensive choice

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...o-nt01s-2.html
Old 10-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Skullbussa
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by adidas04
isnt 25 pounds per wheel a relativly low number?
Generally - no.

For Mustangs and other domestics - 25lbs is not terrible. But if you went onto a BMW or Porsche forum and talked about buying a 19x9 wheel that weighed 25lbs they'd laugh you off their website. The Volks I had on my Lancer Evolution weighed less than 18lbs a piece - and they were wider. But they weren't cheap - $650 each.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:57 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

1. 42 millimeters
Old 10-18-2010, 02:03 AM
lawman1
1st Gear Member

For Mustangs and other domestics - 25lbs is not terrible. But if you went onto a BMW or Porsche forum and talked about buying a 19x9 wheel that weighed 25lbs they'd laugh you off their website. The Volks I had on my Lancer Evolution weighed less than 18lbs a piece - and they were wider. But they weren't cheap - $650 each.
I have done just that and it is true. When you look at the quarter mile time on a Ferrari California, a heavy 450 horsepower car and wonder why it accelerates so fast ( Motortrend, October 09, 11.9 quarter/3916 pounds /454 horsepower) most people point to the launch control and sophisticated transmission, but the wheel weight is probably 8 pounds lighter per wheel than a 2011 mustang. Without getting into a rotational mass/unsprung weight / static weight conversion argument, most people would agree that is worth 2-3 tenths in a quarter. So the question then becomes: are there cheaper ways to gain 2-3 tenths in the quarter than spending 4-8 thousand dollars on super light forged wheels. How about a high flow head ($1300)? Or CAI/ tune/Exhaust system(2600)?
But once you have done that short of a supercharger, forgelines are probably the way to go because of the affect on acceleration but even more because according to everyone I've talked to it helps feel and handling tremendously. I've looked around and there are many expensive supposedly lightweight exotic and expensive wheel that weigh more than the brembo OEM's. And I'm sure we are still lighter than a camaro, challenger or even Corvette oem wheel. Forgelines down the road when Mr. Green Shows up more often in my business account, meanwhile the OEM's are staying on as they are perfectly suitable for my skill level and budget.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 AM
adidas04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Not really..... 20% per wheel is a lot to save. The trouble is many aftermarket wheels that look good and are cheap, weigh a ton... usually more than that which makes 25 look not so bad.

Remember that wheels are not only unsprung weight (not good for ride, it's more mass to move up and down), but are also flywheels. Unlike the one on the engine, you have 4 of them to speed up and slow down. Folks will go with lighter driveshafts to save mass and ignore the wheels--and can save more mass on the wheels.
Ok, thats good info.
I know that rotational mass is very important when it comes to performance but i guess i didnt realise just how far a little bit of extra rotating weight really drags you down.... sounds like every ounce counts.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:32 AM
RoadRacer78
1st Gear Member

Not necessarily relevant but I put some GT500 brakes on a 2010 GT this weekend and weighed everything. The GT500 brakes (everything but backing plates) added 5.5lb to the car. 2.25lb/side.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Yes but they really help haul her down by providing a better heat sink

I knew there was a weight penalty and thanks for weighing it all.

My 6 pound wheel weight reduction with the Enkei's also more than offset it.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adidas04
Ok, thats good info.
I know that rotational mass is very important when it comes to performance but i guess i didnt realise just how far a little bit of extra rotating weight really drags you down.... sounds like every ounce counts.
Every little bit helps, so 8 lbs/wheel certainly does. But 0.2 or 0.3 is a wildly optomistic guess. I'd put the difference closer to 0.050, maybe 0.075 seconds. That's still more than enough to change the outcome of a close race, so it is a real improvement.

There's way too much we don't know about the Ferrari just from reading a MT article. Same goes for any Mustang taken at random. Things like the shape of the torque curve and the closeness (or not) of the tranny gearing to keep you where gearing times torque minus friction losses is maximized. Or aerodynamic resistance. Etc., etc., etc.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-18-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: DEFINITIVE ANSWER ON OEM WHEEL WEIGHT AND OFFSET FOR BREMBO 2011 GT?