Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Roush Coilovers? Need to swap shocks...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:43 PM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

Default Roush Coilovers? Need to swap shocks...

I posted this on another mustang forum but there seems to be more guys here.

Here is what I had posted.

"Lets talk about the roush track pack coilovers. Ok I have been ogling these things for a while now. Anyone have them? Pros and cons?

Here is the link to the exact ones.
http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1070

ANy thoughts that are based on experince? I was thinking those plus a set of swaybars later on. Maybe sam can chime in? "

Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Lets go racing.
$1500, O U C H.
Not so good for the street and daily driving.
You also need other supporting items to finish out the 'track pac'.
Front and rear sways...
$290
$302
Old 11-20-2010, 03:09 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Sam hates those because you dont know and cant find out anything about them.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:46 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

1500 is hard to swallow by any stretch of the imagination. However the sum of the parts in those is much higher than the price of them. A company like roush is also know for some nice gear. Dos this hold watter with these shocks?

What im asking here is, does anyone own a track pack mustang? Or do they own the suspension components. When reviewed the track pack was noted as a stellar performer, what im concerned about is how do they ride if used as a dd? Also the longevity?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:59 AM
transporter1414
1st Gear Member

Have you tried posting this question at fnsweet.com. Its the ROUSH zone and there are some Trak Pack owners on there that can probably help.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Thevesh

ok Sam might hate them, but i "upgraded" from Tokicos (Steeda adjustables) to these and never looked back. Roush trakpak suspension comes with camber plates (max -3degrees). This suspension setup is great for events and not so great, little bit on the firm side, for daily driving. I really like it and recommend to any enthusiast.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

There are lots of kits that folks have and "like". That doesn't tell me anything tangible.

I'd much rather run a less costly setup with knowns that we can base things off of. For instance, $1270 gets you Koni Sports (adjustable, with a lifetime warranty). Steeda Sport springs (linear rate, known rate, known baseline), and a set of Steeda HD Mounts (camber plates) for your adjustment... and you can get a lot of negative camber with those combined with lowering springs--more than enough I was able to get -2.5+ with those on my '07.

I'm glad you like the setup Thevesh, but I think it's overpriced for a bunch of unknowns. The result might suit you well enough, but in comparison to what? D-specs? And what were the spring rates you were running then vs. now? Don't know, right? I suspect those Roush parts are using around a 400 pound front where Steeda's coil-over does not--and that is a big difference in roll and pitch stiffness.

Anyway, I digress. On the other side of the $1500 price point are known spring rates, and double adjustable dampers like KW Variant 3's. Which give more flexibility in tuning, and again have known spring rates as a starting point to work with should you make changes.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jaguarking11
1500 is hard to swallow by any stretch of the imagination. However the sum of the parts in those is much higher than the price of them. A company like roush is also know for some nice gear. Dos this hold watter with these shocks?

What im asking here is, does anyone own a track pack mustang? Or do they own the suspension components. When reviewed the track pack was noted as a stellar performer, what im concerned about is how do they ride if used as a dd? Also the longevity?
The issue is simple, it was stated before, and I'll state it again. If these had some other name on them other than Roush, considering what you don't know about them--would you be considering them? I know, it's Roush so it must be good, right? Well, I'm not saying they are junk--but remember Roush is also the company that brings you solid, heavy, and non-adjustable swaybars when most everyone else offers at least a hollow front with adjustment, and I offer a set that is hollow and adjustable-- just an example. Here's another. Roush doesn't have a Watts link. Does that mean that Watts links are useless? Jaguarking11 you have a Watts link if I remember correctly, and you like it right? Well, Roush doesn't offer such a creature--so based on the theory that "it's Roush and they make good stuff" would it not stand to reason that it might seem the think a Watts link is a waste? Do you agree?

Now, for the kicker in all this. My biggest WD (warehouse distributor) carries Roush parts. I could sell them... but honestly I don't because the lack of information on things like spring rates, dampers, lack of a lifetime warranty, etc. is a deal breaker for me and there are plenty of other options that I can know about and that often have better warranties too.

Look at the price of almost any other Roush branded part vs. others. No great bargains there in comparison to like parts from other companies. Why do folks think that these coil-overs would be any different? Are they super parts that are priced stupid cheap? What else in their product like fits that bill? Most of the time you see that they have similar parts for more money--I think playing on the name. That's good for Roush, I guess props to them for being able to do it.