Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Advancetrac light on 2011 gt

Old 12-14-2010, 09:45 PM
kkpharmd

Originally Posted by jahudso2
Just because the stability control light is coming on, doesn't mean its throwing codes. It most likely won't have any codes at all. If there is a problem with the electronics system, the lights will most likely stay on. A diff problem won't cause any codes to be thrown unless the wrong diff ratio was flashed into the pcm, and the abs is getting confused. Not sure how a diff can be locked too much, unless they accidentally put too many friction disks into the diff when they were building it.
the light doesn't just flash. The traction control disabled and stability control disabled lights both come on and stay on and the message center reads "service advancetrac system". this is more than the lights flashing due to my driving or spinning a tire. the only way to get the lights and message to reset is to turn the car off for a few seconds and restart. I'm not sure if the odd feeling coming from the rear end has anything to do with what i am seeing with the advancetrac system. going to the dealer thurs am
Old 12-14-2010, 10:07 PM
kkpharmd

one last thing. not sure if this has anything to do with any of my problems but this car has a big problem with wheel hop. when i get on it very hard at all, from a stop or anywhere up to about 25-30mph the rear wheels hop like crazy. after i get the advancetrac prob fixed i am hoping a lowering kit/handling pack including stronger lower control arms fixes this issue. it is truely annoying
Old 12-15-2010, 05:37 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

It's not lower control arm strength that's of concern - it's the stiffness of the pivot bushings that matters. IOW, don't get sold on "strength vs flimsy appearance" or such. Change them to get the better pivots (poly in one end and a Roto-joint/Johnny joint/rod end/etc., in the other is probably the best street compromise).

Norm
Old 12-15-2010, 11:56 AM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kkpharmd
one last thing. not sure if this has anything to do with any of my problems but this car has a big problem with wheel hop. when i get on it very hard at all, from a stop or anywhere up to about 25-30mph the rear wheels hop like crazy. after i get the advancetrac prob fixed i am hoping a lowering kit/handling pack including stronger lower control arms fixes this issue. it is truely annoying
I guess it's not difficult to get wheel hop with over 400hp, is it?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:41 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Here we go again, eh Norm. LOL.

Cheers.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:48 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

To the OP. Taking it to the dealer is the right thing to do. Again, from experience, arrive at service with the light(s) on and don't shut down until somebody has confirmed the indications, just in case they can't duplicate the problem.

Cheers.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt
Here we go again, eh Norm. LOL.

Cheers.
Only a little bit. . . .

I'll stop short of telling people to absolutely never use it, in pretty much the same breath where I recommend that they fully know how to drive without it.

These systems are probably still in their infancy, so maybe it's appropriate to remember a rhyme from a long time ago, about the little girl . . .
Originally Posted by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
"when she was good, she was very, very good / but when she was bad, she was horrid".

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-15-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:05 AM
kkpharmd

Originally Posted by chrumck
night and day difference between my 07 and the 11. never a problem before. i love the power, i just want to get these problems fixed.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:09 AM
kkpharmd

Originally Posted by chrumck
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
It's not lower control arm strength that's of concern - it's the stiffness of the pivot bushings that matters. IOW, don't get sold on "strength vs flimsy appearance" or such. Change them to get the better pivots (poly in one end and a Roto-joint/Johnny joint/rod end/etc., in the other is probably the best street compromise).

Norm
i see what you mean. there are so many different products to choose from though. i think i have it narrowed down to steeda's (poly on both ends) and bmr's poly on one and rod end on the other. i just want to have the least change in nvh with the best performance possible. tough decisions. i am learning though. thanks
Old 12-16-2010, 03:50 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

If you are using the car on the street and car about handling then you should follow Norm's suggestion about using poly only on one end. Using poly on both ends causes the poly joints to "bind" as the car rolls and this affects handling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advancetrac light on 2011 gt