Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Panhard vs Watt's Looking For Detailed Info

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:07 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
Thanks for letting me interlace your thread with some additional questions, mainly targeted at street......
No problem at all! Your questions actually are coincident with mine in that I want to build a performance suspension with streetability in mind too.
I want to be able to drive my car to the track and then compete, not have to trailer it in.

I guess it is a matter of preference and also what class one would race in. For example, just like in drag strip racing: Someone could build a drag racer that could be driven to the track, or he could build an all out *****-to-the-wall off-road drag racer that is completely dedicated to the track only (i.e. it will never pass emissions, you cannot get street lic plates for it, etc.).

I guess as part of going to the local 'Stang fan meets and cruises, I don't just want to brag about my car and cannot show it to the guys, I want to be able to have it with me at the meets and show them too!
Old 12-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I run the steeda watts. It's completely silent and I could feel the difference the first time I backed my car out my driveway after installation. Even low speed road irregularities are 'damped'...the word I would use to describe how it feels vs. the panhard. When I installed higher rate lowering springs the issues with a solid rear axle really started to appear. Things you don't notice with soft stock springs and control arms. Every movement was accentuated. The watts settled it down and restored a tighter, more solid and comfortable feel. The car also tracks straighter (or so it feels).

I will add there will probably be maintenance required at some point so you have to take that into consideration. A lot more bushings/rodends etc back there with the watts over the simplicity of a panhard.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 12-27-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Funny, that comment about "I felt the difference in my driveway" has been stated to me more than once, by folks who don't know each other at all. I think that's a hugely, HUGELY telling indication of how much difference it makes. Last I checked most folks aren't racing down their driveways....

Really the only ones who will tell you a Watts isn't worth it are those that don't have one and have convinced themselves they only matter on "race cars".
Old 12-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
I am not calling into question your individual perception of NVH. However, I cannot imagine having rod ends on the Watts for a daily driver!

I have LCA's that use rod end on one side and poly on the other. I noticed a substantial increase in NVH, even to the point of being able to hear the gears when at low speed. A Watts with all Rod Ends would be way to much for me on the street. Plus, I imagine that the polys are plenty.

Is that the only difference between the Steeda and Fays2?

Thanks!
I've also run (well, tried to run) rod-end components and could hear every one of them to some extent. I've had double rod end control arms, poly/rod end control arms, roto-joint style control arms, double rod end panhard (which I still have, cant seem to give it away!), and roto-joint style/poly panhard. I could hear every one of em'...thogh roto-joints to a much lesser extent.

The rod-ends on the watts link ala fays2 style are somewhat isolated from the main suspension components (axle/chassis) so they may not be as noticable. I just know I won't run a rod-end part on my street car ever again.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

A few points on rod-ends. There are, like there are with most things, various qualities of rod-ends. $5 rattle trap specials all the way to really pricey, tight tolerance types. Fays2 doesn't use cheap rod-ends they are are Aurora units. And I can say that neither of mine a racket. In fact I can only think of a few times total someone complained of any noise whatever from one. MUCH LESS than the per capita number of complaints of nose from LCA's, UCA's, etc.

The biggest reason I do sell both is because of the differences in ends, because functionally they both work, and work the way they should.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I will add that a lot of noise I was experiencing was also due to inconsistencies in bolt -> rod end or bushing insert clearances. Going with some longer shoulder correct sized fasteners killed a lot of the racket.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:35 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A few points on rod-ends. There are, like there are with most things, various qualities of rod-ends. $5 rattle trap specials all the way to really pricey, tight tolerance types. Fays2 doesn't use cheap rod-ends they are are Aurora units. And I can say that neither of mine a racket. In fact I can only think of a few times total someone complained of any noise whatever from one. MUCH LESS than the per capita number of complaints of nose from LCA's, UCA's, etc.

The biggest reason I do sell both is because of the differences in ends, because functionally they both work, and work the way they should.
I know what you mean between high quality and low quality.

But I am not talking about low quality banging. I am just talking about the mere fact that rod ends trasmit (for my taste) too much noise from the road and running gear into the cabin for a street car. As well, on a street car (even if tracked occassionally) the rod ends are truly overkill. If you have a dedicated or mostly dedicated track car, then go for it. Otherwise, rod ends just do not make much sense due to road noise, etc on a street car and that they will never be truly needed on a street car anyway.

Between the Fays2 and the Steeda are there any really noticeable differences? I know price and the poly/rod ends, but otherwise????

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
The only noticeable NVH I get from my Fays 2 is above 60MPH and under hard acceleration above those speeds. Even then, it is minor. Just cruising around town, I don't hear any NVH from the Fays2.
I was looking at Sam's site, and I noticed the Fay's are significantly cheaper, http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=209&ModelID=5

The Steeda Watts are are over 1K.
Is there some other components you have to buy to get the Fays to bolt on and function? Or is that simply it as shown here?
Old 12-27-2010, 09:37 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I was looking at Sam's site, and I noticed the Fay's are significantly cheaper, http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=209&ModelID=5

The Steeda Watts are are over 1K.
Is there some other components you have to buy to get the Fays to bolt on and function? Or is that simply it as shown here?
Everything you need to bolt up the Fays2 is in the box.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the info, Jason!

I was reading your suspension mods list, do the Steeda springs lower your car any? Or are you at the same stock ride height? And for their spring rate, how do they feel with the Fays Watts you are using?

Quick Reply: Panhard vs Watt's Looking For Detailed Info