Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Panhard vs Watt's Looking For Detailed Info

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:00 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Thanks for the info, Jason!

I was reading your suspension mods list, do the Steeda springs lower your car any? Or are you at the same stock ride height? And for their spring rate, how do they feel with the Fays Watts you are using?
The Steeda Springs were a very mild drop. I'm guessing a little less than an inch, but it made a huge difference in handling. Nose dive was nearly eliminated and body roll was minimal, and that was on factory struts/shocks.

The spring rate feels great with the Fays2 Watts Link. I'm *still* getting the suspension dialed in. I threw so much at it in one afternoon's worth of work by putting on the Watts Link, Strano front and rear sway bars, Koni Sport shocks/struts, Steeda HD strut mounts, and BBR Billet LCA's. The ride is amazing over stock. The car is planted and corners like it is on rails. Here's the brutal honesty of the situation, everything is set pretty neutral right now. The only thing I have messed with is shock settings in the couple of weeks I've had it. We've had some cold weather, and I've been working crazy hours. This weekend, I plan on getting up under the car and adjusting the Watts a little and possibly taking a little out of the front bar. I *should* have done one thing at a time, but I had a buddy with a lift and all the right tools, and we knocked it all out in about 5 hours. I know the suspension as it sits right now isn't configured in an optimal setting, but half the fun will be getting it dialed in.

Factory Springs w/ 19" rims

DSC04470 by jsnyng, on Flickr

Steeda Sports w/ 18" GT500 rims

2011 Race Red Ford Mustang GT (stripes removed) by jsnyng, on Flickr

Last edited by jsnyng; 12-27-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
Between the Fays2 and the Steeda are there any really noticeable differences? I know price and the poly/rod ends, but otherwise????
Thanks!
You'll be hard pressed to locate anyone that has run both and can give an honest opinion on the differences. They both perform the same function, steeda's is a *bit* lighter weight, uses poly bushings, four bolts (albeit smaller) as opposed to one larger bolt on the propeller and is considerably more expensive. Also steeda builds them to order so you have to wait about 2 weeks for them to fabricate and powder coat it.

I'd be glad to give my subjective review on each if Sam would be so kind as to send me a Fays2 test unit for a few weeks .
Old 12-28-2010, 06:55 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

The Watts link on the street makes a huge difference. The whole point is that the more uneven the driving surface combined with wanting to corner hard and accelerate out of corners is the reason to get the Watts link.

The Techco Watts link I have plants the rear with no butt kick out while cornering hard over bumps or dips. The original panhard set up was terrible, anyone driving in the car on a bumpy corner would say "what was that??" referring to the lateral slide of the car on cornering on bumps.

Accelerating out of uneven turns is also much better because there is a lot less throw out to the rear wheels. Along with my better springs, shocks, and swaybars, the watts link is the best money spent for eliminating most of the issues with our solid axles.

In my experience on the street, there is a large improvement in cornering stability with a good Watts link, which does not include the generation 1 and 2 from Saleen, which are prone to having the center bolt fail, and the Gen 1 unit's support arms were designed too short, and did not eliminate lateral movement like the Techco model and Steeda and Fays units. Erik
Old 12-30-2010, 01:48 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

for people that have watts links, does it put down the power better from standstills or from 1-2 gear changes. Less tire squeal or chirping?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:54 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by foolio2k4
for people that have watts links, does it put down the power better from standstills or from 1-2 gear changes. Less tire squeal or chirping?
It does put down the power better, but if you have more HP than the tires will hold you will still break traction. You just break traction in a straight line instead of the rear end kicking out and getting sideways. My car was straight up ornery at WOT from 1-2, but now it just shoots forward like a rocket in a straight line.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:59 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

It helps with the side to side movement of
the rear end during rear end suspension travel.
I dont see it doing much for off the line performance.
The rear end does not 'kick out' all that much
during rear suspension take-off squat.
Do the math. Not enought to 'break traction
or cause you to go sideways.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:07 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
It helps with the side to side movement of
the rear end during rear end suspension travel.
I dont see it doing much for off the line performance.
The rear end does not 'kick out' all that much
during rear suspension take-off squat.
Do the math. Not enought to 'break traction
or cause you to go sideways.
For my car, it made a huge difference. I also threw a LOT of suspension at my car in one day, so it probably isn't just the Watts Link. My car would get seriously out of shape on the 1-2 shift at WOT prior to the Watts Link. It doesn't anymore. It does it in a straight line. I also got Koni Yellows, LCA's, and a new sway bars when I did the Watts.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
It does put down the power better, but if you have more HP than the tires will hold you will still break traction. You just break traction in a straight line instead of the rear end kicking out and getting sideways. My car was straight up ornery at WOT from 1-2, but now it just shoots forward like a rocket in a straight line.
Exactly. Less lateral axle movement translates into better straight line acceleration. Tires and differential would be the main traction improvement items but I've sworn to stop putting money into this car and installed some rear Koni sports yesterday. Now I'm considering selling a kidney to get the fronts! Wow, what a difference the Koni's are compared to the d-specs I was running back there. They soak up everything the road throws at em. I must upgrade the fronts now.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I'm glad we can add you list of those that like the Koni's over D-specs... but dude, I don't recall sending you any Koni rears????? I've got plenty of those in stock, just wondering how's come they didn't come from me?
Old 12-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'm glad we can add you list of those that like the Koni's over D-specs... but dude, I don't recall sending you any Koni rears????? I've got plenty of those in stock, just wondering how's come they didn't come from me?
I thought you said you were out of them when we last spoke! To be fair I did call your shop a few times but you were probably running around on Monday. Saw tirerack had them stocked and picked them up. I can afford the fronts now w/o giving up a kidney if you can locate any.

Quick Reply: Panhard vs Watt's Looking For Detailed Info