Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Stock panhard bar mystery solved

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Well, it's sure interesting. To fill a PHB with shot like that seems contraintuitive. I recall one of my first toys ever (OK, I don't actually recall MINE... but my daughters maybe...) was a RATTLE.... which consisted of a ball filled with beads that.... rattle.

Would love to actually get the downlow on this particular feature from the engineering group at FoMoCo. I'm sure it's very interesting indeed.... after all, you don't do such things... that cost money to be sure, sans a damn good reason.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:51 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yep, got into one back in 07.
Two rubber plugs and steel shot.
Its still all over the floor in the garage...
I made an A-Arm brace out of my
OEM panhard bar...
Attached Thumbnails Stock panhard bar mystery solved-bracesmall.jpg   Stock panhard bar mystery solved-bracesmall2.jpg   Stock panhard bar mystery solved-bracesmall3.jpg   Stock panhard bar mystery solved-braceno.jpg   Stock panhard bar mystery solved-brace3small.jpg  

Old 11-10-2012, 09:55 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Now just to figure out what those two big ol
cast pieces of steel are bolted onto the ends
of my axle are for??
Attached Thumbnails Stock panhard bar mystery solved-springsshocks.jpg  
Old 11-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Couldn't find them shown in the CD shop manual, but I think they're vibration dampers.

Norm
Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yep, add mass to the axle to keep the vibrations to a minimum.
Thanks Ford.
NVH does no bother me so maybe I will remove them...
Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If you're talking about the black square thingy there, it's just a plastic cover I believe.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Blu13gt

It's more than just adding mass to dampen vibration. If that was all then just weld some solid round stock inside the tube to keep noise down. No the bird shot sort of floats or bounces in the opposite direction of the movement of the bar. This cancels out high frequency vibrations. The same method is used to help eliminate ground resonance on certain models of helicopters.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I might be crazy here... but are high frequency vibrations not indeed vibrations?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blu13gt
It's more than just adding mass to dampen vibration. If that was all then just weld some solid round stock inside the tube to keep noise down.
Where you mount it also matters, and that depends on the frequency you're trying to suppress, where it's coming from, and probably on how rigid the path between the noise source and your added mass is.

Norm
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 AM
Blu13gt

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I might be crazy here... but are high frequency vibrations not indeed vibrations?
Yes Hvb is a vibration. Like I said if it was just about mass then a piece of round stock welded into the tube would suffice. But the bird shot bounces and cancels out even more vibration but at a trade off of causing a little rattling. Therefore it is about the FLOATING mass rather than the solid mass. Hope that clarified the confusion. Yes location within the tube affects the frequency that is canceled as well as the post above mentions.

Quick Reply: Stock panhard bar mystery solved