Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Does the S197 have any major vices on the road course?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:02 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Import_Slaya
Be careful out there.
damn!

love how calm you guys were.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:20 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

It's amazing how intact your car is for rolling over that violently. Well, I guess rolling over on top of tires helped a lot.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:48 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Well Slaya, probably don't need to tell you but that really sucks! Did a rear tire go down or something? Or did they just get hot and give up early? Hard to tell, but it sounded like you got on the power early and the rears lit up immediately and unexpectedly. Didn't look like you did anything unusual to provoke that though. Indeed, does remind one to be careful out there.

And really, that's why my original plan was to just get an SN95 for more or less a track beater (and if I killed it on track so be it), and then get the wife a 'nicer' coupe like a G35 or something that I could also take out to the twisties. However, having four cars was a bridge too far for her even if we don't own one of them (company truck). So I need one car to do it all.

Reminds me, on the stability control, I know you can turn off the Traction Control and leave the stability control on, or you can press and hold for 5 seconds and turn everything off. Some 2010 GTs have a Sport Mode though; is that only the Track Pack cars, or do all Premiums have the Sport Mode (where you hit the button twice in succession and it leaves TCS and stability control on but makes the thresholds higher)? Just curious. I'd typically shut it all off on track, but that Sport Mode might be nice to have for when the track is still green/dusty in the first session or you are at an unfamiliar track.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:58 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

As far as the stability control having a sport mode, I think that's only on the track pack or premium equipped models, I'm not sure. I tried the trick on my base model GT and didn't notice anything different than just pressing the button.

Ironically, the car it sounds like you are looking for (low mileage base gt with 3.73s) is identical to mine. I already have the brembos and the other suspension goodies you want as well. Want to buy it? lol.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:07 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

AMD, how much you want for it? . Sadly, living in KS you have to trade a car in at a dealer to take advantage of only paying the difference on sales tax. I could sell the MS6 myself for a bit more than the trade-in value I'm seeing, but that's a PITA I'd rather avoid. Just want to trade and be done with it.

Is it for sale though? Just curious. I'd perfer a Premium, but I'd take a base with the 3.73 package.

As for the stability control, when I tested a base GT I too could not seem to get any kind of Sport Mode to work. Just wasn't sure if it was limited to the Track Pack cars or if all Premiums had that mode too.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:25 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

I'm not actually selling it, but if someone would offer me the right price for it, I'd sell it. I don't need or want to sell it, in fact I'd like to keep it forever. But everything has a price.

Plus, I'm getting sick of paying personal property tax and insurance on a car I don't even drive all that much.

I love the car, but there's part of me thats like "Why not just get rid of it, and your other car, and get one nicer car that you can drive year round?". That's the part of me that regrets trading in my Mazdaspeed 3 on the Mustang and not fixing the issues it had.

Then there's the part of me that's like "Don't combine your fun car, and your daily driver, that's just asking for trouble."
Old 02-14-2011, 12:16 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

AMD, it sounds like I'd need a much more desperate seller . I'd stick with it; I hate having to combine my DD (or my wife's sometimes DD) with my fun car. It's worth it to have two, at least for what I do.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:35 AM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Well, if someone came at me with 26k in hand, it's their car now, lol.

That would leave me 100% debt free (besides mortgage), allow me to go back to school and get my masters degree. I'd get another one eventually, just 3 or 4 years down the road when I can pay cash for one and have a nice savings account built up, that way when a $10k or $15k home repair arises, I can write a check, versus put it on credit.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:31 PM
95PreludeSi
1st Gear Member

Good to hear these cars are durable. I'm looking forward to getting to a HPDE in the fall. It's been a few years. I just wish tires and brakes weren't so expensive for these cars. I guess it goes with the territory.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:30 AM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Picked up a new 2010 GT Premium on Tuesday. Kona blue, 3.73 axle package, a few other things, and a questionable hood scoop (OEM Ford) . But I can live with that. When they give you $9k off sticker (going rate for new 2010s for obvious reasons) and a more than fair trade-in value, you can't be too fickle about options.

Anyway, looking forward to getting to the track; probably in April if the weather will cooperate. Now to figure out brakes, tires, suspension, etc. I'll probably track it on the stock suspension once just to try it out as is, but it'll be pointless to destroy the OEM all season Pirellis and the OEM brake pads that quickly so I'll need to start figuring some things out in those areas pretty soon. Should see some BBK questions on this forum from me in the near future . . .

Now I'm officially part of the club!

Phil
2010 GT

Quick Reply: Does the S197 have any major vices on the road course?