Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

For those with BBKs, any knockback issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Default For those with BBKs, any knockback issues?

Looking at a few BBKs for my 2010 GT. May hold off a year and just beat on the OEM front brakes, but ultimately I'll need a BBK up front for track use.

Anyway, just curious if the S197 Mustang has any pad knockback issues? That would be where you are cornering hard with sticky tires and the front hub/bearing assembly actually flexes allowing the rotor to 'push' the pads back a bit and leaving you with a nasty surprise of a very long brake pedal at your next corner. You can pump them up usually with a couple pumps, but suffice to say it's rather annoying. Had the problem on my WRX with a Stoptech kit once I increased front end grip quite a bit, and hope to not have it again. That car was notorious for a realatively weak hub.

Generally only applies to cars with fixed calipers (Stoptech, Brembo, etc.) and with bigger rotors that give a longer 'lever' with which to push the pads back into their calipers. If the car has sufficiently stout hubs/bearings, it shouldn't be an issue. Just curious if anyone has had this problem.

Phil
2010 GT
Old 02-25-2011, 03:08 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

I had a conversation with a vendor a while ago about their big brakes for the S197. Apparently the front brakes are fine, but the rears will knock back because of end-float in the rear axle shaft-hub assembly.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:46 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Good deal. I won't likely do any kind of BBK on the rear other than possibly the Steeda rear kit. Which uses the OEM sliding calipers and thus shouldn't introduce much knockback in the scheme of things. Anyone who tracks with a Stoptech front kit or the GT500 Brembos have any issues?

Phil
Old 02-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I run Stoptech ST40 calipers w/2-pc 14" rotors. Sweet system as you probably know from your WRX experience. I haven't experienced any knockback problems, but I also (by coincidence) installed new hubs when the bbk went on. So I'm sure that only helped matters. They've been on the car for a year, but mostly seeing only track time. I haven't put many street miles on them.

FWIW, I'm not sure from your original post if you're holding off tracking the car until you get a bbk or if you meant you're open to "beating on" the OEM brakes by tracking them this year. If the former, no need to do that (you're missing way too much fun!); the OEM system is quite competent when properly set up (pads, fluid, & ducts). And of course, I don't think anyone really "needs" a bbk to run well on the track, but one may justifiably "strongly want" the upgrade when the time is right. Lots of variables to consider, but it sort of sounds like you're familiar with them.

Have fun this year! I'm already getting freakishly excited...

Best,
-j
Old 02-26-2011, 11:06 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Oh hell no, I'm not holding off on track time! Just got the car a week ago and need another 800 miles of break-in, but by track season I'll be very ready to get out there.

Almost certainly I'll just get some Motul and some XP10s at all four corners and figure out some ducting and get by this year on that. Given it's a new kind of car for me on track, it'll probably be just fine. By next year, though, I hope to upgrade. And of course being my car is new, presumably Ford put new hubs on when they built it so they'll be fairly fresh even by next year. Very glad to hear knockback isn't a major issue. That'll leave me to focus on my questionable driving, which can be a major issue .

Phil
Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 AM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DPE
Very glad to hear knockback isn't a major issue.
I've seen a guy driving the Shelby GT converted to a SCCA racer having front knockback issues but that was only beacuse the hub nut was getting loose. He said it's sometimes difficult to keep it tight in race conditions. What was also interesting that he was limited to GT500 brakes by the rules. He ran DTC70/60 combo.