Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tires = Improvement

Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Default Tires = Improvement

So, I finally ditched my Goodyear F1 All-Seasons. I've been wanting to step up to summer tires with good treadwear for some time now. Had the new tires on for all of a day and took a road trip with the wife from DC to Carlisle PA this past weekend. While the wife and her mother went shopping on Saturday, I decided to hit the mountain and back roads near Carlisle for some spirited fun. The weather cleared up and it was beautiful outside. I've been there before on the all-seasons, so I know exactly how my car has fared in the past. I make sure that I remember entry-exit points on roads, keep tabs on what my car is doing and when and save it for later. I call it "driver-car education".

Man, the change is - for lack of better term as I sit here feeling for it - dramatic. Much stickier. Better turn-in response. Less understeer. Not just that, but more TRACTION: accelerating out of turns, but I'm more impressed with how much more she hooks in 1st and 2nd gear from a dig or roll.

I thought my all-seasons were cool for what I was doing at the time: economy and life-span of the tire while just road-tripping, occasional fun, occasional track-days and some spirited driving.

Now it feels like a "whole nutha" level of performance with stickier rubber mounted. I'm going a little stir crazy waiting for my next track day at Summit Point. Good thing I have the mental video and feel of my last time out "saved to file". I'm always trying to improve and get better. Can't wait to see how she handles, now.

Anyways, just felt like sharing. Thanks for looking!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Wait until you try a set of R-comps!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:17 AM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
R-Comps = Crack

Once you've had crack you'll never go back!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayel579
R-Comps = Crack

Tell me about it. My NT01s lasted all of the way though about 10 events last year and will go a few more this year which I think is pretty reasonable.

However, I keep pondering about trying at least one set of Hoosier R6s but the price per lap gets pretty steep and I'm afraid I may never want to go back to NT01s.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Greg - you don't mention which tires? Is it the General UHPs (in your sig). Which road out of Carlise? (I live 10 miles away from there).

I'll be at the TrackDaze event in May, look forward to seeing you there. Shenandoah is a wild ride.

Brad
Old 03-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayel579
R-Comps = Crack

Jason - you doing any track events this year?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:35 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
R-comps are basically slicks, right? Sounds like a ton of fun...but can't swing a dedicated set of track wheels/tires.

...and I can't roll awesome like Argonaut: towing a trailor full of wheels in his vette!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:50 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Greg - you don't mention which tires? Is it the General UHPs (in your sig). Which road out of Carlise? (I live 10 miles away from there).

I'll be at the TrackDaze event in May, look forward to seeing you there. Shenandoah is a wild ride.

Brad
Brad...sorry and yep. Exclaim UHP's.

In Carlisle, I ride Waggoners Gap from 944 all the way out until it becomes something else...then something else and so on. Then I turn around when I've had enough fun without disappearing from my wife's family for too long (that's where they live). I usually just keep following the road "straight", and avoid taking lefts/rights at stop signs to not get confused when on the return trip in the event I don't have the gps, being I'm not from the area and all.

Awesome you're coming out in May. I have a group of guys here at the Pentagon coming with me. Most plan on camping out in the paddock. You're right, Shenandoah is wild...love it. However, I'm REALLY looking forward to that german restaurant at that inn (can't remember the name) about 15 miles from the track.

Greg
Old 03-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Waggoners Gap (Hwy 74) is fun. Here is a good loop for you:
- Take Waggoners Gap north all the way to Ickesburg
- Stay on it (74) thru Ickesburg and then up and over the mountain (lots of switchbacks)
- Take it to Hwy 75 and turn south (left)
- Stay heading south on 75 to Honey Grove and take a left on 850
- 850 is another curvy road. Stay on 850 heading east thru Landisburg and back to 74
- Take a right (south) on 74 (Waggoners Gap) back to Carlisle

This will give you 3 good sets of switchbacks (one of them twice...so 4 sets of switch backs) and some nice open stretches.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 AM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Jason - you doing any track events this year?
Long story Brad, I will PM you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires = Improvement