Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

2010 GT Front Brake Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Default 2010 GT Front Brake Issues?

I have always had a slight squeek when on the brakes. A few months ago the front passenger side got really bad. I removed the wheel checked the rotor and pads and all looked good. I cleaned the rotor and the squeek when away for a day.
I recently installed some 20" bullet rims.
The squeek is still there and I have been noticing that I have a shimmy when I get on the brakes with a little force. The pedal feels soft also.
If I brake really hard it will pull right and the front passenger tire will lock, unlock, lock with the pedal feeling funny. Definately feels like something wrong.

I have 13,000 miles on the Mustang and haven't been hard on the brakes at all.

Anyone have any issues like this and fix it.
I'm hoping it would be something as simple as needing to bleed the brakes. I plan on buying a brake bleeder.

Opinions needed.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:45 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

The locking and unlocking and brake pedal pulsing with hard braking is your normal anti-skid braking system in operation. In a panic situation continue to push hard on the pedal and don't let up even if it feels funny to you. However, I think both sides should operate together. Also, Mustangs tend to have a soft pedal. Seeing you still have a warranty, a visit to the dealer seems to be in order for the other issues.

Cheers.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:34 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Definitely start with a good pressure bleed (Motive Products Power Bleeder is a good choice and get the cap specific to the Mustang) and see what that does. Wouldn't account for a squeak, but if for some reason your RF caliper has air in it it could account for some strange behavior. Might also swap pads (and maybe rotors) from left to right, to see if that moves the squeak to the LF or if it stays on the RF. And to see if it changes the unruly behavior. Make sure the bleed screws are tight all around (not crazy tight, just good and snug).

That's kind of a weird one on a car that new that sounds like it hasn't been tracked or otherwise abused. Try the simple/cheap stuff first, and if that doesn't do it then maybe see if you can make a warranty claim. And if you're scared of a warranty claim given your mods, I guess worst case you could buy new calipers/pads/rotors for about $200 shipped from NTO and figure if you throw enough parts at it that'll take care of it .
Old 04-21-2011, 10:22 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure the way the car is acting it is not the anti-skid. I've had the car for a while and it just now started it.

I just hate taking my car to the dealer and having others work on it. It doesn't seem to be electrical since there are no CEL's.

I figured worst case I'll need to replace the rotors and pads.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

You could have the rotors cut to get them true again? Even some new out of the box rotors aren't true. My local Napa cuts them for $10 ea.