Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Which springs for a 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:40 AM
whitetstang

Default Which springs for a 2011 GT

Hi guys, I have a 2011 GT with the brembo package and I'm planning to lower it in the range of 1-1.5". The porpouse is mainly for look but better handling would be welcome. I have read and search the forum a lot but I haven't been able to find a comparison between the different kind of springs. I have noticed that the Steeda Sport are very popular, but what about the Eibach prokit, or the H&R Sport, or the BMR? Any input would be welcome. I would like to also understand pro and cons of progressive springs versus regular ones.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:35 PM
DESERTEAGLE50
1st Gear Member

save your money and get coilovers!!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:07 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

My buddy has a brembo package 5.0 and I have the non brembo. We both run Eibach Sportlines. They dropped us about 1 all around at first with the stock shocks/struts. They are amazing! We pull corners now like never before and if you want less brake dive or less rear dip when you drop the clutch well these do it very well. Check my build thread for videos and pics
Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Sportlines may get you a little lower than what you're looking for. As for Linear versus Progressive....linear means that as you compress the spring it maintains a constant spring rate through the spring's compression range. A progressive spring has differnent spring rates depending on how much the spring is compressed. A linear rate spring is generally better for handling, and progressive rate spring will give you a better ride.

Here's a pretty good link I found discussing it.

http://www.nichols.nu/tip334.htm

And mtflyboy25, watch out pulling corners on base....SF will get you!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi

hahaha yeah... No squeal is nice when taking the corner at the speed limit haha..

The drop is sexy and I can still navigate most Colorado Roads... They are horrible for lowered cars but I do good even with my full 3 inch exhaust...

Old 05-02-2011, 09:02 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Very clean looking stang. The auto hobby shop there is top notch if you can stand the hired help there. I forget his name, but one guy was always a real a-hole. I built the 530 rwhp stang that's in my sig while I was at the zoo. You wouldn't believe the stupid **** I did on base. Should have had my driving privileges revokes several times over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcp1-0KhE1w

Last edited by parchisi; 05-02-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 PM
whitetstang

Originally Posted by mtflyboy25
My buddy has a brembo package 5.0 and I have the non brembo. We both run Eibach Sportlines. They dropped us about 1 all around at first with the stock shocks/struts. They are amazing! We pull corners now like never before and if you want less brake dive or less rear dip when you drop the clutch well these do it very well. Check my build thread for videos and pics
Thank for the info, i thought that the sportlines lowered the car even more than 1".
BTW your car looks really good! I read the entire thread, very informative
Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 PM
whitetstang

Originally Posted by parchisi
Sportlines may get you a little lower than what you're looking for. As for Linear versus Progressive....linear means that as you compress the spring it maintains a constant spring rate through the spring's compression range. A progressive spring has differnent spring rates depending on how much the spring is compressed. A linear rate spring is generally better for handling, and progressive rate spring will give you a better ride.

Here's a pretty good link I found discussing it.

http://www.nichols.nu/tip334.htm

Thanks, that was a very good link
Old 05-02-2011, 09:47 PM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whitetstang
Thank for the info, i thought that the sportlines lowered the car even more than 1".
BTW your car looks really good! I read the entire thread, very informative
Thanks I like it.. I am looking to get blown soon haha... End of the summer
Old 05-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whitetstang
i thought that the sportlines lowered the car even more than 1".
They do. More like 1.6" front / 2" rear. Sportlines are really mostly for show unless you're also willing to revise the suspension geometry.

Pro-kits are something like 1" / 1.3". In general, going much past that and handling stops getting better and starts dropping off again (there's a bit more to this handling stuff than just skidpad lateral g's).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-03-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Which springs for a 2011 GT