Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Track day prep and tools to take?

Old 05-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Drano38

Default Track day prep and tools to take?

Now that the brakes and fluid are changed out and bedded, do I need to bleed the brakes before I go to the track at MAM?
Can the brakes be bled with the wheels on? I’m sure it would be crowded getting a tube and wrench on the bleeder.
Best guess of tire pressure for stock 19” Pirelli PZero Nero All Season?
And what should I take along?
I’m planning on:
Tire pressure gauge
Torque wrench and breaker bar for lug nuts
Jack, jack stands, tire chocks, and bleeder stuff
Brake fluid/funnel
Tarp to put stuff on at paddock
Lots of questions, but this is my first trac day , so I want to make sure I take what I need.
Thanks
Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

I do lots of track days and I'm still refining what I bring. Ask around at the track, and check out what the other mustang guys have.

I would add:
  • distilled water;
  • motor oil;

I have summer PZeros, and I shoot for 41 psi hot. That's what the Boss 302 manual says, and it seemed to be working for me. It works out to about 34 psi cold.

Brake pads should have more than 50% life left. NEVER use your parking brake, and try not to sit still with the brakes on while they're hot. A cool down lap is a good idea before you pit, but it's not always possible. I try to go for a short cool down drive after each session. It makes getting accurate tire pressures difficult, but it helps avoid brake problems.

Don't forget to have fun.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:09 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Drano38
Now that the brakes and fluid are changed out and bedded, do I need to bleed the brakes before I go to the track at MAM?
Can the brakes be bled with the wheels on? I’m sure it would be crowded getting a tube and wrench on the bleeder.
Best guess of tire pressure for stock 19” Pirelli PZero Nero All Season?
And what should I take along?
I’m planning on:
Tire pressure gauge
Torque wrench and breaker bar for lug nuts
Jack, jack stands, tire chocks, and bleeder stuff
Brake fluid/funnel
Tarp to put stuff on at paddock
Lots of questions, but this is my first trac day , so I want to make sure I take what I need.
Thanks
First track day? Helmet, tire pressure gauge, torque wrench. Period.
If you feel the need to bleed the brakes, do this prior to the track day. Tire pressures 34 to 36 pounds.

Have fun, start slow, work on technique not speed. Take instruction if available and again work on technique. Take care of the brakes. Don't jump on them at every opportunity. Listen carefully at the driver's meeting and ensure you are familiar with the passing rules and check your mirrors often.

Have fun.

Cheers.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Your brakes should be fine (carbo tech with ATE...correct?) I wouldn't worry about the jack and stands, if you do for some reason need them you can borrow. Thats one of the great things about track days, always lots of folks around to help you out and they love doing it. As you get more into this your list will build but when just starting out the goal is to focus on you...not the car. So take things that will make you comfortable:
- rain gear just in case, including the tarp you mention
- chair, cooler, snacks, lots of water, sunscreen, sunglasses
- take some aspirin or equivalent and I'd recommend some anti-motion pills - you will most likely get the chance to ride shotgun with an instructor and it can be a stomach wrenching experience.
- camera
- torque wrench and proper socket
- Oil is a good idea - both engine and brake fluid
- Helmet, paperwork, long sleeve shirt, long pants, closed toe shoes
- Stock seats? if so prepare to slide around. If you can geta CG lock in time buy one. If not so of that soft rubber matting you put in the drawers of a tool chest to keep the tools from sliding around can work pretty good to sit on.
- paper towels and/or rags
- Most important is a good attitude and a willingness to learn
Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Traction Control Off.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Drano38

Thanks for the inputs everyone.
I'll leave the jack/jack stand at home.
I guess I'll bleed the brakes this week since I just bedded them, just to validate they are good to go.

Argonaut, yep, new XP10 and XP8 w/ Supberblue per my other post. Also have Bobcats w/ that order to put on after I get home.

Chair, rain gear, food, water, sun tan lotion, oil, brake fluid, umbrella, and other items everyone posted, all sound like a great idea.

Yes, factory seat, so I'll pick up a tool drawer liner. If I like track day as much as I think I will, I'll look into a race seat.

MAM requires instruction (class room and track), so I'll do that. And from there, I'll slowly build up. I agree with you, from what I've read, smooth and a good line creates a fast lap, not being over-aggressive.

Again, thanks for the help and I'll post the fun I had after I get back.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Swoope

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
Traction Control Off.
really?

i am confused by this comment. first track day. off?

first day you should not be close to hitting it.. and if you do well it has done a good job!

i find on my first session solo for the weekend. i leave it on.. it shows me where i am being not so smart.

after that i let the tires tell me..

beers
Old 05-05-2011, 03:28 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

My concern is for the wear on the rear brake pads that appears to be caused by the traction control.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:04 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

My experience with Ford's Pre-2010 traction control is that it does absolutely nothing to keep you from spinning. If anything, it will cut in while you are sliding, and you will overcorrect and snap around the other way. If you have stability control on your 2010, you probably want to leave that on. It may actually help you if you get a little sideways.