Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Summit Point Shenandoah Circuit 14/15 May

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 PM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moochman4life
I use the same camera. I love that thing. I have it set up to capture video inverted from my rear window. I know guys like to use mounts that attach to headrests, but I like being able to see everything that is going on with me inside the car. Remember, the vids are cool but I'm using them more as a tool for helping me get better. Believe it or not, a 1080p 30+ minute vid is like 4.x gig. Just get the 32gb chip and you'll be fine.

Dude, everyone who lives in NOVA/DC and loves the rush of driving cars should hit up Summit Point for an HPDE once in their life. They are so educational.

What branch you in? I'm Navy.

Hooyah.
I just picked up that camera recently, really itching to try it out at the track. I don't have a card that large, but hearing what you're saying I may have to soon.

I fully understand what you mean about hitting up a HPDE. I fully intend on doing that sometime, sooner than later hopefully.

I'm also Navy, stationed at NAS Patuxent River. On an IA right now, been gone for 11 months (definitely ready to be home).
Old 05-26-2011, 07:32 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
mooch - some things that I noticed watching all of your videos last night. Understand that my "really hard driving" experience is limited to autocross at this point.

Noisy tires.

Lots of small right hand repositioning that does not appear to be justified by the amount the wheel was further steered. Maybe it's a difference in the distance back from the steering wheel that you and I sit, but I've rarely needed much more steering even at autocross than I could comfortably manage without shifting hand position.

I was itching for a camera angle that would pick up the left turn apexing a little better, and body 'english' at the kitchen table wasn't helping me much
And to have better hearing to pick up your instructor's spoken guidance.

Norm
Brad and Norm, thanks for the inputs on the hand-shuffling. I've been over my vids a few times and really paid attention to what I was doing. Yeah, I could definitely use less movement on the wheel. Next time out (possibly next month), it'll definitely be something I work on.

One note on the tire noise: it's normal for street tires driven fairly hard + on a road course to make all kinds of squeeling. The noise in the vids was "good" noise. From what everyone keeps saying, r-comps or slicks don't make much at all, though. Don't have much experience with that, though. I'm rocking General Exclaims with 380 treadwear.