Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Streets of Willow Track Day yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:03 PM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

Default Streets of Willow Track Day yesterday

This was my first proper track day since November and the first since I dinged the bumper at the kart track.

My fastest lap was 0.1 secs slower than last time but I had a dozen laps within a second of the fastest. So better overall than last time where the best lap was much faster than any others. The changes to the car since last time were power adders (x-pipe, CAI, UD pulleys and Bama-tune) and front brake ducts.

First thing I need is some more driving instruction. I think there is more in the car than I am getting, a couple of seconds at least.

Things to figure out...

The water temperature went high during 10/10 lapping (below red zone but I have never before seen it move off the middle position) on my last couple of sessions so I pulled over and let it cool but my driving got worse as I was watching the gauge too much. In fact, I totally blew the turn from the straight into the skip pad, executing a full 360 spin. The oil temperature stayed normal. And temp comes back to normal within 2 minutes of cool down driving or even sitting in the pits. Anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?

Braking the Mustang hard from over 100mph is SCARY! This is not new - every time I've been on the track the car wants to go squirrelly braking from over 100mph. My brakes are stock size but I am using race pads and DOT4 fluid (with air ducts this time). Does everyone get this? Any thoughts?

The land area on NT05's is wearing on the outboard side and not on the inside. Front and back. The outer shoulders seem relatively fine. I have about 1.5 degrees negative camber on front from the Steeda sports spring lowering but no means of adjustment. This happens at 40psi or 30psi and between. I know more camber at front should help but at the back?

Funny
My friend took a V6 Camaro and had the side curtain air bags detonate during the first session, last hot lap. He was talking to Onstar during the cool down lap. Hilarious!

Finally, Speedventures puts on a really good day. Good safety, chilled atmosphere, nice crowd of people and well-organized so you get plenty of clean laps.

Cheers!
Old 05-22-2011, 03:09 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Im going to be out there on June 11th, with a whole bunch of other guys. You should come on out agian.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fasterplease

Things to figure out...

The water temperature went high during 10/10 lapping (below red zone but I have never before seen it move off the middle position) on my last couple of sessions so I pulled over and let it cool but my driving got worse as I was watching the gauge too much. In fact, I totally blew the turn from the straight into the skip pad, executing a full 360 spin. The oil temperature stayed normal. And temp comes back to normal within 2 minutes of cool down driving or even sitting in the pits. Anyone experienced this? Any thoughts?

Braking the Mustang hard from over 100mph is SCARY! This is not new - every time I've been on the track the car wants to go squirrelly braking from over 100mph. My brakes are stock size but I am using race pads and DOT4 fluid (with air ducts this time). Does everyone get this? Any thoughts?

The land area on NT05's is wearing on the outboard side and not on the inside. Front and back. The outer shoulders seem relatively fine. I have about 1.5 degrees negative camber on front from the Steeda sports spring lowering but no means of adjustment. This happens at 40psi or 30psi and between. I know more camber at front should help but at the back?

Cheers!
Some suggestions/comments

Could the tune be causing the over temprature - i.e. it is leaning the engine out too much at sustained high revs. My Roush tune just throws in fuel at high revs.

It seems that the "squirrelly" rear end, i.e. it tries to wiggle from side to side under heavy braking from high speeds, is a characteristic of our cars. A nice big "rice racer" wing on the back end might help get some weight on it as it does lift at high speed. I've switched from XP10/XP8 F/R to XP10/XP10 F/R this season to see if that helps. I'll find out on Friday at Mosport as there I am braking from 130+.

You will need to rotate front to rear to help tire wear.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 PM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRock
Im going to be out there on June 11th, with a whole bunch of other guys. You should come on out agian.
Sounds good. I'll try to make it work.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:30 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

it's funny you mentioned that about the nt05s.

i had a very similar issue with the outside edge of the center tread strip wearing but the outside shoulders showing no issues... at the same track too!

what sort of times are you running at streets? and clockwise or counter-clockwise?

looks like we're running similar set-ups, although i just have tunes for the motor...
Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 PM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

1:32 flat CCW

3 track days for one set of tires is too few for me.

Any thoughts on a more durable street/track tire?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

I have over 20,000 miles and 16 auto-x runs on my Star Specs and they STILL have decent tread left.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:35 PM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

I've heard the star specs are good. It may not be an apples to apples comparison though. The braking and cornering speeds are very fast at Streets. How fast do you get on an autocross course? I don't do any damage to tires at Adam's kart track because it is tight and top speeds are slow...and run times are shorter. Thoughts?
Old 06-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The tire wear sounds suspiciously like "second rib wear". I understand that to be more likely when wide radial tires are fitted to narrowish rims.

faster - are you still on the OE 18 x 8.5" GT wheels or only 9" aftermarkets?

Norm
Old 06-07-2011, 09:03 PM
fasterplease
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
The tire wear sounds suspiciously like "second rib wear". I understand that to be more likely when wide radial tires are fitted to narrowish rims.

faster - are you still on the OE 18 x 8.5" GT wheels or only 9" aftermarkets?

Norm
2nd rib wear is a good description of the symptom. I'm running Steeda Pentar 18 x 9.5" with 275/40 tires. Is that too much rubber for the wheels?

Quick Reply: Streets of Willow Track Day yesterday