Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

So I thought autocross was really fun...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Nice work OP, I like your rims, are those stock or something? They look black with a chrome lip in that first pic. VERY nice!

Originally Posted by parchisi
Second day in the intermediate group, had an M3 almost lose it in front of me.
Probably because he saw you in the rear view and was like "FUUUU 5.0 GT!!!!!"

LOL.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'm the opposite. Track days are fun, but the sheer on the edge and competition of autocross is what I like. I mean you don't get a lot of the competition at a local level usually, and it's not the same kind of pressure as a National event.

To each his own. I get bored with the track quickly. Road-racing is different, but who can afford that?
True, there's no real competition at a track event, but I love the speed and wide open nature of the track, not to mention that I enjoyed doing so many laps in order to keep tweaking my technique. You only get so many attempts at an autocross. That said, I plan to keep on doing both to the max extent possible.

That's awesome, fella. Where you stationed?
Currently at Cannon, AFB....beautiful Clovis, NM...

Nice work OP, I like your rims, are those stock or something? They look black with a chrome lip in that first pic. VERY nice!
They are the 18x9 black 10th Anniversary cobra wheels from latemodelrestoration.com

And for anybody interested, the cut Steeda Comp front springs with D-specs seem to be working just fine in the performance and looks departments. At least with my MM camber plates maxed out, it actually has a tendency to oversteer even with the shorter front springs, no bottoming out either.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:16 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by corruptor
Only problem I had was remembering the layout/cones.
Most courses have some sort of "flow" to them, in that when you exit from one feature you'll be pointed more or less in the direction of the next. Assuming that you're still under control at that point, anyway.

It may help to draw your own little course map as you make one of your course walks, and try to draw your "line". Chances are that the places you find hard to get drawn somewhere near right will be the places you'll have the most trouble with during a run, so your own map will be worth more than anything that might ever be provided for you. Review it between runs.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-16-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:42 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

Once you go track, you never go back, as they say. Well, ok, no one actually says that, and not all believe in it, but after a few years of autox I started doing track events almost exclusively and have for the past 10 years (maybe snuck in 1 or 2 autocrosses in that time). I enjoy a good autox, don't get me wrong, but between the time on track vs. overall time spent at the event ratio and the outright speed factor I sure enjoy the track a lot more.

Probably doesn't help that to be competitive nationally in autox takes a lot more weekends at autocrosses than my life would allow for plus a car that's set up as close to perfectly as the rules of whatever class will allow (thus typically making it a less than ideal street car). Oh, and it probably takes certain driving skills too, which I lack. Just too many memories of having a total of 5-6 minutes of admittedly intense and awesome seat time preceeded and/or followed by 3 hours+ of waiting and/or ******** cones.

To each their own; welcome to the world of track events parchisi!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 PM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

That's why I really liked Solo Trials back when I lived in Denver. We used the runways at Stapleton after it was closed. Nice long courses, a few kinks tossed in to keep things interesting. Most of the speed of open track, most of the competition of autocrossing, plenty of runoff space and 30 seconds between you and the next car. (Plus I was a bit ham fisted and autocross didn't play into my strenghts like trials did) I have to say I am really digging autocrossing again though, I love the new Mustang and I am slowly working my way into being almost close to kind of competative sort of (Thanks for the setup advice Sam, I am down to less than 3 seconds off Lee in my second points event)
Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 PM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Most courses have some sort of "flow" to them, in that when you exit from one feature you'll be pointed more or less in the direction of the next. Assuming that you're still under control at that point, anyway.

It may help to draw your own little course map as you make one of your course walks, and try to draw your "line". Chances are that the places you find hard to get drawn somewhere near right will be the places you'll have the most trouble with during a run, so your own map will be worth more than anything that might ever be provided for you. Review it between runs.

Norm
Every now and then you come across a section that just doesn't flow for whatever reason. Last event in DC I had a mental block on the upper section and wasted two runs just trying to stay on course.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:48 AM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stepqhen
That's why I really liked Solo Trials back when I lived in Denver. We used the runways at Stapleton after it was closed. Nice long courses, a few kinks tossed in to keep things interesting. Most of the speed of open track, most of the competition of autocrossing, plenty of runoff space and 30 seconds between you and the next car. (Plus I was a bit ham fisted and autocross didn't play into my strenghts like trials did) I have to say I am really digging autocrossing again though, I love the new Mustang and I am slowly working my way into being almost close to kind of competative sort of (Thanks for the setup advice Sam, I am down to less than 3 seconds off Lee in my second points event)
hahaha 30 seconds between us lol......Im pretty sure he was on my rear bumper for the good part of 3 laps