Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Eibach Sportlines on 10+ stang

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

To be fair anyone can spin something anyway they want. 35 years of experience doesn't mean necessary that they know what they are doing. Also, someone can do something for 5 and be a genius at it. It happens, but not usually.

I'm 37, so no I don't have 35 years of experience. Then again, I've been messing with S197's since they came out, and nobody can have been doing it any longer. I also have a lot of pretty good results in the car. I don't know the friend, and he might be a smart guy--but opinions vary depending on experience, understanding, and use.

I only point this out because lately there have been a rash of "I heard, I was told, I know I should do" statements made to me from customers. When I asked what they heard, where and all that I find that most of it is based on here-say or at best anecdotal things that pop up on the web or from some guy they know. There isn't much detail or explanation to support the position, which I try for my customers.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Wise words.

At the same time, aren't there wide margins of usable configuration in a street car? That really is the difference form car to car, brand to brand, parts to parts.

How much do you think Caroll Shelby and Smokey Yunik would agree on sitting across from one another? If there was only one solution and absolute answer, there would be only one car and no parts to hop it up with.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You forgot person to person, and that's the biggest difference.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 AM
elperucho

i also got the sportline from eibach fro my '12, and so far i have no complaints, i havent done the alignment though, i dont know if its a necessity. as well if there is any issue on the panhard bar or camber let me know please

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
I put the sportlines on my '11 V6 a couple of weeks ago. Single best money I've spent on any car in recent history.

My car did not require any changes, though I do need to measure the camber to be sure. I also want to look at the panhard bar to see if there is any concern there. Driving wise, zero complaints.

Here is what it looks like:
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by elperucho
i also got the sportline from eibach fro my '12, and so far i have no complaints, i havent done the alignment though, i dont know if its a necessity. as well if there is any issue on the panhard bar or camber let me know please
Tire wear patterns take a little time and mileage to develop, so you probably wouldn't notice anything right away.

As a quick and dirty check on camber, I suggest finding as level of a place as possible and holding a level or a digital angle finder up against the wheels and either measuring the gap or reading the number. It really is that easy.

Rear axle location can be checked for being "visually centered" with a plumb bob where you hold the string against the fender openings and check the distances between the string and the tires to see how close to equal they are.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-02-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:00 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

I am happy to report that I have no ill tire wear at 14k, having installed my springs at 2500 with no changes to alignment or additional parts. My panhard bar was fine, measuring the tire to "frame" distance and tire to fender clearance. It's about 1/8" off center.
Camber came in right at the edge of OE tolerance. Caster was unchanged.

I forget if I mentioned earlier, I did add 1/2" spacers on top of the rear spring after about 500 miles to stop bumping the secondary springs. It's been great since, including a lot of miles with 4 people and some luggage.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:29 PM
elperucho

Originally Posted by Truckbutt
If you are doing about a 1 inch drop, most people will say that you don't need new caster/camber plates. Some will say that you do. I don't know about the 12's but lowering springs on the 11's require the GT500 strut mounts. In addition, if you are putting in lowering springs you should consider changing your factory struts/shocks. The lower stance results in less travel and will quickly wear out the factory struts/shocks.
well the 11 and 12 stangs are pretty much the same thing, i also just bought some sportline springs from eibach, and i have to get the alignment and the shocks/struts so i dont blow my stock ones. is it a good idea if you just buy the gt500 strut mount upgrade? wouldnt it have an effect if you mix eibach with ford racing?