Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

ATTN: Koni STR.T's are BACK IN STOCK!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Benjamin T

being a newbie i'll probably get flamed for saying this... but the way i see it i would rather give the extra $30 to a fellow listmember here who has contributed so much to this board. think of it as a way for us to help support sam in representing the mustang on the circuit and getting another scca win
Old 07-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

"I agree you can't buy experienced advice, but you can shop around for the best deals."

More true words have never been spoken. And that's the trouble. Folks want to *combine* the two. They want the advice, then to go shop around. If you guys want to shop around, that's ok with me. I have very fair pricing especially when you get the advice for free. But do me a favor--if a deal is what you're after, tell me up front. Because time is money, and frankly I need to be helping folks who aren't trying to nickel and dime, and want the advice.

Again, I hate to say it but this is why small businesses have it tough in this country. Few seem to care about anything but saving $2.59.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:43 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

The only reason I'd ever stop buying from Sam is that he keeps ruining the SCCA pax index for other Mustang autocrossers! I'm guessing the ESP index will take a hit this year.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Thanks for the info Sam.

And Truck there is nothing wrong with pointing out a low price.
But putting it on a thread where a sponsor is advertising is not a classy move.

You should have made a thread and just said you found them available and post the price you found them at if you wanted to help members.
The way you posted it was pretty much to bash the business that posted their availability of the product.

As stated before these are on back order a lot and he did us a favor by telling us about the availability.
And stating you know how much he makes or that he could easily drop shipping is plain B.S.

If you knew ANYTHING about small business you would know that this is not true.
He is offering a good price for this product. He is not trying to inflate the price or take advantage of customers in any way, and that is EXACTLY what you were trying to say he was doing.

Really man, shame on you.
You owe an apology no doubt.
As a matter of fact... you should DELETE what you posted.
If you really wanted to also offer help and NOT bash another sponsor that has been good to this forum, you would just make a different thread, and say nothing about THIS business in the thread.

There are ways of doing things with taste and their are cheap low down ways of doing things. Fact is the sponsor here was doing it the correct way and although you accused him of things, YOU were the one doing things in bad taste.

Thanks again Sam for the info and thank you for being a good sponsor to the forum.
Supporting small businesses is IMPORTANT to our nation and I would gladly pay a bit more for shipping to help a small business out that offers great products and takes care of its customers.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:43 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
being a newbie i'll probably get flamed for saying this... but the way i see it i would rather give the extra $30 to a fellow listmember here who has contributed so much to this board. think of it as a way for us to help support sam in representing the mustang on the circuit and getting another scca win
Here we go, keep it in the family kinda...

Truckbutt, it was a dick move.
He's a Sponsor, opening up his own thread about a product he sells.
He doesn't need to hear about a web site that will never do jack for us.

And what is it? A $30 difference?
That breaks my F****** heart!!
What kind of return policy do that site have in case of a problem and I love to see what kind of an answer I'd get from them when it comes to questions about proper adjustments on a particular car.
I'd put that extra cash towards a piece of mind like Sam (or other qualified vendor) in that situation.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:58 PM
txminime

It's funny that truckbutt wanted to talk about price and service, but apparently willing to give up service just to save $30 in shipping charges...

Yeah, I know shox.com. These are the sales droids who sold me a set of Tokico illumina for my Fox3 before I knows anything about suspension. The Illumina was barely able to dampen the "C" springs at full firm setting, and one of the strut blew out at TWS after 5 months.

I called them for help with warranty and was basically told that I'm SOL and try to take it up with Tokico by myself. So much for their expertise and customer support.

FC
Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Sam, just reading through this thread has made me a future buyer, whether it be this mustang or the next.

I can understand your frustration, Truckbutt, with not being able to determine the availability of a popular part. But you have no idea what the main supplier (Koni) and shops like Sam's go through to get parts on a consistent basis to TRY to keep up with demand.

Here's the problem, Truckbutt. I've been interning for the past year in the field with material expediting and supply chain management at a major defense contractor for the U.S and have dealt with some pretty complex/high scrap rate/high flow materials, and it can be highly unpredictable. You can never know for sure when a high demand part will be shipped in. Coming from Koni's point of view, they have TONS of different distributors to supply these suspension parts and have to spread these parts out (especially according to regional popularity). With such a high demand and an ever varying total number of hours that they're workforce puts in each week, it is an absolute logistical nightmare correctly and consistently disbursing parts on such a huge scale. Couple that with a scrap rate that exponentially increases as worker overtime hours increase (every component in that part does not have a 100% yield) and you have a WIDE range of variability.

The fact that Sam couldn't give you a date because he was behind on orders due to this high demand upset you? Well that sounds like a personal problem. Sounds like he was just trying to be as honest as possible with the limited information that Koni could give him.

Now like others have said, you could have posted anywhere. However, you decided to **** on Sam here as he tried to promote his small business. No blacksmoke, he should not delete his post because a man should own up to what he said. Being a man and apologizing when you're wrong is a lot more respectable than slinking away. Just admit you were wrong and you might just find that you gain back a little respect.

Small businesses built this country, and while it's easy to believe that big chains with cheap prices keep this economy afloat (whatever that is anymore), it's the small guys with experience and expertise that remain to be the backbone of this country.

Sam, keep doing what you're doing. If you're still in business during these times, then you're obviously doing something right.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Benjamin T

hi sam (and anyone else who knows the answers)... what other parts do i need/recommend to buy in conjunction with these str.t's? my 2011 is street use only.

i tried doing a search here, but being a newbie i got lost/confused easily... gt500 front top mounts? roush springs? some sort of camber adjusters? the only thing i've committed to buying is a steeda watts link (on order)... any help appreciated.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 AM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
hi sam (and anyone else who knows the answers)... what other parts do i need/recommend to buy in conjunction with these str.t's? my 2011 is street use only.

i tried doing a search here, but being a newbie i got lost/confused easily... gt500 front top mounts? roush springs? some sort of camber adjusters? the only thing i've committed to buying is a steeda watts link (on order)... any help appreciated.
You don't NEED anything else with these. What springs you have will determine your camber adjustment needs. I would highly recommend going with the GT500 top mounts or adjustable top mounts.