Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Squeak when accelarating, bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
not for mine..everything is tight as can be and doesnt move 1 bit..no leaks anywhere either

another thing I can figure out it wont happen if I am stopped and rev the car..it only does it under load on hard accell.
Same thing here... No squeak when stopped, or cornering for me. Only when accelerating at a significant pace (quarter/half? throttle or more)
Old 08-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If it's only happening on acceleration that's at least moderately hard, the first thing that comes to mind is that the engine torquing over has something to do with it. That results in exhaust line movements unlike any other commonly encountered situation. I suspect that revving in neutral is not rocking the engine enough.

Either something is sliding that normally doesn't as the engine torques over, or something is rubbing only after it has done so.

I think it is possible to have the clamp itself tight, but not the joint. When 200 ft-lbs of torque (or some multiple of that) says the engine, tranny, and exhaust are all rolling over just a tad, exhaust pipe clamp friction isn't going to stop whatever is left after the motor mounts have taken their share.

Something else to consider is thaat these clamps don't give you nearly enough leverage to close up a pipe that's just a little too big, or dented slightly out of round right at the joint. And quality control on more than a few aftermarket exhaust system parts/systems is . . . iffy.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-01-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

ok it seems I fixed my problem..i ruled out my exhaust cause I checked it so many times..I just got some WD40 and sprayed all my poly bushings on my UMI lower control arms and panhard bar really good..nice saturation to make sure it creeped all in...i guess maybe there was a little bit of something in there making it chirp..i romped on it a few times tonight and now nothing but the sound of the exhaust.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:11 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

ok it seems I fixed my problem..i ruled out my exhaust cause I checked it so many times..I just got some WD40 and sprayed all my poly bushings on my UMI lower control arms and panhard bar really good..nice saturation to make sure it creeped all in...i guess maybe there was a little bit of something in there making it chirp..i romped on it a few times tonight and now nothing but the sound of the exhaust.
NICE! I think great minds think alike lol, because that is what I did this past weekend (since silicon was going to be my last resort) and it also seems to have died out completely. I think WD40 is not a good substance to use (someone told me it attracts dust/dirt over time) so I am going to get a thorough underbody wash this weekend, and do the same thing with my spray can of silicon. Maybe pop some of those bushings off and get the contact points directly...

Thanks for sharing man! Glad you got your squeak squared away.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:41 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

i guess maybe there was a little bit of something in there making it chirp..i romped on it a few times tonight and now nothing but the sound of the exhaust.
Poly will squeak, and I'm surprised that it wasn't doing so under other conditions.

When the noise shows up again (WD-40 is kind of a temporary fix, so I'm sure it will), try shooting only one bushing at a time until the noise stops (or starts to get quieter) so you'll know exactly which pivot or pivots it's coming from.

Norm
Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

if it comes back..I am going to pull them off and reapply the Mobile 1 grease to the face of them again.

I didnt use WD40 I used Jig A Loo but I dont know if anyone would know what it was if i said that
http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_products_jigaloo.php

Last edited by 05xrunner; 08-02-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 AM
dmorris576

Default I think I have the same problem.

http://youtu.be/FI9EQT885Ug This is a link to a video of my mustang noise... If you can verify your sound was the same I'd be forever grateful!
Old 10-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Bigkvic

I had the rear trailing arms making a noise while accelerating.The bushings were worn , so that is some worth checking.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Morereps

Default I have the same sound coming from my car ....

Originally Posted by dmorris576
http://youtu.be/FI9EQT885Ug This is a link to a video of my mustang noise... If you can verify your sound was the same I'd be forever grateful!
I have the same sound that's in your YouTube video... Did you find out what was causing it?