Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Toronto Motorsports Track Day Saga

Old 08-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default Toronto Motorsports Track Day Saga

This past Sunday I went to Toronto Motorsports Park for my fourth track day of the season. As my last day was June 13 the withdrawal symptoms were getting extreme.

The car was the same as the last time out except it had on a brand new set of 275/35/18 Nitto NT01s to replace the well worn 275/40/18 Nitto NT01s.

The forecast was for 30C/86F with a humidex rating even higher. so I got to the track early and put the track tires on while it was still reasonably cool. I had been hoping to try out my new Cool Shirt but the day before discovered my shirt was missing the connectors. After a call to the seller they arrived Monday via courier.

At the track things were pretty quiet and other than myself there was a GT 500 KR on his appearance tires, a fully race prepped BMW M3 on brand new Hoosier A6s, a Cadillac CTS V and a Volvo with a couple of kids learning how to drive on a track. The track owner also showed up a couple of times with his C63 AMG 6.3, once with four aboard. The one thing I could not complain about was being held up on track. Video will come later.

In the morning I was faster then the M3 as they had never been to the track before and the car had only just been finished. In the afternoon he was faster and so we went out to have some fun together. While chasing him my car began to get harder and harder when shifting into third and fourth gear and ended up being so hard I got blisters on my right hand.

By this time I was knackered and decided that as I was coming back for an event the following weekend to just leave the track tires on. I also figured I’d get the car into a local highly respected Mustang shop, DaSilva Racing, to get the clutch and transmission looked at. Due to pressures of work and a dentist appointment this would have to be Wednesday. Well on Tuesday on my way to the Dentist driving very conservatively there was a load bang and the clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed there. As I am still covered under the Ford Emergency Road Service plan and was about 10 minutes from a Ford dealer I called up for a tow. The first truck, a regular 1 ton took one look at my car and said it needed a flat bed. An hour later the flat bed showed up (memo to self - remember to make sure they send a flatbed the first time the next time I need a tow). It was not a good morning.

The Ford dealer was busy and so I went home to get some work done. They called and said that it needed a clutch and a Ford clutch would take at least a week to get and maybe longer. I was planning to put an upgraded clutch in anyway. After a call to Joe at DaSilva a CenterForce clutch was on its way to the Ford dealer. Many kudos to Joe for the great service and letting me have the clutch. This was the clutch I was planning to have installed when the stock one gave up.

Today the dealer confirmed everything is going fine and the pressure plate is back from machining and they have a new Ford throwout bearing and slave cylinder. The car is supposed to be ready at about 10:00 AM tomorrow. He also told me that the original clutch had broken up and there were pieces floating around in the bell housing.. I’ll get to see it tomorrow.

If everything goes well on Sunday I’m back at TMP for the Exotic Car Day at which there should be no end of things to chase if the last event was any example;

http://www.youtube.com/user/frederic.../6/GyjKbifGGP4

http://www.youtube.com/user/frederic.../5/TGfw46P-UqE

This is just another reminder that “the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys”.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 08-26-2011 at 03:00 AM. Reason: changed 275/45/18 to 275/40/18
Old 08-26-2011, 12:33 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to hear about the clutch giving out, but I guess that makes as good of an excuse as any to upgrade! Let us know how you like it. Did you also notice any difference with the lower profile tire?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:00 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

As I was running a brand new set of 35 series versus a nearly worn out set of 40 series there were other factors involved but the short answer is yes.

The lower profile tires were more responsive in the corners and turned in better and the over one inch smaller diameter improved the acceleration and lowered the center of gravity. This is seat of the pants feel as I haven't yet had a chance to go through the data.

Another thing was at the limit the old tires squealed but the new ones "rumbled".
Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Bummer on the clutch, but it sounds like you are getting things worked out and will back on track soon. It broke apart...wow, thats scary. No damage to other parts I hope.

I see point bys are hard to come by with some of those guys. Guess they don't like a mere "stang" blowing their doors off.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Bummer on the clutch, but it sounds like you are getting things worked out and will back on track soon. It broke apart...wow, thats scary. No damage to other parts I hope.

I see point bys are hard to come by with some of those guys. Guess they don't like a mere "stang" blowing their doors off.
Yea the Ferrari really didn't want me to pass him, as well as a few others.

I picked the car up this morning and it now has a brand new CenterForce clutch. It sure shifts a lot easier now.

On the old clutch the friction material was actually loose and one of the parts outside of the springs had fallen off. I figure 48KM/30KM and at least 25 track days is not too bad for the stock clutch with over 400 HP at the flywheel.

I now need to get some easy use on it before heading out Sunday to chase down Vipers
Old 09-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

And finally some video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYFs929LFKs