Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowered Mustang - have questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 04:03 PM
kenz
1st Gear Member

Unhappy Lowered Mustang - have questions

We have a 2011 V6 Mustang and we installed the following last weekend:

Steeda Sport Springs
Koni STR.T dampeners
Steeda HD upper mounts
Adj. Panhard bar

The ride seems really stiff. Most times it's okay but when going over seams in the road it feel and sounds like a train going over sections of rail, thump thump, thump thump.

We've double checked and everything is tight. There's no movement. It's just that when the tires hit a rut or a divot in the road you really feel it.

Maybe we're just old and/or too sensitive. But, it this normal with a lowered car? We're never had one before.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 09-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kenz
We have a 2011 V6 Mustang and we installed the following last weekend:

Steeda Sport Springs
Koni STR.T dampeners
Steeda HD upper mounts
Adj. Panhard bar

The ride seems really stiff. Most times it's okay but when going over seams in the road it feel and sounds like a train going over sections of rail, thump thump, thump thump.

We've double checked and everything is tight. There's no movement. It's just that when the tires hit a rut or a divot in the road you really feel it.

Maybe we're just old and/or too sensitive. But, it this normal with a lowered car? We're never had one before.

Thanks,
Ken
Sounds to me like maybe the swaybar links aren't tight. Pretty common. That noise is also one that comes around a lot with camber plates that use spherical bearings, which is why I tend to use the Steeda mounts for street cars which have urethane bushings instead.

The springs are a good big firmer than stock. So are the dampers. But I'd ask what your tire pressures are as a few pounds makes a big, big difference in ride quality (also I'm assuming they are stock size/tires).
Old 09-22-2011, 04:49 PM
kenz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Sounds to me like maybe the swaybar links aren't tight. Pretty common. That noise is also one that comes around a lot with camber plates that use spherical bearings, which is why I tend to use the Steeda mounts for street cars which have urethane bushings instead.

The springs are a good big firmer than stock. So are the dampers. But I'd ask what your tire pressures are as a few pounds makes a big, big difference in ride quality (also I'm assuming they are stock size/tires).
Sam,

We torqued the swaybar link bolts to 75ftlbs. Don't know if that's adequate.

We originally had the stock 225-60-17 tires on the car and the air pressure was 35lbs. On Tuesday we put on our new 255-45-18 tires and 18x9 wheels. The air pressure in those is 32lbs.

It doesn't feel like anything on the car is clunking. Just the opposite, it feels almost too solid.

Would changing to the GT500 upper mounts do anything? I have a set already that I pulled the isolators from for the Steeda mounts.

Or maybe we just need to get used to it. :-)

Thanks,
Ken
Old 10-02-2011, 12:42 PM
kenz
1st Gear Member

Went and replaced the Steeda upper strut mounts with the GT500 mounts. Wow, what a difference. Still rides nice and firm but doesn't jar the car when hitting a rut in the road.

Wife is much happier now. And you know what they say, Happy wife, happy life.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 10-02-2011, 06:22 PM
magnido45
2nd Gear Member

so the problem was with the Steeda upper strut mounts?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:31 PM
drew2000

I found that after around a thousand miles, the ride seems better. Guess the shocks and struts have to break in a bit and settle. Didn't you use the rubber isolator from the GT500 mounts on the Steeda HD ones?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:43 PM
kenz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drew2000
I found that after around a thousand miles, the ride seems better. Guess the shocks and struts have to break in a bit and settle. Didn't you use the rubber isolator from the GT500 mounts on the Steeda HD ones?
Yes, we used the rubber isolator from the GT500 mounts on the Steeda's.

We drove the car with the Steeda's for about 400 miles before changing the the GT500 mounts. My wife wouldn't ride in the car any longer.

After taking them off, I took them apart and noticed that all of the o-rings on the inside were torn to bits. Not sure if we installed them wrong or what happened. I suppose that could have cause the harshness.

We'll stick with the GT500 mounts for now and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Ken