Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Wanted: suspension suggestions for stock ride height 2010 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Default Wanted: suspension suggestions for stock ride height 2010 GT

I have a 2010 GT with stock suspension.

I'd like to lower it but due to my steep driveway I don't think I can install springs and not scrape everytime I park my car in the garage.

I'd be open to the thought of just installing rear springs and lowering it 3/4" in back if possible or sensible??

My main gripes are the bounciness and body roll coming from the rear of the car. I'm not looking to autocross my car or anything...I'd just like to improve the handling without hurting the ride quality too much as it's a daily driver and my transportation to work each day.

Does anyone have suggestions for improving the handling with the stock ride height? Konis? Sway Bars? They don't make stock ride height springs with improved rates or anything, right?

-Thanks in advance!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by STANGmole
I have a 2010 GT with stock suspension.

I'd like to lower it but due to my steep driveway I don't think I can install springs and not scrape everytime I park my car in the garage.

I'd be open to the thought of just installing rear springs and lowering it 3/4" in back if possible or sensible??

My main gripes are the bounciness and body roll coming from the rear of the car. I'm not looking to autocross my car or anything...I'd just like to improve the handling without hurting the ride quality too much as it's a daily driver and my transportation to work each day.

Does anyone have suggestions for improving the handling with the stock ride height? Konis? Sway Bars? They don't make stock ride height springs with improved rates or anything, right?

-Thanks in advance!
Shock/struts and bars would make a huge difference. They still do their jobs even if you don't change the springs. In another words, you don't need to change springs to improve the car, quite a lot in fact.

Bars will cut roll and improve balance, and my bars being adjustable at both ends will allow you to play with each bar to really get it where you like it. Dampers will lock the car down to the road better. It'll roll and pitch slower, take a set faster, and ride sharp bumps in general less harshly than stock dampers too. If you opt for adjustable dampers, you also have the ability to tweak the feel and response of each end of the car as well.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:02 AM
ryan1112

I have Sam's sway bars and Koni shocks. For a street driven mustang these are the two best things you can do. Since his sway bars are both adjustable you can easily find the balance you prefer.
If you can't afford to do them at the same time I recommend getting the shocks first. If I got a new mustang today, the first thing I would do is put Koni shocks on it. If you have the cash get the Koni sports so you can adjust them.
Just give Sam a call and he'll help you out.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:08 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys!

Are the urethane bushings noisy? That's my main concern with most of the swaybar kits.

Is it not a good idea to change the rear springs only (to even up the ride height)?

Lastly, given a budget of ~$750 would you say the Koni adjustables alone or the Koni STR.T plus front/rear bars would give the best bang for the buck?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I use pretty hard bushings which are quite slick on their own, and we include some really good grease with them. Noise isn't really any issue.

I'd not change rear springs only. Either do both, or do neither. Lowering the rear only changes the roll center height in back, but not up front. Rear rates go up, but not front. Other than the look not much to be gained on rears alone.

I'd definitely do bars + STR.T's over Sports alone.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:00 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Sam!! It sounds like I have my shopping list in order and Xmas might come early for me this year! ...I'll be giving you a call.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:33 AM
ryan1112

Given your budget and since you're never going to autocross it Sam is right. The str.t dampers and bars will be the best. I've never heard any noise at all from my bars from Sam. You will be shocked at what a difference this will make.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:01 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

The shocks/struts are on order!!! Any thoughts on replacing/reusing strut mounts?