Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

05-09 in STX?? Sam and Norm thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 AM
ryan1112

When I checked with the dealership the bolts were $147. You should install them yourself and save the cash unless you are really uncomfortable with it. I had to slot my bottom strut mount holes for the adjusters. It was easy with a cheap dremel and $8 carbide tip. Went through it like butter. With the crash bolts there isn't nearly as much slotting.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ryan1112
When I checked with the dealership the bolts were $147. You should install them yourself and save the cash unless you are really uncomfortable with it. I had to slot my bottom strut mount holes for the adjusters. It was easy with a cheap dremel and $8 carbide tip. Went through it like butter. With the crash bolts there isn't nearly as much slotting.
I have no issues doing it myself, just more of a "you are going to be doing the alignment, might as well do that too" kind of thing, but for 150$ I think I'll just wait and put the money towards other components.

I've decided to hold off on the torque arm for the time being. If I get the 265s hankooks and still have any severe traction issues in the rear, it may be worth looking into again but I don't think it should be necessary. I won't be putting down the power that vorshlag is so I don't think rear traction will be a huge issue, at least one that is outside the adjustment of the dampers and sway bars. I don't think the change in geometry necessarily outweighs the cost and weight addition for right now.

When I get off work I will update my list with the torque arm out and an adjustable uca and mount instead.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Ohh I suppose it's time to update this thread. I can't say these parts are installed yet, but I can say things are well on their way to getting there.

Three weeks ago I had 245/45/18 Dunlop Direzza Z1 Sport Star Specs installed on the factory 8.5" wide Bullitts. At the same time I had found two smoking deals on lightly used parts from my build. A set of Steeda Sport Springs with a whopping 4k miles on them and a lightly used set of Steeda HD mounts.

Naturally being impatient that I am, I put in an order with Sam for the Fays2 Watts Link (arrived today! ), and his front and rear sway bars with the competition endlinks. I also put in an order to Maximum Motorsports for the new fine thread spindle bolts as one of my bolts had the flag bent nearly off when installing the Tokico D-Specs. I also placed an order to Solo Performance for new numbers!

That makes the total list of STX mods:
-245/45/18 Dunlop Star Specs
-Tokico D-Specs
-Steeda Sport Springs
-Steeda HD mounts
-Fays2 Watts Linkage
-Strano 35mm front bar with competition endlinks
-Strano 25mm rear bar

Not "maxed" to the STX limits by any stretch but I hope it is enough to make it competitive locally and make me happier with the car. Of course none of it is installed yet, I'm still waiting on the swaybars before I get too excited about the install. I may just go ahead and do the install early next week on my days off since the next autocross event after this Sunday isn't until the end of April and I shouldn't need the sway bars in daily driving.

It should be an interesting year for autocross and I hope to get the car set up. Sam almost has me talked into going to Spring Nationals in Lincoln with this set up but I'm not good enough for the big time yet although I would find it very interesting to see how I compare to national drivers (not well :P). It is in my backyard so it's not like I'm driving far to attend and have the cost of hotels and lots of gas to get the car here to add to the list of expenses. Just the $108 to register and go. Still up for debate!