Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Strut tower braces...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:23 AM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

Question Strut tower braces...

Has anyone used the new Boss 302 STB on their 05-09 GT yet? If so, how do you like it? Is the difference noticeable or is this just a cosmetic upgrade?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmarsh3014
Has anyone used the new Boss 302 STB on their 05-09 GT yet? If so, how do you like it? Is the difference noticeable or is this just a cosmetic upgrade?
Before I respond this is going to open a huge can of worms based on peoples perception of handling before and after adding one. IMO, appearences and not much more. A couple of reasons, the primary one being that it is a two point brace which doesn't add much if anything to torsional regidity of the chassis. The assumption is that by connecting a moving strut tower to another strut tower some how increases rigidity is a bit off. If one moves the other will most likely move in the same direction. That is why a triangulated one will work better than a two point brace. However, there are many who believe it does something for NVH. Personally, I'm not sure I would notice the difference.

If someone wants to give me one, I will gladly abuse one on an autocross course then take it off and see if I notice a difference. I'm not holding my breath though. You would be better off spending that money on something else that actually has a performance increase.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Unless you have the suspension and the tires to pull
the needed G-forces to cause front end flex, then
a STB is just cosmetic in form. An A-Arm brace would
do more but be less visable. You want the go or the show?
Attached Thumbnails Strut tower braces...-braceno.jpg   Strut tower braces...-brace2small.jpg   Strut tower braces...-bracesmall.jpg   Strut tower braces...-bracesmall2.jpg   Strut tower braces...-bracesmall3.jpg  

Old 10-31-2011, 12:24 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

I have always read repeatedly that they don't make a difference.

That being said, with EVERY car I've added one to I've experienced a noticeable improvement that made the purchase worthwhile. Placebo effect? ...Maybe, but I've always been happy with the addition of a STB.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by STANGmole
I have always read repeatedly that they don't make a difference.

That being said, with EVERY car I've added one to I've experienced a noticeable improvement that made the purchase worthwhile. Placebo effect? ...Maybe, but I've always been happy with the addition of a STB.
Same here. Could be the placebo effect but I personally felt a difference afterwards. Maybe it was a reduction in NVH, maybe it made the car more rigid, but either way I could feel a somewhat of an improvement. And considering I only paid $50 for it, I'm happy. Looks good too, so a win-win.

Would I pay $100+ on one? Ehhh
Old 10-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 157dB
Unless you have the suspension and the tires to pull
the needed G-forces to cause front end flex, then
a STB is just cosmetic in form. An A-Arm brace would
do more but be less visable. You want the go or the show?
I beg to differ.

I have the FRPP Strut tower brace (all 08+ mustangs came with A-arm braces by the way) and i noticed a difference in hard cornering.

Specifically, the car's outer front fender doesn't dive as or push as hard when I hit a fast sharp turn (less understeer). In wide sweeping turns there is little to no difference as the physics of the car creates the expected oversteering (rear end kicks out) as would be expected in a RWD car.

I paid $130 for mine almost two years ago. I wouldn't have the car without it.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:40 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Well some 07s and some 08s dont have the brace.
Mine didnt and as long as I have been harping on
this, the more forum members that come out of the
woodwrok saying that they also dont have this OEM
brace.

If your fenders are flexing that much to need
a STB, your paint would be rubbed away from
the fender to hood gap...
The S197s are so stiff that OEM tires and suspension
does not warrant a $130 STB. And most are carp anyhow
in their construction. They feature SLOTTED attaching points.
The Shelby STB is the only one I have seen that attaches
with all 8 Strut Tower bolts and does not have slotted holes.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

The bar can only resist forces that are directly in line with the bar because of the flimsy attachment. And there simply are no forces transmitted to the top of the shock towers from the struts in line with the shock tower brace. If it was triangulated like mentioned early it could conceivable handle loads at angles other than compression but it isn't.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:02 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Ford did not put it on for looks. It does something that is measurable or Ford would not spend the time and money on it.

It costs Ford a HUGE amount of money just to carry the part number in their system. They would only do it for a result, especially since it is underhood and not really going to sell anyone on buying a Mustang because it has a STB.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
Ford did not put it on for looks. It does something that is measurable or Ford would not spend the time and money on it.

It costs Ford a HUGE amount of money just to carry the part number in their system. They would only do it for a result, especially since it is underhood and not really going to sell anyone on buying a Mustang because it has a STB.
I disagree - Ford, and all other auto companies, do all sorts of things to "improve" the looks and provide features that unknowing buyers think provide a benefit other than looks.

Quick Reply: Strut tower braces...