Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

What is the best way to improve handling on 2012 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Pakman

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Pakman-

I'm going to caution you a bit on relying too much on the answers you get to your questions, mostly because the questions are way to vague to answer with any reasonable certainty (at least for me, I'm sure lots of other shops will slap you on the back and tell that they've got exactly what you need).

The issue here is simple. What do you want the car to do different? That's the question I'd need answered, and "handle better" is a generic answer like "go faster" and it's not much to go on. Sure we all want a car to handle better, but that's like feeling a little off and going to the doctor and saying you want to feel better. Ok, but what's wrong with you? See what I mean?
Sam,

I appreciate your candidness . I apologize for my ignorance I am new to the forum . I am looking for less body row in turns and a tighter ride . I use to own Honda S2000 and Porsche boxster S and loved the handling but at times it was too rough.

Thanks,
Old 11-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Pakman-

Now we are getting somewhere! I assume the Honda was more rough than the Boxster S, correct? What we don't want to do is play around with lowering springs (at least not very aggressive ones) if ride quality is an issue. Stock dampers are pretty poor at controlling the mass of the car (the soft, ponderous feel). Also they are bad at impact harshness. The Honda typically would be worse at that vs. the Porsche (wouldn't you agree?).

It's pretty clear to me what we want are better dampers to make the car more tied down , and to slow the roll and pitch rates, and deal with bumps better. And then because the ride is an issue we want to avoid stiffer shorter springs, so we need to rely more on the bar sizes to constrain the body roll.

I have a plan in mind, but again it'd be best to talk, person to person about it. That way I can ask questions, you can ask questions and we can make sure we are both on the same page.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:56 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

When it comes to adjustable sway bars what do the different settings do the handeling? I've only owned fixed sway bars so if I bought adjustable bars I wouldn't know what setting to use. The car is my daily driver but I do auto cross the car on weekends
Old 11-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

The different positions allow you to fine tune how stiff the bar(s) are. I make adjustables for both ends, and they are each 3 way adjustable giving you a lot of options for balance and response. Bars are springs, so it's like being able to tweak your spring rate easily a little bit at each end.

I'm no math wiz, but with 3 settings available at each end you have a number of combinations you could run. What's right? Whatever works the best for you with your setup, on your car, how you drive it. That's kind of the point of being able to adjust 'em.

Want the car to rotate more? Soften the front, or stiffen the rear... or both. Want the car to be as flat as you can get it? Stiffen both all the way (though that's not a great reason to do it IMHO). Running on slicker surface? That tends to promote more oversteer, so you might want soften the rear bar, or stiffen the front... or maybe both. etc, etc, etc.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:25 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

I looked at a picture of the adjustable sway bars and which settings or holes in the bars do what? Thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Ok, I'll try again a different way. The longer the lever arm of the bar, that's the arm that attaches the bar to the axle (in the rear) or the strut (in the front), the softer the bar. The shorter the arm, the stiffer the bar. Adjustable bars like mine, are like getting 3 different stiffness bars for the price of one.

Does that make more sense?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:23 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Yes it does. Thanks. Now when I upgrade this spring I won't be afraid to buy adjustable bars. I just wasn't sure how they worked but now I have a much better understanding.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Pakman

Smile

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Pakman-

Now we are getting somewhere! I assume the Honda was more rough than the Boxster S, correct? What we don't want to do is play around with lowering springs (at least not very aggressive ones) if ride quality is an issue. Stock dampers are pretty poor at controlling the mass of the car (the soft, ponderous feel). Also they are bad at impact harshness. The Honda typically would be worse at that vs. the Porsche (wouldn't you agree?).

It's pretty clear to me what we want are better dampers to make the car more tied down , and to slow the roll and pitch rates, and deal with bumps better. And then because the ride is an issue we want to avoid stiffer shorter springs, so we need to rely more on the bar sizes to constrain the body roll.

I have a plan in mind, but again it'd be best to talk, person to person about it.
That way I can ask questions, you can ask questions and we can make sure we are both on the same page.
Yes,
The Honda was a rougher ride then the Porsche.maybe I am getting old although I love the handling it can be a beat down on a long drive. What dampers do you suggest? And what about sway bars? And do you sell them? If you don't mine I can call you as well.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

How's that for a vendor who knows what's going on??? Don't find that just anywhere!

Calling would be best, that way we don't have to go back and forth 100 times and we'll probably understand each other better since it'd be harder to lose anything in translation.

I sell a number of different dampers and bars. All kinds of options, though I have a plan already in mind based on what we've been able to go over here.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:59 AM
JiminVirginia

Pakman, call Sam. He'll actually save you money in the long run.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to improve handling on 2012 GT