Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tires too wide? Wheels too narrow?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Question Tires too wide? Wheels too narrow?

Hello Gents,

I'm currently rocking 275s in the rear with Boss 339 (8.5x20)

Been looking at getting some new wheels recently...personally, I'd like to refinish/repaint mine completely. But I've been told that it could be potentially bad for the tire for me to wear 275/35/20s on my Boss 339 Wheels. These 20x8.5.

Long story short, my concern is the width, is it safe for a 275-wide Tire to wrap around 8.5 Inch wheels? Or will I need a wider wheel? Some places tell me that this could cause some serious/express tire wear.

On a side note, I don't track my car, no excessive mods, just a daily driver/girlfriend.

I've been riding with it for the last year or so, not having any problems, ride doesn't seem uncomfortable (20s naturally provide a harsh ride).

Hopefully you guys can provide some amazing input as usual.

-
T
Old 11-19-2011, 10:02 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I have 275/40-18s on a OEM 18x8.5" rim.
I had 255/45-18s BFG KDWs and they wore straight accross until the end.
I an not noticing any uneven wear with the BFG 275/40s.
But the shorter sidewall of a 35 series tire might not like
being squeezed onto a 8.5" wide rim.
The particular tire manufacturers have suggested rim widths
for their different tire sizes.
Maybe start there?
Those that have told you no want to sell you something you dont need.
DD and occasional GF wont cause any uneven wear on those meats...
Find a tire brand and google the specs...
Do some detective work and believe about half of what you hear
when it come down to you parting with your cash...

Last edited by 157dB; 11-19-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:02 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

I run sticky 275s on my 18x9s for daily driving and autocross. They've been wearing very evenly (frequent rotations) and they barely bulge on the rim. I don't see 18x8.5s being an issue.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Did some research on my part and went the Hankook's site -> Here <-
Scrolled through the list and found my 275/30/20 and the rim width range is advising a 9" - 10" Rim.
Still on the fence wondering if 8.5" is pushing it.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:02 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Nope, unless you are pushing the performance envelope.
DD and GF hauler do not warrant the worry.
HanKooks rarely wear even anyhow.
Get a look at the country of origin on the sidewall...
Old 11-19-2011, 05:07 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I honestly wouldn't go more then 255 on those wheels, but 275s are probably fine.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

One of the local F-Stock guys runs 285 Hoosier A6's on 8.5 wide rims for autocross work. I doubt he gives a hoot about the sidewall considering how little they are going to get used (not daily driving on A6's :P) and how short of life the A6 has already.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whiskey11
One of the local F-Stock guys runs 285 Hoosier A6's on 8.5 wide rims for autocross work. I doubt he gives a hoot about the sidewall considering how little they are going to get used (not daily driving on A6's :P) and how short of life the A6 has already.
He also doesn't have to worry about heat generation and sustained driving with a passenger or trunk load, which is a little different from driving 50 seconds at a time before letting the tires cool off.

He is also limited by class rules that do not permit him to run wheels of the proper width for that size tires, even though they do allow him to use that tire size. Competition rules can be more than a little odd and seemingly out of step with each other at times, and are often at odds with proper street setups.

Even on the street, it's not really a "pass/fail" situation with tires and wheels that are half an inch below the recommended width range. But you do sacrifice some of the margin that is built into the tire.

There are handling "feel" consequences, which may or may not matter to any given individual. Tires mounted on relatively narrow rims do not respond quite as quickly to steering inputs, which comes through as feeling slightly "numb" or "soft", or a little like the tires are underinflated even when the pressure is correct.

On narrow rims, tires tend to ride a little softer, but that's a poor excuse for buying performance-oriented tires and then dumbing them down with rims that really aren't wide enough to provide that performance.

I'd be looking at a minimum of 9.5" wide wheels for 275/35's or 275/40's in any diameter.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-20-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
On narrow rims, tires tend to ride a little softer, but that's a poor excuse for buying performance-oriented tires and then dumbing them down with rims that really aren't wide enough to provide that performance.

I'd be looking at a minimum of 9.5" wide wheels for 275/35's or 275/40's in any diameter.

Norm
This is exactly what I was told, (the reason I started this thread) got me a bit worried as well. Didn't really want to give up my current rims and go and drop more cash on other ones.

Ahh I don't know what to do!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Maybe keep your current wheels and get a narrower tire that's better suited to cooler weather and up to a little light snow. Put the 275's on 9"/9.5"/10" wide wheels that are as close to your current wheels styling-wise as you can find for the warmer months. Then forget about tires and wheels for several years except for occasionally swapping them as the seasons dictate.

Norm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires too wide? Wheels too narrow?