Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Changing a GT to a Boss?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:15 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Loving this thread.

I have an 08 and the one Boss feature that I'm most envious of is its engine. That said, suspension upgrades are currently my priority. I believe I would gain a new appreciation of my stock engine with better suspension.

I checked out the Laguna Seca at my local dealership and they were asking 75K...Is that buyer out there? Maybe, but I beleive that virtually anyone willing to spend 75K on a car will want the badge prestige commonly associated with that price range. In other words they'll want a sports car that lets people know they have a 75K car regardless of how much they may claim otherwise. Nothing wrong with that, just sayin'...
Old 01-14-2012, 01:24 PM
BLACK BETTY12
1st Gear Member

PM me if you want some BOSS parts, I has some I am going to list when I get enough post.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:11 PM
mfournier

A Leguna Seca is a limited version of the Boss302 and that is why it is 75K
what do you get for that:

The 2012 Mustang Boss® 302 with Laguna Seca Package* adds elements like race-compound tires, an aggressive front air splitter (you get that in the standard boss302 also just not installed) and rear pedestal spoiler, standard Torsen differential (you can order your boss with that also) and Recaro® seats, additional track gauges, and even deletes the rear seat and adds a rear cross-brace to save weight and add torsional rigidity. reality is this car is not meant to be a daily driver it is a limited Track edition of the Boss302 If you look at it that way then it is actually Cheap when you consider the turn key Ford racing FR500 starts around 120K

My dealer has 2 Boss302s in stock and listed at: $43,575
http://saratford.com/Agawam-MA/For-S...e-Car/7015050/

Also What do you expect a car with that kind of performance and limited production to cost?. A BMW M3 coupe starts with a MSRP of 60K and it is that is not the BMW M3 Competition Edition coupe And 75K is still a long way from any of the true all out sports cars like a Porsche, ferrari or even a Audi R8 or lexus LF so I am not sure what 75K car you would get over the Boss302 that would have a NAME that stands for performance and Performance that best the Boss302

I really don't care what people who know **** about cars think and those who know cars will know exactly what your driving if you have a Boss302 and it is not like ford made it a sleeper with that paint job and the exhaust note it is obvious it is no standard Mustang. All the test by car and driver and Motor trend compare the Boss302 to cars that cost almost 2x that 75K have you priced a Porsche 911GT3? on a track that is the kind of car it takes to best the Boss302 that thing is just a great drivers car and I think it is a great car for the money. Could it be better Yes but then guys like you would complain even more about the price because to really put it into top performance status would mean a IRS Ceramic breaks carbon fiber body panels to lighten the curb weight coil over suspension and more HP pushing it over 500hp without a super charger. But heck that will never happen as people like you would say NO one would buy a Mustang that cost over 100K. But really SOME People would not more then maybe 2000/year but enough just how many Porsche 911gts do you thing get sold a year?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:42 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Mforunier,

I dig your sermon but you're preaching to the choir brother!

I fully appreciate the Boss and the Laguna Seca for exactly what they are...A lot of car for the money. Plus the more I drive my Mustang the LESS I want other cars...This coming from a former 911 owner.

My point has nothing to do with the the Boss or the Boss Laguna Seca but everything to do with the dealership speculation involved in pricing the car at a price point whose potential customer, I believe, is looking for that "cache" that comes from a fancy badge.

In other words the potential customer's 'perception' of what a car that costs 75K, M3 territory, should mean to them. I believe that at 75K they are going to go the extra distance. Or not and just opt for a 335 because it's a BMW and 'everyone' knows they're the Ultimate Driving Machine. (Not knocking BMW...they're great cars.)

As I recall the MSRP for the Laguna Seca package for the 2011 Boss was an additional $6995 on top of the Boss MSRP which around 43K. Now I know that dealerships will try to up the price of virtually any special edition Mustang to see what the market will bare. Fair enough.

However, unless I'm mistaken the 75K price I saw would be the dealer speculating that they can fetch an additional 25K over MSRP. Maybe they'll sell it at that price but I still maintain that guys looking to spend that much want that Euro pizzazz...

No doubt many Euro sports cars are great vehicles however I'm NOT one of those guys who props up Euro badges simply because everyone else thinks they're so hot.

The last time I was at Homestead (2009) I got a kick out of watching a couple of Pontiacs beat the wheels off of every 911 on the track.

Lastly, here's what I had to say on the Car & Driver Forums when folks said they'd rather have even a used Porsche over a BOSS...

"An awesome car at a great price. Used to own a 911 (new '97 993)...also an awesome car. To those who believe that their money is better spent on a used 911 over a new Boss, I enthusiastically encourage you to put your money where your mouth is."

Peace!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

"Put your money where your mouth is." Couldn't possibly agree more! If you think $75k is too much for a Boss LS, don't buy it. Capitalism rules, mes amis.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:37 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Ansibe,
Yep! At 75K I'd take an LS over a 911. Then again I'm already a convert...
Old 01-16-2012, 06:55 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

There are plenty of people who have gotten an LS Boss for much less than 75k, the sticker tag on them is 51k. The LS package is only a 7k dollar option......it's on the Ford Website.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
There are plenty of people who have gotten an LS Boss for much less than 75k, the sticker tag on them is 51k. The LS package is only a 7k dollar option......it's on the Ford Website.
Yeah I saw that on the ford website before they changed it up for the new model year. Again I figured the 75K price to be dealer speculation on how mush they can get. I'm taking my Bullitt in for scheduled maintenance this week so it will be interesting to see if it's still there and if so whether it's still 75K.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:47 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ccwebb
Yeah I saw that on the ford website before they changed it up for the new model year. Again I figured the 75K price to be dealer speculation on how mush they can get. I'm taking my Bullitt in for scheduled maintenance this week so it will be interesting to see if it's still there and if so whether it's still 75K.
I think the high price is really being in the exclusive club of owning one, they only made 750 LS's to 3000 regular Bosses. IMO no one in their right mind would pay 75k for an LS with the new Shelby coming out.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
IMO no one in their right mind would pay 75k for an LS with the new Shelby coming out.
Price point aside, an LS buyer is not the same guy as a Shelby buyer at all, so it's a case of horses for courses.

Even though the Shelby can hold its own through the twisties, it's still mostly about brute power and straight lines (and I did note your sig, which explains your preference).

The LS is about handling balance and carries the Trans-Am legacy, and the reality probably is that fewer people are likely to prefer the LS over the Shelby. That's OK.

Back in the day, the same comparison would have been between the GT350 and the GT500.

Neither one is better than the other in every respect.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-17-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Changing a GT to a Boss?