Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Help with sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 03:55 PM
FIVEOGT

Default Help with sway bars

I had a 2010 GT before the 2012 and thought the 2010 handled noticeably better. I drive spirited but not hard. Car stays on the streets, no tracks. I put the FRPP 1" lowering springs and dampers on but am still on stock sway bars. Will I notice a difference with bigger sway bars? Would you go with Ford or other bars? Thanks for your help.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:48 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

You will notice improved handling with a sway bar. Regardless of track use or street use you will notice added benefits.

Steeda Front Swaybars withstand the rigors of high performance racing while providing the performance and handling benefits you want without degrading ride quality for street use.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-a...d-mustang.html

If you want to go with both front and rear swaybars for ultimate performance, then that is an option too.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-a...d-mustang.html

You will only see benefits and no real drawbacks for going with a sway bar.

Hope this helps

Thanks

TJ
Old 12-24-2011, 02:28 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

You might talk to Sam. I think he goes with a SMALLER sway bar on the back (the 2012 uses a larger sway bar than the 2010s did) for better handling.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I'm happy to help. I carry lots of choices on bars, beyond my own I also have Steeda, Eibach, Progress, Hellwig, Hotchkis, and H&R. I don't think you'll find any one person or company that carries more variety....

That said, I do take the effort and cost to make my own set, because I wanted some specific sizes and options to work in various situations.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 AM
donutsdemise
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by STANGmole
You might talk to Sam. I think he goes with a SMALLER sway bar on the back (the 2012 uses a larger sway bar than the 2010s did) for better handling.
IIRC, the general guideline for sways is smaller in rear increases understeer.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

While true in the most basic sense, that doesn't always mean bigger is better. In fact one of the first changes I made to my 2011 when I could legally do it (in the classes I was competing in) was to go back to a 22m adjustable rear bar from the stock 24 solid, non-adjustable. I already had a bigger front and different springs. I think the 24mm rear bar is no bad on a standard car, it's a bit too much rear on a Brembo car (with the springs they use) and all the other stock components.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:08 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

I wish I could go back in time and have someone with racing experience fit out my suspension and actually drive the car hard and keep adjusting for a few days until it was right, when I first fit out my car.

I think there is no question in order to not have to re-buy parts after an initial "best guess" beginning fit out, is to initially go with tried and true 1" drop linear rate performance springs like Steeda's or Ford's, and going with the Koni adjustable sports dampers gives you all the performance quality and adjustability you'd ever need.

Having just the right adjustable sway bars put on and adjusted as the car is tested for hard cornering and cornering and accelerating out of corners is invaluable by an experienced driver.

I would also suggest lowering the engines center of gravity 1/2" with high performance engine mounts, in combination with lighter wheels and wider better rubber.

If I had to do it over again, for handling, all the above is what I would insist on, Erik