Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

SCCA Autocross Prep for FS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:29 AM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ken o
New to Mustangs, about 11 years in AX and track in different cars.
I am look for some answers before I pull the trigger on a 2013 5.0 track pack.
Any concerns SCCA will move it because of the Torsen and power?
Which wheels match the OEM sizing +/- 5mm?
Front bars?
I will probably go AST or Moton for shocks.

Just curious but did Ford plan for this thing to go 4x4? It sits so high.
It is highly doubtful that the car will get moved out of F Stock due to the Torsen since that is a factory option and not a dealer added option.

I don't know about the 19 x 9 wheels. Call Sam Strano on that one.

Front bar - I use the Strano 3-way adjustable 35mm front bar and love it.

If you're thinking AST/Moton, also check out Motion Control Suspension. They are new, but it consists predominantly of the Moton guys before the AST buyout. MCS = old Moton; AST = new Moton.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
It is highly doubtful that the car will get moved out of F Stock due to the Torsen since that is a factory option and not a dealer added option.

I don't know about the 19 x 9 wheels. Call Sam Strano on that one.

Front bar - I use the Strano 3-way adjustable 35mm front bar and love it.

If you're thinking AST/Moton, also check out Motion Control Suspension. They are new, but it consists predominantly of the Moton guys before the AST buyout. MCS = old Moton; AST = new Moton.
Remember you can do front or rear swaybar now in F-stock and RTRF. I agree though, I don't forsee them running the 2013 out of F stock/RTRF because of the Torsen. It already comes from the factory with a LSD, now it can be optioned to not have one that is clutch based. If anything it will make it the new car to have. Especially with those Recaros.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:31 PM
donutsdemise
1st Gear Member

Ran my first autox since 2007 in my still new to me 600 miles GT. Made classic mistake of going fast where I needed to go slow (plowing through a down hill off camber 180)

Results below with a name you all recognize at the top. Just placed my Koni shock order with him. Need to win a small lottery so I can get rid of the 19 inch cast aluminum boat anchors and Pirellis. Going to stay in FS road tire class this year.

http://wdcr-scca.org/SoloAutocross/E...2/Default.aspx
Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM
lost won

Originally Posted by donutsdemise
Ran my first autox since 2007 in my still new to me 600 miles GT. Made classic mistake of going fast where I needed to go slow (plowing through a down hill off camber 180)

Results below with a name you all recognize at the top. Just placed my Koni shock order with him. Need to win a small lottery so I can get rid of the 19 inch cast aluminum boat anchors and Pirellis. Going to stay in FS road tire class this year.

http://wdcr-scca.org/SoloAutocross/E...2/Default.aspx
Hello from the Left Coast !

Made exactly the same mistake my last event. Pushing too hard on my last run. Cost me a win. I've been looking for a lighter weight replacement for the stock 19's, also. Haven't found an exact replacement at any price. Tough to find the right offset. Still looking. Let us know if you find anything..
Running Hoosiers, but between the camber challenged front end, and the tire eating surface at Quallcomm stadium here, the Hoosiers aren't going to last long. I'll need to win a LARGE lotto soon. Let us know how the Konis work out. They are tempting at the new lower price. I'm just going to save for the next set of Hohos..

Best Regards, John #7 FS San Diego
Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 AM
donutsdemise
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lost won
Hello from the Left Coast !

Made exactly the same mistake my last event. Pushing too hard on my last run. Cost me a win. I've been looking for a lighter weight replacement for the stock 19's, also. Haven't found an exact replacement at any price. Tough to find the right offset. Still looking. Let us know if you find anything..
Running Hoosiers, but between the camber challenged front end, and the tire eating surface at Quallcomm stadium here, the Hoosiers aren't going to last long. I'll need to win a LARGE lotto soon. Let us know how the Konis work out. They are tempting at the new lower price. I'm just going to save for the next set of Hohos..

Best Regards, John #7 FS San Diego
I am going to 18"s so no idea re. 19"s, sorry. Sam said that direct-fit Koni's for our 2011-on S197 will be available soon so I am going to wait for them.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:24 PM
mustang302sg

Question

There's one thing that puzzles me about the SCCA class.

The 2011+ Mustangs are in FS class and it has a PAX index of 0.825.
But the STX class has a PAX index of 0.822!

So, if we start doing some "upgrades" to our cars, we can move from FS to STX and still have a more favorable PAX index???

Please someone correct me if I am wrong or else.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang302sg
There's one thing that puzzles me about the SCCA class.

The 2011+ Mustangs are in FS class and it has a PAX index of 0.825.
But the STX class has a PAX index of 0.822!

So, if we start doing some "upgrades" to our cars, we can move from FS to STX and still have a more favorable PAX index???

Please someone correct me if I am wrong or else.
I promise you a FS Mustang GT on 295 Hoosier A6's will more than make up for .003 in PAX over a modded Mustang on 265 Dunlops/Hankooks/Bridgestones/Yokohamas.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

I promise you a FS Mustang GT on 295 Hoosier A6's will more than make up for .003 in PAX over a modded Mustang on 265 Dunlops/Hankooks/Bridgestones/Yokohamas.
This. A 2011+ GT in stock HP is probably a bit much for 265 tires on a 9" rim. Keep this in mind: A Shelby GT is F stock legal despite having the FRPP handling pack and can run on the A6 in stock trim. Those upgrades are basically pseudo STX upgrades but you don't get the slicks in STX. So in order to have the car make sense in STX trim you have to be able to beat an SGT raw time for raw time on less tire and less grippy tires too.

To give you an idea how difficult that is, our local F stock SGT placed 7th at nationals last year, was 3 seconds faster raw times than me at the last event. Atleast 2 of those seconds are car prep (I am on 245/45/18s and not 265/35/18s) and chosing the wrong line. Who knows about the remaining second.

So at least PAX wise it is very difficult. Against other competition its more of the same really. Two full seconds behind the class winner at the last event who placed at the bottoms of the STX field at nationals last year.

I'm also not that good of a driver FWIW.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:44 AM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whiskey11

I'm also not that good of a driver, yet. FWIW.
We're going to get you there.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

We're going to get you there.
That is the hope. I am only in my second season of autocross so still very virgin yet. About 10 events done or so, so not a whole lot and only one event in my current trim!

Quick Reply: SCCA Autocross Prep for FS?