Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Sexy Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 PM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Default Sexy Rotors

Like many of you, that sexy "Drilled and Slotted" rotor look with the painted calipers is a look I want. But $200 for 4 NEW DRILLED & SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS (FRONT & REAR) and 2 SETS OF POWERSTOP Z16 CERAMIC BRAKE PADS (FRONT & REAR) on eBay??????? Now keep in mind, when it comes to brakes, I am a Newbie. Guilty as charged. But that look would be a nice mod with the wheels that I have. Can someone educate me here? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

That would be a big fat no, Houston. Buy your rotors from a reputable place, they are much too important to cheap out on. I got a set from sdmustangaccessories on the recommendations of some friends, and so far they have been great. Can't say much on longevity, because I've only had them for a month, but they look and stop way better then stock. Think they were about 300 bucks for all 4 together, plus shipping. Other then that, well, there is the DBA rotors which are around 700 bucks total.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

99 times out of 100 you get what you pay for...
Old 01-22-2012, 08:17 PM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

That's what I thought. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 PM
amustangrocks
2nd Gear Member

i bought 2 sets off ebay from brake motive for our dd`s that were about $200 a set. drilled/slotted and zink plated powerstop rotors and evolution ceramic pads. put the first set on the 06 V6 a year and a half ago as it had a slightl;y warped oem rear rotor, and they have been great. i put the gt set on my 05 V6-8 months ago and they have been great too. my buddy also got them for his dodge truck and has been happy too. they have great customer service, and the parts have a one yr warranty. they look great without the rust an i`ll buy them again.

i have to agree if you are track racing or something extreme, or you live on top of the mountains ect. i would want the best i could get for sure.
Attached Thumbnails Sexy Rotors-dscf0374.jpg   Sexy Rotors-dscf0421-640x480-.jpg   Sexy Rotors-dscf0427.jpg  

Last edited by amustangrocks; 01-22-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:33 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Don't get drilled, just get slotted, unless you are NOT hard on the brakes. If you like to brake hard just get the slotted ones, otherwise get the drilled+slotted if you want something for looks.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

I disagree. I have used the Ebay Brake Motive cross drilled slotted Kinetic rotors on 3 of my cars including just installed on my 07 GT. If i recall the Brake Motive rotors are made by Power Stop. I dont race but have never had any problems with any of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-FRONT-2-RE...ht_4258wt_1185
Old 01-23-2012, 12:31 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawrencecar1
I disagree. I have used the Ebay Brake Motive cross drilled slotted Kinetic rotors on 3 of my cars including just installed on my 07 GT. If i recall the Brake Motive rotors are made by Power Stop. I dont race but have never had any problems with any of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-FRONT-2-RE...ht_4258wt_1185
Like you said, you don't put excessive wear on the brakes (track use). Don't get drilled for track use, period.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

As long as you accept that the only reason to get drilled and slotted rotors is purely for show and not stop then just make sure you buy good ones.

Also remember that drilled rotors will crack if you use them hard. How long that will take depends on how hard you use them.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:46 PM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
As long as you accept that the only reason to get drilled and slotted rotors is purely for show and not stop then just make sure you buy good ones.

Also remember that drilled rotors will crack if you use them hard. How long that will take depends on how hard you use them.
WOW! really wow.

So, I guess Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Audi, Chevrolet (ZR1), Nissan GTR, etc., all come factory equipped with "Drilled only" rotors for looks only? They tested other rotor styles that had better stopping power but "ALL" opted to choose looks over performance? Really?

One of the only cars that I can recall not having factory drilled rotors is a Viper (slotted) and I am not even sure that was for all models and model years. There may be others in the high performance class but non drilled is the exception.

They DO increase stopping power but I am not going to post all kinds of scientific specifics to prove anything...........the fact that nearly all high performance manufacturers use this type of rotor exclusively would/should be enough for most people who like logic versus 5th hand passed around and regurgitated misinformation with no fact behind it.

To say they are for looks only is just not factual that's all.
They may not be the absolute "best" rotor type because different types of racing or driving may favour a slotted only, drilled/slotted or just solid vented rotor but looks is only part of it.

I myself exclusively use drilled only rotors with my Brembo's but I don't buy the cheap crappy ones with the non chamfered holes that are more prone to hairline cracks.
As the rotor wears down to replacement level it is only natural to see some evidence of hairline cracks but not all drilled rotors will even show distress at the end of their life....it all depends on the quality as well as the level of abuse they faced.
I always source the higher end rotors (cost a few $$ more) and have never had any cracking issues myself but I do know of one case of an acquaintance but he got a cheap non chamfered set off ebay so go figure.

OP: Go with what you like but with the best performance possible. If you are buying from ebay ensure you are getting a quality rotor and if they have any drilled holes check to see if they are at least chamfered.

BTW, here are a few pics of some exotic cars that I guess are "posing".
Attached Thumbnails Sexy Rotors-ferrari-dino-ferrari-6166.jpg   Sexy Rotors-audi-r8.jpg   Sexy Rotors-ford-gt.jpg   Sexy Rotors-nissan-gtr.jpg   Sexy Rotors-porsche-911-gt3.jpg  

Last edited by DTK; 01-26-2012 at 04:25 PM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply: Sexy Rotors