Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Do new shocks/sturts/springs have a break-in period?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Let's see if I can help any here.

All Brembo cars sit high. They all use a higher rate rear spring than front (which is backwards). The suspension frequency of the stock springs is whacked out which causes a lot of the hobby-horse thing. Also I don't particularly get a sense of trust from the rear of the car either. Boss springs are more of the same, just stiffer.

Depending on what you are going for, there are a few ways of getting things in order... Even running a stock GT rear springs instead to better match the fronts. This is if you want the softest ride and the better frequencies. I'm not saying it's ideal, but team stock springs up with some killer shocks and you'd be surprised.

FWIW, to the OP.... My guess is that you really didn't want "stiffer springs" in a general sense, so much as better control (shocks/struts) and maybe a better front to rear match (stiffer front, or softer rear). The Boss springs didn't do that for you.

Now, most prefer the look of a little lower car, which stock Ford springs won't give you. If you pick a good proper set of springs, you'll get the stiffer front rate, that becomes more in line with the rear (some rears are not much stiffer at all than the Brembo rears, and less stiff than the Boss rear).
Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 PM
locotone07

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
FWIW, to the OP.... My guess is that you really didn't want "stiffer springs" in a general sense, so much as better control (shocks/struts) and maybe a better front to rear match (stiffer front, or softer rear). The Boss springs didn't do that for you.
Sam, is there a better matched spring set up that won't lower my ride height? I was actually fine with the stock height (not sure how my vert sits vs a Brembo suspension) but I thought it looked fine. If not what would lower it the least or should I just got back to my stock springs?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

How about you put your stock rear springs back in with the Boss fronts? This is always the catch, and why I want to talk to folks before they do stuff like this. I'm pretty sure had this been discussed, I'd have not sold you springs at all. Hard to know for sure, this is based on what I see and what I know, and what it seems you wanted.

And Koni's are great, but folks often screw things up if they don't understand how they work and what happens with changes. In the end you do what you like best, but some guidance helps get you there, and I work with my customers to make sure they get it. That's just a reminder for those looking and saying "but e-bay is $5 less".
Old 02-07-2012, 05:37 PM
locotone07

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
How about you put your stock rear springs back in with the Boss fronts? This is always the catch, and why I want to talk to folks before they do stuff like this. I'm pretty sure had this been discussed, I'd have not sold you springs at all. Hard to know for sure, this is based on what I see and what I know, and what it seems you wanted.

And Koni's are great, but folks often screw things up if they don't understand how they work and what happens with changes. In the end you do what you like best, but some guidance helps get you there, and I work with my customers to make sure they get it. That's just a reminder for those looking and saying "but e-bay is $5 less".
Sam, as always you are da man! Thanks for the advice...any idea what the spring rates are for my stock rear springs (non-Brembo vert GT)?