Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Do new shocks/sturts/springs have a break-in period?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 AM
locotone07

Default Do new shocks/sturts/springs have a break-in period?

Just swapped the stock suspension in my 2012 GT (non-Brembo) convertible for a set of BOSS springs (wanted minimal lowering but a little stiffer springs), a set of Koni sports and a set of adjustable UMI poly LCA's. The Konis all set at the softest setting but boy the ride feels a lot stiffer than I expected. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by locotone07; 02-06-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:05 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

i can only imagine the boss spring rates are pretty track set .. the brembo spring rates ride harsh enough. you might have picked the wrong spring for your wants. the steeda sports are a pretty mild drop (around an inch) and ride pretty comfortably from what I've heard.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:32 AM
locotone07

Originally Posted by Entaille
i can only imagine the boss spring rates are pretty track set .. the brembo spring rates ride harsh enough. you might have picked the wrong spring for your wants. the steeda sports are a pretty mild drop (around an inch) and ride pretty comfortably from what I've heard.
I based my purchase on these spring rates:
http://brembo50.com/Default.aspx?pageId=1130035
and
http://www.steeda.com/forums/index.php?topic=2725.0
according to that info the rear spring on the Boss are 1 pound more while the front springs of the Steeda's are 77 pounds more....unless the numbers aren't correct...
Old 02-06-2012, 08:35 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by locotone07
Just swapped the stock suspension in my 2012 GT (non-Brembo) convertible for a set of BOSS springs (wanted minimal lowering but a little stiffer springs), a set of Koni sports and a set of adjustable UMI poly LCA's. The Konis all set at the softest setting but boy the ride feels a lot stiffer than I expected. Any thoughts or suggestions?
How often are you planning on taking your car to the track? That is a nice setup for auto-cross...

I will probably never auto-cross my car, so I went with Koni STR.Ts with my factory springs and the ride is about as firm as I would ever want for a DD.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

When I went from the Roush Stage 2 suspension to the Roush trak pak coilover kit my ride felt more harsh on the softest rebound setting. But its what I wanted for autox and road course HPDE use, so it was a trade off I accepted.
I'm sure there is some form of break in period but don't think it will be significant. I think you will have to make more of an adjustment to the new suspension rather than the other way around.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:13 PM
locotone07

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
How often are you planning on taking your car to the track? That is a nice setup for auto-cross...

I will probably never auto-cross my car, so I went with Koni STR.Ts with my factory springs and the ride is about as firm as I would ever want for a DD.
I'm not planning to tracking the car. Just wanted something a little firmer, the stock 'float' was killing me but now my stang has got the 'jitters'. I thought the Boss spring would have been just right as there not as firm as the Steedas and would produce less lowering...I'm waiting for the springs to settle before I take measurements to compare ride height but I can see the fronts are noticably lower than stock, not sure about the rears. I was told the STR.T's are made in Mexico (or at least some country other than Holland) while the Sports are actually made in Holland (not that that makes them any better, just my preference) and that the Sports are equivalent to the STR.Ts at their lowest setting...guess I choose incorrectly....I'll give these a go for a while. If anything I may go back to the stock springs...we'll see.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

I (and others) thought the OE Brembo rear springs were too stiff for the fronts, causing a hobby horse ride (uncomfortable). I switched to koni yellows and Steeda sports from Sam Strano, and now find the ride better than stock on full soft. Sam has somehow sourced straight rate springs, which I think makes all the difference. I do track my car, and comfort, after all, is in the a$$ of the beholder, so your results may vary.

I think ford has tried pretty hard to make the Boss 'balanced' in medium speed, neutral throttle corners. That means stiff rear springs, maybe too stiff. Try increasing the damping at the back to control the spring. I know it's counter intuitive, but the hobby horse sensation is not pleasant. Plus, it cost nothing.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:50 PM
locotone07

Originally Posted by Ansibe
I (and others) thought the OE Brembo rear springs were too stiff for the fronts, causing a hobby horse ride (uncomfortable). I switched to koni yellows and Steeda sports from Sam Strano, and now find the ride better than stock on full soft. Sam has somehow sourced straight rate springs, which I think makes all the difference. I do track my car, and comfort, after all, is in the a$$ of the beholder, so your results may vary.

I think ford has tried pretty hard to make the Boss 'balanced' in medium speed, neutral throttle corners. That means stiff rear springs, maybe too stiff. Try increasing the damping at the back to control the spring. I know it's counter intuitive, but the hobby horse sensation is not pleasant. Plus, it cost nothing.
Funny, I've never read any complaints about the Brembo springs (even though I didn't have them). I give the shock adjustment a try...like you said it cost nothing. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I have the brembo springs and I cannot stand how the car rides. it feels like there is very little dampening. I have several friends and family members that have pointed out how rough the ride is :/. I am trading out for steeda sport + koni str. t's soon since I planned on lowering it regardless.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:04 AM
donutsdemise
1st Gear Member

I was going to ask the same thing re. will the stock Brembo pkg suspension 'settle' due to what I see as a very '4wd' stance on my car. I guess I will add the Steeda springs to my Koni yellow mod plans and run it in the SCCA Solo Street Touring class which permits spring changes.

Thanks to the thread starter for bringing this up.

Quick Reply: Do new shocks/sturts/springs have a break-in period?