Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

front end shake...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 PM
ummduh

Default front end shake...

Just bought an 05 gt. It has new oe perellis on it. Alignment was not good so I had it aligned. Toe was .33" total, now is set at .1 per side .2 total. I think camera came in at -1.6 and -1.7, don't recall caster but it is all in spec.

Still shakes like a beast on the highway, gets much worse in turns on the highway, especially long right handers.

I've inspected everything and can't find anything loose/worn. It does have the strut mount rattle, but as I understand it that is pretty much just an anoying sound.

Car is all stock. It is high mileage, 136k. Unknown service history. Don't worry, got it CHEAP, was expecting a few issues.

Do I just start throwing parts at it or what?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 PM
ummduh

Camera= camber.

Forgot to mention I rotated the tires front to rear and initially it helped a bit on straight sections, but it is just as bad in curves. Was thinking tire balance, but it being so terrible in curves makes me think It's a part failure..
Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Have you checked the tread on the tires? OE tires and 136K miles are not a combination I would want to see, you'd be past the wear bars lol.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 AM
ummduh

They are brand new. But they are the original p zero nero a/s's.

I also checked for a bent rim by sight and they "appear" straight to me.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:13 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Hmm, did they balance the wheels at the same time they were aligned? Maybe an incorrect alignment... Have the tie-rods and ball joints checked as well- they are common causes of steering wheel shake.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:56 AM
JimC

How many miles on the tires while the alignment was off? You may have a bad wear pattern in the tire itself.

Just this weekend I started on replacing front suspension components on my car (195,000+ miles) and when I took the tires off I noticed that one sat tilted because of how it was worn - when I finished with the wheel bearings and put it back together I swapped tires and the pull was now going the other way.

With new tires the car tracks straight and no more wobble on the highway (still need to finish up with new ball joints and tie rods, but that is next weekend)
Old 02-07-2012, 08:04 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ummduh
They are brand new. But they are the original p zero nero a/s's.

I also checked for a bent rim by sight and they "appear" straight to me.
Hey man, is the shaking an "up and down" feeling?...or wobbly?

When you checked the rims, did you look to see if the rims wobbled when you spun them, or did you see if they raised up and down?

If your alignment is corrected, I'd definitely throw the wheels up on a balancer next.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 AM
ummduh

Originally Posted by JimC
How many miles on the tires while the alignment was off? You may have a bad wear pattern in the tire itself.

Just this weekend I started on replacing front suspension components on my car (195,000+ miles) and when I took the tires off I noticed that one sat tilted because of how it was worn - when I finished with the wheel bearings and put it back together I swapped tires and the pull was now going the other way.

With new tires the car tracks straight and no more wobble on the highway (still need to finish up with new ball joints and tie rods, but that is next weekend)
I don't know, I've only had the car 2 weeks now. They appear (hermes that word again) perfect by sight. I already rotated front to back, I'll try left to right next.

There is 1 I need to replace due to a staple in the sidewalk, but It's now in the rear and the pressure is correct.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:27 AM
ummduh

Originally Posted by moochman4life
Hey man, is the shaking an "up and down" feeling?...or wobbly?

When you checked the rims, did you look to see if the rims wobbled when you spun them, or did you see if they raised up and down?

If your alignment is corrected, I'd definitely throw the wheels up on a balancer next.
Yea I sighted them in both directions. They appear tru by sight. Id say the shake is and up and down feeling more than a side to side feeling.

As much as i want to, I really don't have the cash to throw everything at the front end right now.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ummduh
Yea I sighted them in both directions. They appear tru by sight. Id say the shake is and up and down feeling more than a side to side feeling.

As much as i want to, I really don't have the cash to throw everything at the front end right now.
Do you have a local do-it-yourself hobby shop? At places like that, there is usually a crew on hand that will help you with the basics. If you find a shop, see if they have a balancing machine and go throw them up there and see how it turns out. Should only cost a couple dolares. You might have a bad balance.

Do you feel the shake just in the steering wheel, or do you feel it in the seat or on the floor under your feet? If you bello out an "aaaahhhhhhh" while driving, is your voice "shaking"?

Quick Reply: front end shake...