Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Real mystery... Give your opinion!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Tivo304

Lightbulb Real mystery... Give your opinion!

Well hello everyone, I've been around here on an other username awhile back, figured I'd come visit and request some input (on an extremely frustrating type of issue)

Long story short, went to an open track day a few months back, over-compensated into a turn at around 40MPH, and ended up backwards, at an embarassing, slanted angle cars aren't supposed to ever be "parked" at. All seem fined for a short time. Until..

I developed the woefully illusive vibration!!! Which I will try to describe as detailed as possible, so you may provide an opinion on what it may be:

1. Vibration occurs @ exactly 64 mph. subsides even .5 mph above or below, then worsens above 72mph +, to where anyone as a passenger would realize it's not normal.

2. Vibration also occurs @ exactly 1900 rpm, in any gear, although not so noticeable to anyone but me.

3. Steering wheel shake @ around 65mph + - 3mph, not as specific as the general vibration @ 64mph.

4. If braking hard into a corner, even at extremely low speed (< 10mph) , definite roughness is felt, not the typical ABS feeling.

5. If below 'highway' speed (60+) nothing is felt. It drives just fine, minus minor "looseness" over bumps and potholes, which could also be a symptom.

Ive had the tires balanced, going to get an alignment, although I fear the problem may be something else worse. What is strange is that it did not occur immediately after my mishap. It began a short time after.

Ive come up with a whole range of possibilities: CV joints, U-joint, bent driveshaft, broken strut, warped rotors, bad motor/tranny mounts, bearings.. this all adds up!!$$$$ I'm beating my head over and over!!

Any input is greatly appreciated! Please and thank you.

Regards,
Travis
Old 02-07-2012, 10:04 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Welcome back!

First question: did you happen to hit anything, or run over anything?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:06 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

If you went through a turn and spun, did you hit any curbing? Was the track dry?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:42 AM
Tivo304

The track was in fact wet, I did not pop over any curbing, although it was a rather abrupt stop. I yanked my ebrake when I couldn't regain control. I stopped at an angle, I think the sideways motion really screwed me.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Wow, you should never "yank" your emergency brake. You are just making it worse when you lock up the wheels. Not sure what the vibration is coming from though...
Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 AM
67mustangblue

You may have a broken Steel belt inside the tire
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Tivo304

I thought that might be the case, although I got new michelins a few weeks after this happened. These problems were occurring before I got the new tires - and yes the ebrake was a bad idea lol, adrenaline took over. I had to replace the ebrake lines because one snapped.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Tivo304

Also, I had some suspension-type squeeks over minor bumps at low speed, pulling into driveway, etc., and minor brake squeek, both of which subsided.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i would bet you either hit the driveshaft and broke a u-joint or threw it out of balance or bent a wheel. i had a 87 lx 5.0 with a defective u-joint back in the day that did that same thing. you might go somewhere with the road force balancing machines and see what they can do with the wheels, i had a 05 gt vert that vibrated like crazy and when i upgraded wheels it went away.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

If it occurs at 1900 rpm in any gear, that would indicate a problem somewhere in the driveline forward of the transmission tailshaft. However, it gets worse above 72 mph? Does it escalate as your rpms increase at that point (i.e. above 1900 rpms)?

Engine and some tranny vibes will be rpm and/or load specific. Driveshaft, differential and wheels/tires will be speed specific.

I'm assuming you checked the obvious and removed ALL mud, rocks and debris from the wheels, driveshaft and rotors? Balancing the wheels should have addressed the wheels...

How are the wheel bearings? Driveshaft solid when you grab and shake? Those would be my top choices, but you may have a few things going on based on the symptoms.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Real mystery... Give your opinion!