Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Considering Upgrading my suspension...need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 PM
2010 desert mustang
1st Gear Member

Default Considering Upgrading my suspension...need some opinions

So I have a 2010 Mustang GT and the only suspension mods i have are Eibach springs, steed LCA, and an adjustable pan hard bar. So I am considering getting rid of my Eibach springs and upgrading to a coil over system or going with H&R springs with tokico D-spec shocks and struts. I use my car as a daily driver and I'm sure the ride can't get much worse then what it feels like right now. So I'm looking for something that will ride smoother but i also want to start going to the track as i plan to keep my car for a long time and I would like to actually have good and safe fun with my car. So I was just wondering what some of your opinions are on what I should do with my car?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

If you have the Eibach springs with the OEM shocks/struts than a simple change to Konis will more than likely put a smile on your face and keep coin in your pocket. Look back thru old posts on the subject - the consensus is the Konis are superior to the D-specs.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 PM
2010 desert mustang
1st Gear Member

Ok well my only comment is what is the general census on Eibach springs? I talked to a few track racers who have built several cars and they suggested that I get rid of those springs and just do coil overs as it will be just a few hundred dollars more. Would it really be worth the few extra hundred of dollars even though i don't go to the track much, but i hope to in the future.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

If you're planning to road course track the car then yes, coilovers would be ideal.
I suggest you attend at least one track day before committing to a coilover setup.
If you like it and get hooked like most first timers, then search the following brands:
Roush Trak pak kit (made by KW to Roush R&D specs)
Pedders Suspension
Strano Performance Parts
Steeda S197 kit
Saleen Racecraft

I went from a Roush Stage 2 suspension kit to the Roush trak pak coilovers as I track my car about 8 times @ year. Even on the softest setting it rides firmer than before but my car is not daily driven.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

For a strut suspended car the term "coilover" to me is misleading. A strut is composed of a coil spring over a damper, so your stock front end is in a sense already a "coilover". Lots of people toss out statements like "get coilovers, they are much better". In reality the only difference is in the adjustable perch hight. They allow you to corner balance your car and change ride height. Those are good things if you are looking to eke out a few 10ths more per lap. But on a DD they do nothing for you, ...vast majority of people who buy coilovers set them up in the begining and then never touch them again.

Rather than thinking about coilovers, IMO you should focus on the dampers. Good dampers in a non-coilover suspension will be far superior to bad dampers in a coilover setup. If you want and can afford some really high quality dampers in a coilover package...then go for it. But I seriously doubt you will be any happier than you'd be with good conventional components.

Which Eibach springs do you have? I used the Eibach Pro with D-specs (a few years ago, would get the Konis today) for many a track day and they work very well. They very much tightened up the pitch and roll vs the stockers and yet didn't drop the car so much as to mess up the suspension geometry. If on the other hand you have the Sportlines then, from what I've heard and read, they are to low and you should probably replace them if handling and ride are of more concern than looks.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:52 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Paul Brown just won a World Challenge championship and he is sponsored by Eibach. It's been a while since he and I discussed the details, but as I recall, he was running some form of Eibach springs on high end dampers. (not Pro Kit mind you, but still Eibach springs nonetheless)

I only bring it up because there are some internet snobs out there that insist Eibach springs are junk. Eibach makes great springs. I have UPR Pro Series springs on my 2006 GT, which are actually made for us by Eibach and they spec out the same as Eibach Pro Kit. I like how they ride & handle.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:06 AM
2010 desert mustang
1st Gear Member

Which Eibach springs do you have? I used the Eibach Pro with D-specs (a few years ago, would get the Konis today) for many a track day and they work very well. They very much tightened up the pitch and roll vs the stockers and yet didn't drop the car so much as to mess up the suspension geometry. If on the other hand you have the Sportlines then, from what I've heard and read, they are to low and you should probably replace them if handling and ride are of more concern than looks.
I have the Eibach Pro springs. So are you suggesting the Koni Yellows over the D-Specs. How much of a difference is there between the two? I just don't know much about suspension, hence all the questions and I don't want to make any wrong decisions while building up my car.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:14 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I've had both D-specs and Koni Yellows and like everyone else in this forum who has had both would not go back to the D-specs, especially on the street.

The best way to describe the Yellows is that they are less "harsh' on the street. There used to be a bump on the way to work. It was about a 1 inch vertical step in the pavement where a repair sank. Hitting it with the Konis was much easier on the kidneys.

The adjustment range on the Koni's is only 2 1/4 turns vs 6 or so on the D-specs but the actual range of adjustments that results in is much higher. At the track I used to run the D-specs on full hard at both ends. Tried that with the Koni's and thought it would shake my teeth out even on what is a pretty smooth track. People say they can feel the effect of a 1/8 turn on the Konis.

I waited until the Konis went on sale and then bought mine from Sam. Finding them on sale and in stock at the same time might be a challenge.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Argonaut said it best: if you're willing to corner balance your car to gain the last few tenths, get "coil-overs." Otherwise, call Sam and get the setup that suits your driving best. Frankly, even the stock setup is pretty well balanced. It does seem to benefit from a slight reduction in rear height, but you can do that with springs.

One good reason to buy coil-over suspension is because they're cool! Let's face it, we all do this Mustang thing in a large part because we get a kick out of it. I'm sure that on the same day and track, Sam would kick my a$$ in a stock v6 with snow tires. That didn't stop me buying suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, etc., etc., $$$$$$$$$$. Part of the reason I like my Mustang so much is that modifications are accessible, and for the most part affordable.

Enjoy your car, Desert.