Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Gt vs boss vs boss LS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Stangracer46

I have herd bad things about griggs performance and reliability i was originaly doing them but i have decided to go with all steeda suspension
Old 03-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

I've never heard "bad things" about Griggs products performance and reliability. When I was looking at the 05-09' S197 suspension mods for my Mustang purchase they were very informative and helpful. I was given several test rides in their GR40ST & GR40TT cars when they had the shop at Sears Point. Their R & D is first rate and they have built some really nice S197 chasis suspension kits, (4x4 brakes, SLA, Torque arm, etc). Griggs suspension mods were at the ceiling of my budget and in the end I went a different route. Anyway, I decided to purchase a turn-key track car from Roush, their 427R Trak Pak Mustang. Building a HPDE, NASA track car off the base model was to big a project for my schedule and time. I must say, I use Steeda's X5 ball joints and bump steer kit and find them to be excellent products.
Extreme track and race applications will diminish the reliability of any part and/or kit.
This being said, I wonder if Griggs has withdrawn from their role in the performance market for the S197 platform. They've moved from Sears Point to Petaluma and word of mouth around the track is minimal. I think Cortex Racing has licensed some of Griggs performance products as they are located at Sears Point Raceway. They have a really similar differential based watts link system. Next time I'm on track I'll look up the owner and shop and post back.

Last edited by Campo 427R; 03-03-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:40 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

id go with a high $$$ coilovers with a rear watts link and R comp tires.

That should run circles around the LS.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:09 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

you need to go to your track during an event and get some ride alongs. I've given several at the track to people, one guy sold his Caddy V and bought a boss after the ride along and he had that V heavily track modded. the street boss 302 is every bit as capable as the LS, and cheaper so don't over look it. the cars have the same power, and are the same weight. i've also put my boss by more than one driver with a car on coil overs and with other parts so a lot of what you do with an y of these cars will be dependent on you. Much of the money with the boss goes into the engine, it's very expensive to buy a GT, then crack it open and go all forged on the inside. The track is rough on engines and the Boss cars are made to run at red line all day and not wince.

There is also a lot to be said about not having to put money into the car to be competitive. The boss 302 is neutral and very capable right out of the box. a tire swap makes the car an altogether different beast. the factory tires hold the car back imho. that said, there are 302S cars out there is money isn't an issue, $75k will get you a real race car ready to run with the big dogs. I think its Reghan racing that has a white one right now for sale.

You may need less mods than you think on a Boss to be very competitive in TT racing. that said, sure you can throw money at a regular GT, but with Boss prices coming down in many areas, i'm not sure modding a normal GT is going to be cheaper unless you find some sort of a steal a normal GT at $25k, then $20k in mods puts you right back in Boss 302 pricing. several used and new boss' have been seen below sticker now, i have a buddy that just bought a used one with 3k on the clock for $37k. We have seen new ones going for 1-2k under. the boss will also have better resale value than a modded normal boss when the time comes.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

Ok guys,

After reading the posts and especially ShaneM's, my salesman at the local Ford dealer just called and said come look at our new Boss 302 on the floor. He will let me test drive it and compare it to my 2007 Roush 427R Trak Pak.
I'm going in now but afraid that I might really like it. I drive about 10 HPDEs with NASA and other companies just for fun, no race license aspirations.
I love my car and it is only a track toy with just under 10K miles on it. The differences I think are stainless steel brake lines, hi temp fluid, front cooling ducts and 200 treadwear 18" tires. I also have the Torsen style diff, 5 spd manual and 3:55 gears.
The Boss will have the Recaro seats, adjustable shocks or coilovers and an upgraded soft plastic interior?
So off now to check it out and get pricing.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Campo 427R
Ok guys,

After reading the posts and especially ShaneM's, my salesman at the local Ford dealer just called and said come look at our new Boss 302 on the floor. He will let me test drive it and compare it to my 2007 Roush 427R Trak Pak.
I'm going in now but afraid that I might really like it. I drive about 10 HPDEs with NASA and other companies just for fun, no race license aspirations.
I love my car and it is only a track toy with just under 10K miles on it. The differences I think are stainless steel brake lines, hi temp fluid, front cooling ducts and 200 treadwear 18" tires. I also have the Torsen style diff, 5 spd manual and 3:55 gears.
The Boss will have the Recaro seats, adjustable shocks or coilovers and an upgraded soft plastic interior?
So off now to check it out and get pricing.
all boss cars this side of the 302s racers ave adjustable dampers, no coil overs. you will like it, trust me. the car is very impressive right out of the box, it's made for the track.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

My performance shop owner, Don Walsh @ Walsh Motor Sports bought a Boss 302 and said flat out it was the smoothest best handling Mustang he had ever driven with fantastic grip in corners. He has worked on and raced many Mustangs, and he couldn't say enough good things about it. He is only changing it slightly, re-tune(he is a master Mustang tuner unlike many who claim to be), more aggressive springs, and lighter wheels, better rubber. These changes alone he feels make it incredible at the track. Erik
Old 03-08-2012, 03:01 PM
radioguy1

Originally Posted by Stangracer46
I have herd bad things about griggs performance and reliability i was originaly doing them but i have decided to go with all steeda suspension
I realize your question was focused on the suspension, but when you take the engine differences into account, the BOSS 302 is a fantastic buy. The engine in the BOSS 302 is only a distant cousin of the GT. Much stronger design, top and bottom, and some improved performance - including the track-key calibration.