Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Gt vs boss vs boss LS

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Stangracer46

Default Gt vs boss vs boss LS

Hello everyone i am new to the forum and hope to be sticking around. I am in the market for a new 2012 mustang that i will be using strictly for track use. I have raced with GTA, RTA, and NASA for the past two seasons in nissan gtr that has been mostly stock. For this next coming season i plan on arunning a rwd manual car, and being a long time mustang enthusiest i am down to a mustang gt, a boss 302, or a boss 302 laguna seca(if i can find one). Out of the box the choice is obvious but what does everyone think the best choice would be. I feel once i swap in adjustable coilovers and chassis braces, control arms, strut tower braces ......and so on is it worth the $ for a boss 302 or a boss laguna seca. Can a 2012 GT be build to out perform a boss on a road course for less money? I would love to see what everyone thinks thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:38 AM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

I would buy a Boss 302 with the Torsen differential, 3:73 gears and Recaro seat options. Then corner weight it and track it.
The only other mods would be a watts link system and then a set of track dedicated lightweight wheels and tires.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:52 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stangracer46
Hello everyone i am new to the forum and hope to be sticking around. I am in the market for a new 2012 mustang that i will be using strictly for track use. I have raced with GTA, RTA, and NASA for the past two seasons in nissan gtr that has been mostly stock. For this next coming season i plan on arunning a rwd manual car, and being a long time mustang enthusiest i am down to a mustang gt, a boss 302, or a boss 302 laguna seca(if i can find one). Out of the box the choice is obvious but what does everyone think the best choice would be. I feel once i swap in adjustable coilovers and chassis braces, control arms, strut tower braces ......and so on is it worth the $ for a boss 302 or a boss laguna seca. Can a 2012 GT be build to out perform a boss on a road course for less money? I would love to see what everyone thinks thanks for the help guys.
Hey man, welcome!

Are you legit racing, or HPDE? The reason I ask is this: if you're doing strictly track days, have the dollars but don't want to mod the crap out of the car, out of the box - IMO - the LS is the way to go. Less creature comforts = so what?

However, there was a thread some time ago up on here about converting a GT to a Boss or something...it was a long *** thread, too! You can always take a stock GT, throw some money at it with the correct parts and turn out a winner...and for less than the LS.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Stangracer46

This season i will de doing HPDE and racing in the GTA rwd limited class (time trials) the reason i have not jumped into a laguna seca is i believe a regula gt with 15-20k into it will still be cheeper and could out perform either of the boss' but if everyone thinks the boss is the way to go i will look into that instead
Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 AM
302_HBU
1st Gear Member

This season i will de doing HPDE and racing in the GTA rwd limited class (time trials) the reason i have not jumped into a laguna seca is i believe a regula gt with 15-20k into it will still be cheeper and could out perform either of the boss' but if everyone thinks the boss is the way to go i will look into that instead

Depends on what kind of time, money, blood, sweat, tears..etc you are willing to put into it..The Boss' will obviously perform better out of the box but then again that is just a convenience factor..A lot to take into consideration when deciding but I'm sure whatever you decide will be badass! Make sure to post up pictures once you go ahead with something!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Stangracer46

I will definitely post pics hopefully i will decide on something soon
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Any occasional street duty? Why not an FR500? 302 just said "blood, sweat, tears" and then "convenience factor", which are good points. What are you willing to invest, or do you just want to go get a turn-key race car and be done with it? 15-20k into a GT is a beast of a GT, though. Of course, you're probably familiar with the class rules on what you're allowed/not allowed in terms of power adders, suspension, etc.

Last edited by moochman4life; 02-22-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: No edit.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:18 AM
Stangracer46

You know i had put some thought into an FR500 last season but i couldnt find one. That is why i did not bring it up this year. It would be a great car to race but again ive have better luck finding boss302 laguna seca's
Old 03-03-2012, 01:57 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

if your gonna race it and beat the snot out of it, id build a GT. the Boss 302 is an awesome out of the box car to drive hard, but its more of a prestige thing, yes you could out build one for cheaper... but there is the Boss name and legacy with the Boss 302
Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 AM
reece146

FWIW I'm at the same stage as the OP. I've been reading up on the cars and feel that I am better served by getting a GT and then doing engine bolt ons and "Griggs style" suspension bolt ons to SLA the front end and drop a few hundred pounds.

Our club's rule book is different from SCCA though, as soon as R comps get installed the car is bumped to our unlimited class so I have the luxury of not building to a rule set.

Quick Reply: Gt vs boss vs boss LS