Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

11 gt handling issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 AM
ebman

Default 11 gt handling issue?

i have a gt with the A6 for reference. its not uncontrollable by any means, but under hard acceleration when it shifts the *** end squats as it should but it also swirves to the side pretty violently, enough that i have to counter steer a bit to keep things going straight. ( not because the tires are spinning either) i dont think its the case, but its almost like theres too much play in the mounts for the rear axle and the axle turns a fraction of an inch like a rear steer vehicle. is there anything that can be done to correct this? there is only 4k miles on the car so im sure nothing is wore out.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:32 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Change your shocks / struts / springs. Konis shocks & Struts/ Steeda springs / Steeda upper strut mounts. Check out if your rear end is centered in the opening. If not, adjustable panhard rod. Stranoparts.com or steeda.com.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by ebman
i have a gt with the A6 for reference. its not uncontrollable by any means, but under hard acceleration when it shifts the *** end squats as it should but it also swirves to the side pretty violently, enough that i have to counter steer a bit to keep things going straight. ( not because the tires are spinning either) i dont think its the case, but its almost like theres too much play in the mounts for the rear axle and the axle turns a fraction of an inch like a rear steer vehicle. is there anything that can be done to correct this? there is only 4k miles on the car so im sure nothing is wore out.
Your torque slide is cause by the flexing of the rubber in the rear upper and lower control arms. I get that all the time in 08 auto GT with Bama tune and stock pieces.

Rubber is great to provide a quiet, somewhat cushy ride but sucks under hard acceleration where it is too soft and can deform. Over time it will get worse as the rubber weakens.

Springs and shocks will only make things worse unless you address the arms first.

Panhard rod has no relevancy for straight line acceleartion or the symptoms you have...

Look for a non-adjustable Upper control arm unless you are lowering your car. If you are lowering it, try to find a non-adjustable for a lowered car. Adjustables are Ok but their weak point is the threaded rod that can snap.

A good compromise in performance versus quiet are the GT500 control arms. They have a higher durometer (stiffer) material for the bushings but also retain a lower NVH (noise vibration and harshness) characteristic than other aftermarket pieces. Aftermarket pieces that uses Polyurethane can be more loud but will offer better traction as a tradeoff.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

ebman, your GT should go straight. Mine does, and always has. 2nd gear, wfo, no problem. A stock 2011 GT handles very well, this shouldn't happen.

Even with the TC on, on cold pavement the tires spin-up, but the car goes straight. Take yours "straight" to the dealer and have it checked. Maybe your PHB or LCAs are loose, allowing some sideways movement.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Assuming everything is working as it should and the tire pressures are correct, I'd recommend upgrading the control arms and panhard bar to get rid of the squirrelly feeling in the rear suspension.

These control arms-
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...ackage-11.html

And this panhard bar-
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-p...rd-bar-05.html

^^those parts are Made in America, they carry a Lifetime Guarantee, and you get a 10% discount on them since you're an MF.com member.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Are you experiencing any wheel hop when the *** end swirves to the side?

Thanks
TJ