Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

VIR Track Day - April 10 & 11

Old 03-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default VIR Track Day - April 10 & 11

I'm considering joining a group of drivers from Toronto, Ontario, Canada going to this event. I've been tracking my car now for 3 years and have about 25 events in total including at least 5 at Mosport which is also a high speed track.

http://www.davidmurry.com/event-list...ys-2012?xref=1

My preparation for the season will consist of;
1) thorough check of all suspension components
2) new Ford GT500 front and stock rear rotors, new Carbotech XP10 pads and new ATE Superblue brake fluid
3) Oil change

Just prior to this event I'll do a session at my local small track to shake the cobwebs out of myself and the car.

Instruction is included at VIR.

I'll probably need to block off some brake cooling.

The trans and diff fluids are Royal Purple put in before my first track day.

The engine and intercooler coolant were replaced last year.

I'll be running 275/35/18 Nitto NT01s, about 26" dia, with a 3.55 rear diff ratio. The engine rev limiter is set at 6,250 RPM.

Car mods are per my sig.

Any thoughts? It is a long way to go so I don't want to blow up.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I think your car will be fine. You going to drive all that way on the Nitto's or carry them along in the car? Bring your old rotors along just in case, the new ones will be fine but you never know.

You guys are picking a pricey event. I instantly thought how cool it would be to meet you there but thats a bit more than I'm will to pay.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
I think your car will be fine. You going to drive all that way on the Nitto's or carry them along in the car? Bring your old rotors along just in case, the new ones will be fine but you never know.

You guys are picking a pricey event. I instantly thought how cool it would be to meet you there but thats a bit more than I'm will to pay.
I agree it not cheap but basically it is an open track for two full days.

It gets really expensive when you add gas back and forth plus hotels etc but what the heck it is only my retirement money.

Good point about the rotors. I'll also bring my pads from this year which still have some life in them and spare brake fluid.

By the way is 93/94 octane available at or near the track? Running at those speeds my gas gauge goes down about as fast as the tach goes up. The car is tuned for 91 but seems to prefer 93/94.

I'll be carrying the Nitto's in the car as they will be nearly slicks. Not the safest choice for a long trip like that but I put them behind the passenger seat, which will be empty, and only put light stuff behind my seat.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
By the way is 93/94 octane available at or near the track? Running at those speeds my gas gauge goes down about as fast as the tach goes up. The car is tuned for 91 but seems to prefer 93/94.
Colin - 93 octane is available right at the track. Its a little more than you could purchase it for off track but the nearest off-track pumps are many miles away (VIR is out in the country).
Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Colin - 93 octane is available right at the track. Its a little more than you could purchase it for off track but the nearest off-track pumps are many miles away (VIR is out in the country).
Argonaut

Thanks for the answer. It is like that at Mosport but the extra cost is worth the time savings.

I talked to the trip organizer and we are staying right at the track.

There is also a possibility that for a reasonable cost my car can go down on a spare spot on someone else's trailer. That will ease my mind a lot it we can organize it.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:25 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

you might want to give the carbotech rp2 pads a try, its an endurance pad with the same stopping power as the XP10 only it lasts longer. trade off is less modulation. it sounds like you have your bases covered, just bring extra pads just in case. have fun and bring us some vid!

Any of you track guys want to come up to texas, im hitting a two day event at MSR cresson april 28-29, we will be running the full 3.1 course! and track guys need to be sure to plan on hitting the track of the Americas with me in Austin when it opens later this year, that will be epic! first track day, I am so there.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
track guys need to be sure to plan on hitting the track of the Americas with me in Austin when it opens later this year, that will be epic! first track day, I am so there.
LOL...you and about a thousand other track junkies! Has there been any official word - will the new track be rented out for club events? Sure hope so, that would indeed be epic. If yes, can you imagine the cost...everyone in north america is going to want to drive that track.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:18 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

LOL...you and about a thousand other track junkies! Has there been any official word - will the new track be rented out for club events? Sure hope so, that would indeed be epic. If yes, can you imagine the cost...everyone in north america is going to want to drive that track.
yes the have said it will be rented out for events. i worry with the f1 and moto gp prestige that it will be a $500 track weekend though and ruin it for us normal track guys.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

We leave tomorrow morning and will be on track Tuesday and Wednesday.

The car is going down and back in a trailer and I get to ride in the truck.

We are staying right at the track and have a garage space for our use.

The weather forecast is mainly sunny with a high of 57F/14C both days.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Here is a brief bio from the Canadian Motorsports Hall of Fame for one of the two instructors on the trip

Biography
Craig Fisher of Toronto was one of the top sedan drivers in North America in the '60s and early '70s, winning several CASC and SCCA class and overall sedan championships. A former member of the Canadian Comstock Racing Team, Craig and the late Mark Donohue finished 1-2 in the 12 Hours of Sebring in Roger Penske Trans-Am Camaros in 1968. Craig Fisher became the first Canadian to win a Trans-Am when he teamed with Mark Donohue at Marlboro, Maryland in 1968. He was the first driver to score Trans-Am points for both Chevrolet and Pontiac divisions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VIR Track Day - April 10 & 11