Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

GT500 Strut Mounts and alignment thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:40 PM
EthanP71

Default GT500 Strut Mounts and alignment thoughts...

Let me first start off by saying that I am a noob to Mustangs. I have done a lot of autocrossing in my Crown Vic, but suspension setup was easy in that car because, quite frankly, no one made anything aftermarket for it. So for my noobness, I'm sorry.

When I bought my Mustang a couple months ago, it had already been modified. Here's the current setup from what I've gathered:

-Tokico D Specs (although someone forgot to give up the adjuster tool when they traded in the car)
-Steeda 7/8" rear sway bar
-Stock front sway bar
-Steeda Springs (still not sure until I pull the wheels off, but the springs are blue and I would assume they are Steeda because of the presence of other Steeda parts)
-Steeda strut tower bar

As of right now, the car handles well, although with a little understeer, but more importantly, something in the front end is just banging and popping away during low speed turning and espcially over bumps at low speed. From what I've gathered from reading countless threads, its the strut mounts. That brings me to the purpose of this thread. This car will be autocrossed occasionally with HPDE being an eventual goal. Does anyone see any reason to not get the GT500 strut mounts? I feel like I'm still a bit of a ways off from learning the car enough to be able to fine tune the camber to perfectly meet each autocross. I'd rather just drive the car and learn to drive it well as much as I can. Would I need to buy anything else to install the GT500 strut mounts onto my current D Specs and springs? (Isolaters, bolts, etc.?) Will the GT500 mounts allow enough alignment adjustability to get a nice "performance street," shall we say, alignment?

And that brings me to the alignment questions. I know not everyone's willing to give up their exact specs, but any advice would be great. I'm not looking for strictly an autocross alignment since I want the car to be driveable and not burn through tires the other 29 days of the month. Just looking for any help on specs that'll give a little bit more grip than stock numbers.

So you guys know my endgame for the car, in the not too distant future I'll be installing slotted rotors with HPS pads, 18" SVE Drift wheels (when they start releasing the 18's with proper offsets for S197's), 275 width tires, and eventually an aftermarket front sway bar.

I really appreciate the help, thanks guys.