Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Looking for Suspension Advice

Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Default Looking for Suspension Advice

Hey,

I've tried searching through threads (couldn't find anything for exactly what i'm looking for) and calling Sam (hasn't answered =( ).

Basically, I'm looking for an easy suspension setup for my daily driver 08 GT. I'm going to be introducing a Whipple H/O kit, and plan on running this 19x8.5/19x10 staggered wheel/tire setup from AM:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/blackg...elli-stag.html

I have done absolutely no suspension/handling work at all yet, and am a huge novice in this area. My goals are simple:

1. Keep as a daily driver PRIMARILY (IE: comfortable ride.. hence why I didn't get 20's)

2. Will be on the German autobahn a lot, and driven long distances, so not sure if that has a huge affect on things, but it will be going pretty quickly.

3. Be able to comfortably tackle European "fun" tracks, like the Nurburgring, without making me (an amateur) feel like I'm going to roll or run into a barrier (IE.. maintain a safe buffer zone for corners)

4. Keep it in a reasonable budget - no more than 3k for now, though that can up if absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:06 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Xeremeh
Hey,

I've tried searching through threads (couldn't find anything for exactly what i'm looking for) and calling Sam (hasn't answered =( ).

Basically, I'm looking for an easy suspension setup for my daily driver 08 GT. I'm going to be introducing a Whipple H/O kit, and plan on running this 19x8.5/19x10 staggered wheel/tire setup from AM:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/blackg...elli-stag.html

I have done absolutely no suspension/handling work at all yet, and am a huge novice in this area. My goals are simple:

1. Keep as a daily driver PRIMARILY (IE: comfortable ride.. hence why I didn't get 20's)

2. Will be on the German autobahn a lot, and driven long distances, so not sure if that has a huge affect on things, but it will be going pretty quickly.

3. Be able to comfortably tackle European "fun" tracks, like the Nurburgring, without making me (an amateur) feel like I'm going to roll or run into a barrier (IE.. maintain a safe buffer zone for corners)

4. Keep it in a reasonable budget - no more than 3k for now, though that can up if absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance!
This package sounds exactly like what you are looking for:
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-h...d-mustang.html

It has our Pro-Action shocks/struts, sport springs, strut tower brace, bumpsteer kit, balljoints, and front/rear swaybars.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:14 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

that steeda kit is an option, but the most recommended setup around here is koni yellows and steeda sport springs. that is a fantastic combination with better than factory ride quality and plenty of control for the track.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2005-2010.html

This is the Roush Stage 2 suspension kit at $1,399. Ebay may be cheaper.
This is the stock suspension on my 2007 427R before my Trak Pak coilover mod which made it ride firmer/harder. The coilovers suit my track needs though and was worth the ride quality trade-off. My Mustang is not my daily driver.

FYI, Sam Strano responds quicker to emails.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

My prescription would be:

Koni Yellows
GT500 strut mounts
UPR Pro Series Springs
UPR upper and lower rear control arms. (Pro Street)
UPR double adjustable panhard bar
Eibach swaybars
UPR swaybar endlinks

^^that is a nice setup, very similar to what I'm running on my '06, and it's about $1600 which leaves you enough money to upgrade your brakes within your $3000 budget. Believe me, you'll need brake upgrades!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Campo 427R
http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2005-2010.html

This is the Roush Stage 2 suspension kit at $1,399. Ebay may be cheaper.
This is the stock suspension on my 2007 427R before my Trak Pak coilover mod which made it ride firmer/harder. The coilovers suit my track needs though and was worth the ride quality trade-off. My Mustang is not my daily driver.

FYI, Sam Strano responds quicker to emails.
How was the ride quality before the trak pak? That's more what I'm interested in preserving. And I've tried e-mailing Sam. Nothing in response. I suppose he's just really busy.

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
My prescription would be:

Koni Yellows
GT500 strut mounts
UPR Pro Series Springs
UPR upper and lower rear control arms. (Pro Street)
UPR double adjustable panhard bar
Eibach swaybars
UPR swaybar endlinks

^^that is a nice setup, very similar to what I'm running on my '06, and it's about $1600 which leaves you enough money to upgrade your brakes within your $3000 budget. Believe me, you'll need brake upgrades!
As far as Yellows go, I've seen a lot about how they are mostly for tracks, and that the SRTs are used for everyday DD's. Are the Yellows harsher than SRTs? And also the huge debate on U/LCA. Are they really necessary on the S197 for non-tracks as well?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:26 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Sam says the STR.Ts are like Yellows on full soft.

What you need depends on how hard you drive the car and how well you can detect and benefit from the changes.

For street use you should probably not be driving any where near the limit where some of these modifications are a benefit.

And yes Sam seems to be really busy these days - you can tell from the number of postings he has been making.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:36 AM
YerBuddy
2nd Gear Member

Hi Xeremeh,

Are you at an APO address? I'm not too far from you in Hohenfels. Shipping to an APO can be a real hassle as you already know if you're in that same boat as I am. I was able to get in touch with Sam and he shipped my Steeda Sports, Koni STR.Ts and Steeda HD Mounts to me for a shipping cost of $60. He was able to package it well and get everything into one box and it made it here in good condition. If I were going to track the car I would have gone with the Ultralights and Koni Yellows (I think he's still got a sale going on right now), but for my DD the sports and str.ts are just fine.

Naturally, any lowered car is going to have a bit harder ride, but the combination he sent me works well and is comfortable for a guy with an "old-man-back." I fell in love all over again. Here's what mine looks like with stock wheels:

I also added a BMR Panhard and will change out the LCAs and sways later on. At the moment I don't feel I need them, but may do it anyway after I take care of more important things like wheels, tires, tune, etc.

I recommend keep trying to get ahold of Sam and let him do his magic.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
Sam says the STR.Ts are like Yellows on full soft.

What you need depends on how hard you drive the car and how well you can detect and benefit from the changes.

For street use you should probably not be driving any where near the limit where some of these modifications are a benefit.
I think that STR.T's are what I'll end up going for.

Like I said, I'm pretty novice on the tracks, but I want to start off with a good base that I can learn well on, and still keep as a DD.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by YerBuddy
Are you at an APO address? I'm not too far from you in Hohenfels. Shipping to an APO can be a real hassle as you already know if you're in that same boat as I am. I was able to get in touch with Sam and he shipped my Steeda Sports, Koni STR.Ts and Steeda HD Mounts to me for a shipping cost of $60. He was able to package it well and get everything into one box and it made it here in good condition. If I were going to track the car I would have gone with the Ultralights and Koni Yellows (I think he's still got a sale going on right now), but for my DD the sports and str.ts are just fine.

I also added a BMR Panhard and will change out the LCAs and sways later on. At the moment I don't feel I need them, but may do it anyway after I take care of more important things like wheels, tires, tune, etc.
Hey, yeah, I am at an APO address, though my buddy said I can send things to his house if needed... which is what I'll have to end up doing with my S/C, I'm sure. That setup is kind of what I've been leaning on, but I want to get in touch with Sam before pulling the trigger. I'm going to try and call him tonight about it.

Have you done much driving abouts yet? I'm really interested in a few of the tracks (including the famous nurburgring), and some of the rural driving across the continent. I fell in with a british mustang club that are pretty friendly to "yanks", so plan on running with them a bit. Let me know if you're interested in doing a few runs once I get back!

As far as the PHB and U/LCAs, I've heard a lot of go back and forth between them, but nothing solid for what I want to do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for Suspension Advice