Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Front end squeak/chirp... lowered, need help identifying culprit--Vid and pic inside-

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 05:14 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation

Took it in to the shop that did the install today, but couldn't get there until about 4:30 or so. The guy who did the install rode around the block with me so he could hear the squeak. Anyway, he jacked it up and looked it over. He ended up greasing the steeda mount, s well as greasing the strut rod itself(that has done nothing so far). Bottom line, he wasn't able to figure out what was causing the noise. Granted, I did get there super late, and he only had a short time to mess with it. He told me to bring it back up there Monday morning so that he could have more time, and more hands to look it over. Needles to say, still have the birds under the hood. I did stop atAuto Zone on my way home to pick up some silicone spray to see if it might be spring/strut contact at the bottom of the spring where the rubber sleeve stops and exposes the end of the coil(about 2" woth of bare spring). I sprayed some on both sides and drove around for a bit. This did nothing to affect the sound either, so I'm not sure the positioning of that sleeve is having anything to do with it. I do know after today that is only coming from the front, and not from the rear. Do you guys think it could be a faulty strut(s)?? I know my 1st video was crap as far as conveying the noise, but I made another one and you can clearly hear what's happening. I also made a video of me bouncing the front end in my garage, so you can hear what it's doing sittingstill as well. These are very short videos, so if you guys would't mind checking them out and giving me some feedback it would be greatly appreciated! Also, any advice on things to ask, bring up, when I bring it back to the shop on Monday morning?

Here's a better idea of what I'm getting.

in the garage

Last edited by HOTRODD77; 04-04-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: stupid phone
Old 04-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Dacam

Here is my defective front Koni STRT strut.
As you can see in the vid, the squeak happened upon the rebound stroke of the strut shaft. I was very loud when installed going over speed bumps and driving over minor road imperfections.
I was told by Koni, that the noise is from the strut shaft seal being really tight.
It may go away over time or it may not. They told me to try spraying silicone lube and see if that helps....NOT!
I got so pissed off that I just bought another set, this time Tokico's.
I hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:04 AM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

From what I can tell everything is tight. My endlinks look to be in good condition. Made sure the strut mount bolts were torqued. The only thing I couldn't check was the top strut nut because I didn't have a deep socket in that size. After looking at my video more, I'm starting to think it may be the actual strut that's the issue. Listen to the sound it's making wen I bounce the driver's side, something's not right with that. It doesn't do that on the pass side