Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Question about aftermarket rims/tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 AM
ring3r
1st Gear Member

Default Question about aftermarket rims/tires

I've just purchased one of the last remaining 2012 Mustang GTs in Germany (I just returned from deployment due to injury and am finally recovered enough to drive).

Extremely excited...got hugely lucky, the car has EVERY single option I wanted, in the color I wanted. Race red, Brembo package, HIDs, upgraded premium trim interior.

I did a search of the forums just now and couldn't find an answer to the particular question I have...apologies if it's been answered but I couldn't find it.

I plan on getting another set of rims/tires, since I will be running performance summer tires. Winter tires turn the Mustang into an incredibly fun winter car! (I did just fine with my old '95 Cobra back in South Dakota winters...and that didn't even have traction/stability control!)

However, my approach to things is different than most people (hence not being able to use search to find an answer). I don't want big rims. I want to downsize to 18's. Specifically, 18in Forgestars, the 5 spoke design. Perhaps upgrade to 265 width tires, in a square set-up, with a taller sidewall so the speedometer is still accurate.

That would shave a TON of unsprung mass compared with the 19in rims that come with the Brembo package.....but of course they put 19in rims on the Brembo package to clear the brakes. So....is what I want to do even possible? I know that a number of Camaro owners end up going down to 19in rims on their Brembo equipped SS cars and there aren't clearance issues.

Anybody able to chime in on this? Also, how much would I lose in terms of responsiveness if I go with a slightly taller sidewall? I want a handling upgrade, not a downgrade, and if the reduced mass is offset by screechy, spongy steering response due to the taller sidewall, I'd stick with 19s. The Forgestars would still be about 4 pounds lighter each in that case.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on your recovery. I'll be back in a few months myself. Where are you based at? There are a few of us across Germany on these boards and others. Definitely will have to get together and do a few cruises .=) As far as your other questions, I believe that the 18's will clear the brakes, but that's about as knowledgeable as I get on tires. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 AM
ring3r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeremeh
Congrats on your recovery. I'll be back in a few months myself. Where are you based at? There are a few of us across Germany on these boards and others. Definitely will have to get together and do a few cruises .=) As far as your other questions, I believe that the 18's will clear the brakes, but that's about as knowledgeable as I get on tires. Good luck!
Thanks. I'm in Schweinfurt, over with 1-77 FA. SUPPOSED to be deployed for another month still, but my back let go. Had to have a disc removed, another shaved down, and extra spaced drilled into one of my vertebrae. Hell of a thing for being 28, but at least the nerve damage is manageable, and my age means I'll recover well.

Would love to do a cruise - I'm still waiting on delivery of the car, it was on the other side of the country.

Glad to hear that 18s will clear the brakes. I suspected they would and that the upgraded rims were really just for show....counterproductive since they're actually HEAVIER. Oh well. They'll make a good winter rim. Time to contact somebody in the industry to start answering more specific stuff!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ring3r
Thanks. I'm in Schweinfurt, over with 1-77 FA. SUPPOSED to be deployed for another month still, but my back let go. Had to have a disc removed, another shaved down, and extra spaced drilled into one of my vertebrae. Hell of a thing for being 28, but at least the nerve damage is manageable, and my age means I'll recover well.

Would love to do a cruise - I'm still waiting on delivery of the car, it was on the other side of the country.

Glad to hear that 18s will clear the brakes. I suspected they would and that the upgraded rims were really just for show....counterproductive since they're actually HEAVIER. Oh well. They'll make a good winter rim. Time to contact somebody in the industry to start answering more specific stuff!
Its not so much the rim size that is an issue with 18s as it is an issue of spoke clearance. Sam sells those Enkeis (PF01) in 18x9.5 that clear the Brembos in both 45mm offset and 35mm offset. That would be a good match for 265 wide tires and is lightweight at 20lbs each. It will set you back $1400 though not including shipping overseas assuming he can/will ship overseas.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Hi guys,

I'm ex- Canadian Air Force, I feel for you both and hope you recover 100%. One thing I learned: never give up!

Anyway, the wheels. Lots of guys switch their OEM 19s for 18s, and getting them to fit around the brakes is the most common problem. 18s seem to go over the calipers no problem, but many won't clear them laterally. The wheel spokes hit them.

If your main concern is tire selection, look for a set of GT500 18x9.5 take-offs, or FRPP wheels in the 18x9.5 size. The wheels are high quality, cheap, and there is lots of good rubber to fit. They're not the lightest, though. Figure about $800.

If weight is a bigger concern, and you have some cash, there are better options. Stick to the 18x9.5 size, but look for Enkei PF01 (call Sam Strano), or Forgestar F14 for about $1350. Both are great wheels which will fit around the Brembo brakes. FWIW, I prefer the made in America Forgestar, but that's a personal choice.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
ring3r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ansibe
Hi guys,

I'm ex- Canadian Air Force, I feel for you both and hope you recover 100%. One thing I learned: never give up!

Anyway, the wheels. Lots of guys switch their OEM 19s for 18s, and getting them to fit around the brakes is the most common problem. 18s seem to go over the calipers no problem, but many won't clear them laterally. The wheel spokes hit them.

If your main concern is tire selection, look for a set of GT500 18x9.5 take-offs, or FRPP wheels in the 18x9.5 size. The wheels are high quality, cheap, and there is lots of good rubber to fit. They're not the lightest, though. Figure about $800.

If weight is a bigger concern, and you have some cash, there are better options. Stick to the 18x9.5 size, but look for Enkei PF01 (call Sam Strano), or Forgestar F14 for about $1350. Both are great wheels which will fit around the Brembo brakes. FWIW, I prefer the made in America Forgestar, but that's a personal choice.
Thanks! I was already hot for the Forgestar F14s or the CF5s. I got in contact with Paul over at Howey Industries and he gave me an excellent breakdown of suggested sizes, the weight of the rims, etc. Price seemed extremely fair to me, even after checking with other offers.

I'll be going with matte-black F14s in 18x9.5 at all four corners, running a square 275 set-up. I don't plan on any kind of radical drop, an inch at most, so that set-up should get rid of a LOT of unsprung weight and look classy as hell on my race-red stang. Definitely going the red/black route. Blackout rear decklid panel, black saleen grill (without the saleen emblem), delete all the badges, along with matte-black rims and possibly a matte-black vinyl applique on the hood power-bulge. At a later date I may see if I can get the non-essential brightwork in the HID housings painted to match too, and perhaps a mild tail-light tint job. Should make for one clean looking ride!

Now my only decision is whether to do a set of Koni Yellows from Sam first, or do the rims/tires first. I'll need an extra set of rims for winter tires anyways, so I'm leaning towards the rim/tires given the great price Howey Industries quoted me....yeah it's double the price of the Koni shock/strut package but I DO actually need an extra set of rims. I don't see the point of doing any power mods right now because the car already runs faster than snot...handling all the way! I just wish I could justify getting all of it at once, but while I technically could afford it without trouble, I make myself stick to a certain budget.

Last edited by ring3r; 04-11-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

Paul at Howey treated me very well. F14s in 18x9.5 sounds awesome.

I have used my 2011 GT on the track with the stock suspension and Koni yellow/Steeda spring setup as per Sam Strano. I could hardly believe how much better my car looked with "just" a 1" drop. Also, with the Konis full soft, the ride is better than stock. At the track it is definitely better on the Konis, but the stock setup is very good. At some point you should get the car "Strano'ed," but if I were you, I'd get the rims first.

The coyote 5.0 is the best engine I've ever tried. Mine stays with the 911S and M3 crowd at the track, and is easier to drive as well. Having said that, I added the Boss intake and an SCT tune this spring and the car now makes 411 Hp at the wheels. I'm pretty happy with that!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Hah. Small world. I'm with 9E. Be back soon enough. =) I plan on keeping my stock 18" and buying winter tires, then having a set of staggered 19"'s for summer time. =)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:34 AM
ring3r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeremeh
Hah. Small world. I'm with 9E. Be back soon enough. =) I plan on keeping my stock 18" and buying winter tires, then having a set of staggered 19"'s for summer time. =)
We've probably seen each other then - although I don't recognize the car in your signature.

Definitely looking forward to taking delivery of the pony.....can't BELIEVE the deal I got on it. Keeping the same payment as my GTI and the thing is fully loaded...brembo, 3.73s, manual, premium interior. Race red GT!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

We've probably seen each other then - although I don't recognize the car in your signature.

Definitely looking forward to taking delivery of the pony.....can't BELIEVE the deal I got on it. Keeping the same payment as my GTI and the thing is fully loaded...brembo, 3.73s, manual, premium interior. Race red GT!
I only arrived in Schweinfurt about 2 months before deployment, so didn't get to do too much driving around. It mostly sat outside 202 and the MADD. lol. Congrats on your package. Mine had the upgraded gears for 3.55s. I may switch up to 3.73's, but I'm not sure so small of a jump would be worth it. I will be doing a lot of modding (supercharger and suspension first) once I get back, so you're more than welcome to peek in. =)

Quick Reply: Question about aftermarket rims/tires