Search



Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > S197 Handling Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member
 
jsimmonstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2012 V6 Coupe
Location: TX
Posts: 632
Default I'm Confused

Was looking at struts/shocks for my 2012 (specifically some Koni STR.Ts), and from what I gather, if you use the GT500 strut mounts, you have to get 2010 struts?

My head hurts. What's the real skinny?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________

My 2012 427w Shelby Tribute
jsimmonstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member
 
safetyfastgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT Convertible
Location: TN
Posts: 91
Default

Ford used a different mount for the struts on 2011+. Still the same crappy design, but the struts use a smaller threaded portion that goes through the mount than earlier designs. Sam Strano convinced me that the Steeda HD mounts were the way to go and that's what I purchased. They make them for 2010 and earlier, which is what you'll want to go with the Konis. You'll need the rubber isolator from a 2010 and earlier strut mount or GT500 mount to put on the Steeda mount.
safetyfastgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
SteedaBrandon
Premium Sponsor

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Vehicle: n/a
Location: n/a
Posts: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmonstx View Post
Was looking at struts/shocks for my 2012 (specifically some Koni STR.Ts), and from what I gather, if you use the GT500 strut mounts, you have to get 2010 struts?

My head hurts. What's the real skinny?
2005-2010 strut mounts are the same as the 2007-2012 GT500 strut mounts. To use dampers that were designed for the '05-'10/'07-'12 GT500, you must have the upper spring isolator from the GT500 strut mounts.

As far as I know, our Pro-Action dampers are the only ones on the market (as of right now) that will fit '11-'12 Mustangs without requiring the GT500 upper spring isolator.

Maybe I can help recommend some dampers. What is the purpose of your car? Daily-driver, weekend car, and do you track it?
SteedaBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member
 
jsimmonstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2012 V6 Coupe
Location: TX
Posts: 632
Default

It's strictly a daily driver. I've got Eibach Pro springs "in the mail", and I figured as long as I was changing springs, I'd look into changing the struts/shocks as well. I was considering Koni STR.Ts along with the GT500 mounts and some camber bolts, but selecting the correct configuration is just as difficult as deciding on what wheels/tires to use.

Speaking of that, I have AMR GT500 wheels on 255/45ZR18s (if that matters).

My tale of woe (and I think most of us have been here):

I understand that I'm dealing with the age-old adage where "speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?" However, I have SWMBO to deal with, and she's already shaking er head and giving me "the look". The car isn't two weeks old yet, and it's already got custom wheels and new tires. She's not understanding the need to make the car mine because she has never seen me in what I call "Mustang mode" (this ain't my first turn around the muscle car ballroom, if you know what I mean).

She asks, "What's wrong with the wheels and tires that are on it now?" My response was, "It really depends on your definition of 'wrong'." You can imagine how the rest of the conversation went. When I told her I was going to lower it, she asked why. We had to have the tire/wheel conversation all over again. In the end, I'm dropping $8K on body kit, hood (purchased), Le Mans stripes, and tires/wheels (purchased). And she's worried about another $700 for shocks, springs, and incidentals associated with lowering the car.

In short, I have to economize where I can on the lowering parts. This means getting the GT500 mounts and camber bolts instead of doing it "right" with camber plates, getting non-adjustable shocks instead of the "good stuff", and I went for the Eibach Pro springs from Roush Overstock because they were so cheap ($125 instead of $200). It's fortunate that I'm not interested in using the car in a competitive environment, because she'd probably just divorce me with no further questions. That simply cannot be allowed to happen, because she's a damn good cook and keeps the house clean.
__________________

My 2012 427w Shelby Tribute

Last edited by jsimmonstx; 04-12-2012 at 01:49 PM.
jsimmonstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
JAJ
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Vehicle: 2014 GT500 Black/black/black
Location: BC
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmonstx View Post
... I have SWMBO to deal with ... she's a damn good cook and keeps the house clean.
Raising the bar a titch wouldn't hurt, I'd say... but, then, if you're burning through that much cash that fast, I'd say there's more to the package than meets the eye.

As for the shocks/struts thing. It goes like this:

From 2005 to 2010, Ford used the same shape front strut and strut mount every model year. Details of the construction changed, but the dimensions didn't. The aftermarket responded with a wide choice of struts and shocks. The rear shocks are still the same shape as the 2005 ones.

In 2011, as Brandon said, they changed the top of strut itself and they also changed the mount that it fits. Steeda has leapt into the breach and come out with parts that work with 2011 and newer struts and mounts.

For the rest of us, it turns out that the huge array of parts built for 2005 to 2010 will fit just fine if you match 2005-2010 struts with 2005-2010 upper mounts. Unbolt the new design, bolt in the old design and you're good to go. As I said, the rears are all the same.

So, if you want Koni STR.T's, you can get the ones for the 2005-2010 cars and install them using Ford Racing M-18183-C upper mounts (OEM Ford parts originally made for the 2007 GT500). Or you can get newer design struts and mounts from Steeda. It'll be good either way.

Last edited by JAJ; 04-12-2012 at 03:14 PM.
JAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
freyes
2nd Gear Member

 
freyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang V6
Location: California
Posts: 151
Default

My wife's dad worked for Ford, so I can do no wrong when it comes to modding my car. We only buy Fords in my household.

My suggestion is to save your pennies, send the Eibach springs back, go to sam stranos site (stranoparts.com) and pick up Koni STR struts/shocks/and Steeda sport springs. You will avoid making the same mistake I made. I ordered and installed the FRPP handling pack (found out Eibach makes the springs) and the rear spring rate is too stiff, the rear shocks are poor, and the front struts are even worse. Felt like a 4X4 on wagon wheels.

I'm very happy with the improved ride. I got the Koni yellows, which are one step up from the STRs, and opted for the Steeda heavy duty mounts. If you buy less expensive suspension parts you will regret it, especially if your car is a daily driver. Then you end up spending even more, like I did, to correct for trying to save some money in the first place.
freyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
SteedaBrandon
Premium Sponsor

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Vehicle: n/a
Location: n/a
Posts: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmonstx View Post
It's strictly a daily driver. I've got Eibach Pro springs "in the mail", and I figured as long as I was changing springs, I'd look into changing the struts/shocks as well. I was considering Koni STR.Ts along with the GT500 mounts and some camber bolts, but selecting the correct configuration is just as difficult as deciding on what wheels/tires to use.

Speaking of that, I have AMR GT500 wheels on 255/45ZR18s (if that matters).

My tale of woe (and I think most of us have been here):

I understand that I'm dealing with the age-old adage where "speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?" However, I have SWMBO to deal with, and she's already shaking er head and giving me "the look". The car isn't two weeks old yet, and it's already got custom wheels and new tires. She's not understanding the need to make the car mine because she has never seen me in what I call "Mustang mode" (this ain't my first turn around the muscle car ballroom, if you know what I mean).

She asks, "What's wrong with the wheels and tires that are on it now?" My response was, "It really depends on your definition of 'wrong'." You can imagine how the rest of the conversation went. When I told her I was going to lower it, she asked why. We had to have the tire/wheel conversation all over again. In the end, I'm dropping $8K on body kit, hood (purchased), Le Mans stripes, and tires/wheels (purchased). And she's worried about another $700 for shocks, springs, and incidentals associated with lowering the car.

In short, I have to economize where I can on the lowering parts. This means getting the GT500 mounts and camber bolts instead of doing it "right" with camber plates, getting non-adjustable shocks instead of the "good stuff", and I went for the Eibach Pro springs from Roush Overstock because they were so cheap ($125 instead of $200). It's fortunate that I'm not interested in using the car in a competitive environment, because she'd probably just divorce me with no further questions. That simply cannot be allowed to happen, because she's a damn good cook and keeps the house clean.
For your purposes, I would recommend our Pro-Action dampers.

They feature a lifetime limited warranty and are perfect for daily/street driving with the occasional track racing. We actually had to revalve them quite a few times until we got the ride just right. Let me know if I can get these for you.
SteedaBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
S197 650
1st Gear Member
 
S197 650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyes View Post
My wife's dad worked for Ford, so I can do no wrong when it comes to modding my car. We only buy Fords in my household.

My suggestion is to save your pennies, send the Eibach springs back, go to sam stranos site (stranoparts.com) and pick up Koni STR struts/shocks/and Steeda sport springs. You will avoid making the same mistake I made. I ordered and installed the FRPP handling pack (found out Eibach makes the springs) and the rear spring rate is too stiff, the rear shocks are poor, and the front struts are even worse. Felt like a 4X4 on wagon wheels.

I'm very happy with the improved ride. I got the Koni yellows, which are one step up from the STRs, and opted for the Steeda heavy duty mounts. If you buy less expensive suspension parts you will regret it, especially if your car is a daily driver. Then you end up spending even more, like I did, to correct for trying to save some money in the first place.
Do the Koni yellows fit without getting the HD mounts?
__________________
S197 650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member
 
jsimmonstx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2012 V6 Coupe
Location: TX
Posts: 632
Default

Well, I settled for the Koni STR.T set, and the Max Machine CC plate. I'm setting aside next weekend for installation.
__________________

My 2012 427w Shelby Tribute
jsimmonstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
freyes
2nd Gear Member

 
freyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang V6
Location: California
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197 650 View Post
Do the Koni yellows fit without getting the HD mounts?
Yes, as long as you use the GT500 mounts you are good to go.

You only need the bottom half of the GT500 mounts if you buy the Steeda mounts,
freyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:48 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2012, eibach, gt500, isolators, koni, mount, mounts, mustang, number, part, rear, s197, shocks, spring, srt, strt, upper

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup