Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

I'm Confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Default I'm Confused

Was looking at struts/shocks for my 2012 (specifically some Koni STR.Ts), and from what I gather, if you use the GT500 strut mounts, you have to get 2010 struts?

My head hurts. What's the real skinny?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:09 AM
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Ford used a different mount for the struts on 2011+. Still the same crappy design, but the struts use a smaller threaded portion that goes through the mount than earlier designs. Sam Strano convinced me that the Steeda HD mounts were the way to go and that's what I purchased. They make them for 2010 and earlier, which is what you'll want to go with the Konis. You'll need the rubber isolator from a 2010 and earlier strut mount or GT500 mount to put on the Steeda mount.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
Was looking at struts/shocks for my 2012 (specifically some Koni STR.Ts), and from what I gather, if you use the GT500 strut mounts, you have to get 2010 struts?

My head hurts. What's the real skinny?
2005-2010 strut mounts are the same as the 2007-2012 GT500 strut mounts. To use dampers that were designed for the '05-'10/'07-'12 GT500, you must have the upper spring isolator from the GT500 strut mounts.

As far as I know, our Pro-Action dampers are the only ones on the market (as of right now) that will fit '11-'12 Mustangs without requiring the GT500 upper spring isolator.

Maybe I can help recommend some dampers. What is the purpose of your car? Daily-driver, weekend car, and do you track it?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:00 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

It's strictly a daily driver. I've got Eibach Pro springs "in the mail", and I figured as long as I was changing springs, I'd look into changing the struts/shocks as well. I was considering Koni STR.Ts along with the GT500 mounts and some camber bolts, but selecting the correct configuration is just as difficult as deciding on what wheels/tires to use.

Speaking of that, I have AMR GT500 wheels on 255/45ZR18s (if that matters).

My tale of woe (and I think most of us have been here):

I understand that I'm dealing with the age-old adage where "speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?" However, I have SWMBO to deal with, and she's already shaking er head and giving me "the look". The car isn't two weeks old yet, and it's already got custom wheels and new tires. She's not understanding the need to make the car mine because she has never seen me in what I call "Mustang mode" (this ain't my first turn around the muscle car ballroom, if you know what I mean).

She asks, "What's wrong with the wheels and tires that are on it now?" My response was, "It really depends on your definition of 'wrong'." You can imagine how the rest of the conversation went. When I told her I was going to lower it, she asked why. We had to have the tire/wheel conversation all over again. In the end, I'm dropping $8K on body kit, hood (purchased), Le Mans stripes, and tires/wheels (purchased). And she's worried about another $700 for shocks, springs, and incidentals associated with lowering the car.

In short, I have to economize where I can on the lowering parts. This means getting the GT500 mounts and camber bolts instead of doing it "right" with camber plates, getting non-adjustable shocks instead of the "good stuff", and I went for the Eibach Pro springs from Roush Overstock because they were so cheap ($125 instead of $200). It's fortunate that I'm not interested in using the car in a competitive environment, because she'd probably just divorce me with no further questions. That simply cannot be allowed to happen, because she's a damn good cook and keeps the house clean.

Last edited by jsimmonstx; 04-12-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

... I have SWMBO to deal with ... she's a damn good cook and keeps the house clean.
Raising the bar a titch wouldn't hurt, I'd say... but, then, if you're burning through that much cash that fast, I'd say there's more to the package than meets the eye.

As for the shocks/struts thing. It goes like this:

From 2005 to 2010, Ford used the same shape front strut and strut mount every model year. Details of the construction changed, but the dimensions didn't. The aftermarket responded with a wide choice of struts and shocks. The rear shocks are still the same shape as the 2005 ones.

In 2011, as Brandon said, they changed the top of strut itself and they also changed the mount that it fits. Steeda has leapt into the breach and come out with parts that work with 2011 and newer struts and mounts.

For the rest of us, it turns out that the huge array of parts built for 2005 to 2010 will fit just fine if you match 2005-2010 struts with 2005-2010 upper mounts. Unbolt the new design, bolt in the old design and you're good to go. As I said, the rears are all the same.

So, if you want Koni STR.T's, you can get the ones for the 2005-2010 cars and install them using Ford Racing M-18183-C upper mounts (OEM Ford parts originally made for the 2007 GT500). Or you can get newer design struts and mounts from Steeda. It'll be good either way.

Last edited by JAJ; 04-12-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:14 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

My wife's dad worked for Ford, so I can do no wrong when it comes to modding my car. We only buy Fords in my household.

My suggestion is to save your pennies, send the Eibach springs back, go to sam stranos site (stranoparts.com) and pick up Koni STR struts/shocks/and Steeda sport springs. You will avoid making the same mistake I made. I ordered and installed the FRPP handling pack (found out Eibach makes the springs) and the rear spring rate is too stiff, the rear shocks are poor, and the front struts are even worse. Felt like a 4X4 on wagon wheels.

I'm very happy with the improved ride. I got the Koni yellows, which are one step up from the STRs, and opted for the Steeda heavy duty mounts. If you buy less expensive suspension parts you will regret it, especially if your car is a daily driver. Then you end up spending even more, like I did, to correct for trying to save some money in the first place.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:58 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

It's strictly a daily driver. I've got Eibach Pro springs "in the mail", and I figured as long as I was changing springs, I'd look into changing the struts/shocks as well. I was considering Koni STR.Ts along with the GT500 mounts and some camber bolts, but selecting the correct configuration is just as difficult as deciding on what wheels/tires to use.

Speaking of that, I have AMR GT500 wheels on 255/45ZR18s (if that matters).

My tale of woe (and I think most of us have been here):

I understand that I'm dealing with the age-old adage where "speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?" However, I have SWMBO to deal with, and she's already shaking er head and giving me "the look". The car isn't two weeks old yet, and it's already got custom wheels and new tires. She's not understanding the need to make the car mine because she has never seen me in what I call "Mustang mode" (this ain't my first turn around the muscle car ballroom, if you know what I mean).

She asks, "What's wrong with the wheels and tires that are on it now?" My response was, "It really depends on your definition of 'wrong'." You can imagine how the rest of the conversation went. When I told her I was going to lower it, she asked why. We had to have the tire/wheel conversation all over again. In the end, I'm dropping $8K on body kit, hood (purchased), Le Mans stripes, and tires/wheels (purchased). And she's worried about another $700 for shocks, springs, and incidentals associated with lowering the car.

In short, I have to economize where I can on the lowering parts. This means getting the GT500 mounts and camber bolts instead of doing it "right" with camber plates, getting non-adjustable shocks instead of the "good stuff", and I went for the Eibach Pro springs from Roush Overstock because they were so cheap ($125 instead of $200). It's fortunate that I'm not interested in using the car in a competitive environment, because she'd probably just divorce me with no further questions. That simply cannot be allowed to happen, because she's a damn good cook and keeps the house clean.
For your purposes, I would recommend our Pro-Action dampers.

They feature a lifetime limited warranty and are perfect for daily/street driving with the occasional track racing. We actually had to revalve them quite a few times until we got the ride just right. Let me know if I can get these for you.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 PM
S197 650
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by freyes
My wife's dad worked for Ford, so I can do no wrong when it comes to modding my car. We only buy Fords in my household.

My suggestion is to save your pennies, send the Eibach springs back, go to sam stranos site (stranoparts.com) and pick up Koni STR struts/shocks/and Steeda sport springs. You will avoid making the same mistake I made. I ordered and installed the FRPP handling pack (found out Eibach makes the springs) and the rear spring rate is too stiff, the rear shocks are poor, and the front struts are even worse. Felt like a 4X4 on wagon wheels.

I'm very happy with the improved ride. I got the Koni yellows, which are one step up from the STRs, and opted for the Steeda heavy duty mounts. If you buy less expensive suspension parts you will regret it, especially if your car is a daily driver. Then you end up spending even more, like I did, to correct for trying to save some money in the first place.
Do the Koni yellows fit without getting the HD mounts?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:49 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Well, I settled for the Koni STR.T set, and the Max Machine CC plate. I'm setting aside next weekend for installation.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:48 AM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197 650
Do the Koni yellows fit without getting the HD mounts?
Yes, as long as you use the GT500 mounts you are good to go.

You only need the bottom half of the GT500 mounts if you buy the Steeda mounts,

Quick Reply: I'm Confused