Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

'12 V6 Performance Package vs lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Hawkeye666

Default '12 V6 Performance Package vs lowering springs?

Hey experts have a quick question for the group. I have a 2012 V6 with Performance Package. I love the bigger 19' rims but I think the car sits a little too high. Now I know that the Performance Package includes several upgrades to the suspension so I am wondering about the springs.

How do the springs in the Perf Pack compare to say H&R, Ford Racing or Eibach lowering springs? Would it be worth the $650 or so to get the springs and have them installed?

How low can I go without introducing too much bottoming out considering the 19" rims that came with the Perf Pack? This is my every day driver so I need to have enough clearance for regular roads, some of which are rather bumpy.

Thoughts?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 AM
twinsemi

You can certainly get improved handling with shorter springs. How low depends on what your priorities are. Past 1-1.5 inches, you will probably want to address the suspension issues both f & r. Front CA will be at the wrong angle and mess with the RC. In back, the PHR will not be level and it will be the wrong length.
Best bet if you want to stick to your plan of just springs is to go moderate. I have always had good experience with Eibach. The front at about 1" should be fine. In back, if the axle is offset, an adjustable PHR is not too much more.
I have the same setup, and it appears that the PHR is about 3/4" high at the chassis end with the stock springs. Eibachs should make it 3/4" low at the new normal. Not to bad.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hawkeye666
Hey experts have a quick question for the group. I have a 2012 V6 with Performance Package. I love the bigger 19' rims but I think the car sits a little too high. Now I know that the Performance Package includes several upgrades to the suspension so I am wondering about the springs.

How do the springs in the Perf Pack compare to say H&R, Ford Racing or Eibach lowering springs? Would it be worth the $650 or so to get the springs and have them installed?

How low can I go without introducing too much bottoming out considering the 19" rims that came with the Perf Pack? This is my every day driver so I need to have enough clearance for regular roads, some of which are rather bumpy.

Thoughts?
How much of a drop are you looking for?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:04 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

The springs in the V6 PP are the exact same springs used in the 5.0 GT's
Old 04-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Hawkeye666

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
How much of a drop are you looking for?
Somewhere around an inch to inch and a half. I guess that's part of the question really is what is reasonable without having to get camber plates, etc.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:15 PM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

I have a 2009 V6 and it has the GT suspension, can you confirm? Thanks,Alan
Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hawkeye666
Somewhere around an inch to inch and a half. I guess that's part of the question really is what is reasonable without having to get camber plates, etc.
In that case I would recommend our Ultralite springs for you. They provide an approximate 1.25" (F) and 1.5" (R) drop, improved handling and great ride quality.

Let me know if I can help you with that.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:26 AM
LieutenantDan

Someone told me once that there are issues with the driveshaft and that some things need to be adjusted if you do more than an inch drop, is this the case? Is it something that you don't "have" to do, but would help long term?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:32 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LieutenantDan
Someone told me once that there are issues with the driveshaft and that some things need to be adjusted if you do more than an inch drop, is this the case? Is it something that you don't "have" to do, but would help long term?
It's actually more than 1.5 inches, and at that point you have to start thinking about the pinion angle. The way to adjust the pinion angle is with adjustable lower and/or upper control arms.

Also, when you lower the car any distance at all, you may need an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the car over the rear end. The lower the car, the more likely it is you'll need it.