Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda Sports and Koni STR.T installed

Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephen1371
well i just bought the j&m panhard bar, just to make sure its center, while i agree the watts link its the best way to go , for my daily driver im happy to pay a 100 bucks just to center my rear end nothing else. it all comes down to what you want out of yuor car, or how much you want to spend
Fully agree. Please don't take my earlier advice out of context. I should have probably vented my frustration with my PHB differently but I did say they were sufficient if only looking to be cosmetically appeasing.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

Did you need a grease gun for the koni's?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 AM
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

No. What would there be to grease?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:04 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
Fully agree. Please don't take my earlier advice out of context. I should have probably vented my frustration with my PHB differently but I did say they were sufficient if only looking to be cosmetically appeasing.
yep thats it in a nut shell, i say if you see track time, or drive agressive then go watts, if not im sure we have all waste money on a mod before, i know i have 100 doesnt go that far these days, makes me miss fox
Old 04-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by safetyfastgt
No. What would there be to grease?
The Ford Racing package needed grease, I was just wandering if this one did.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Warpig12354
The Ford Racing package needed grease, I was just wandering if this one did.
Interesting. Did it have grease for urethane bushings?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

I'm not sure I saw it on Motorz TV on youtube. Come to think of it, it might have been the sway bar... my bad!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Not sure where all this anti-panhard bar stuff came from, but plenty of racing Mustangs have had success using a PHB setup. Have any of you actually driven your Mustang in anger in autocross or on the track and had issues? Its true the Watts link is a more elegent and symmetrical solution to laterally locating the axle, but you'd have to be a pretty experienced and skilled driver for it to make a difference. The slight movement due to the arc of the PHB and the change in roll center isn't going to cause any dangerous tendencies. The watts link setups out there now are also heavier FWIW. The Vorshlag guys have been building a 2011 autocross racer for STX (now ESP) and they're still rockin' the PHB and doing quite well.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi
Not sure where all this anti-panhard bar stuff came from, but plenty of racing Mustangs have had success using a PHB setup. Have any of you actually driven your Mustang in anger in autocross or on the track and had issues? Its true the Watts link is a more elegent and symmetrical solution to laterally locating the axle, but you'd have to be a pretty experienced and skilled driver for it to make a difference. The slight movement due to the arc of the PHB and the change in roll center isn't going to cause any dangerous tendencies. The watts link setups out there now are also heavier FWIW. The Vorshlag guys have been building a 2011 autocross racer for STX (now ESP) and they're still rockin' the PHB and doing quite well.
Yeah I dunno... my car eats slaloms alive with the watts and sucked hard with the stock (yeah I know) PHB. It would get really unsettled when going from turning right to turning left. Not impossible to control but not confidence inspiring at all. Factory PHB so caveat there if there ever was one, factory bushings suck blah blah blah.

A lot of "successful" race cars with PHB's also run pretty high spring rates. I think the FR500's come with 300 lb/in rear rates which isn't "stiff" compared to what some IRS guys are using but it's stiff enough to minimize rear suspension movement which eliminates the whole arc nonsense anyway and keeps the roll center variation pretty small. On a street driven car with soft (but stiffer than stock) lowering springs you are going to see quite a bit of movement over bumps and the PHB just doesn't inspire the same confidence that the watts does.

That is my very limited experience... I literally have 2 autocross events on the watts link and the set up and venue changed between both so it's hardly conclusive, I did have 24k miles of street driving and 9 autocross events last year on the factory suspension.

As for the weight, the weight is all sprung weight and it isn't much over the factory PHB. My box with my watts weighed 31lbs, so that's like 28lbs for the whole watts? You are removing the PHB brace and PHB from the equation and the unsprung weight is about the same. Well worth any added weight over the rear axle for the much lower roll center and zero suspension arc for if I ever get wider wheels/tires back there. :P

Vorshlag has given up on STX with their 5.0 before getting the car to full prep. Fine by me, it's there car, I just wish they would have stuck it out longer and tested the watts link before giving up on STX all together. I do wonder if the 05-10 'stangs are not a better choice for 265 wide tires anyway. Less power potential there, maybe 315/335 at the wheels in STX prep? Lighter weight too but I'm not sure by how much. I need to weigh my car, not that it has had any weight reduction done to it. I plan on staying in STX until I'm good enough to justify the expensive of the purple crack. There is a lot left to do with the suspension, power, and weight reduction before jumping to Hoosiers.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:54 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whiskey11
Yeah I dunno... my car eats slaloms alive with the watts and sucked hard with the stock (yeah I know) PHB. It would get really unsettled when going from turning right to turning left. Not impossible to control but not confidence inspiring at all. Factory PHB so caveat there if there ever was one, factory bushings suck blah blah blah.

A lot of "successful" race cars with PHB's also run pretty high spring rates. I think the FR500's come with 300 lb/in rear rates which isn't "stiff" compared to what some IRS guys are using but it's stiff enough to minimize rear suspension movement which eliminates the whole arc nonsense anyway and keeps the roll center variation pretty small. On a street driven car with soft (but stiffer than stock) lowering springs you are going to see quite a bit of movement over bumps and the PHB just doesn't inspire the same confidence that the watts does.

That is my very limited experience... I literally have 2 autocross events on the watts link and the set up and venue changed between both so it's hardly conclusive, I did have 24k miles of street driving and 9 autocross events last year on the factory suspension.

As for the weight, the weight is all sprung weight and it isn't much over the factory PHB. My box with my watts weighed 31lbs, so that's like 28lbs for the whole watts? You are removing the PHB brace and PHB from the equation and the unsprung weight is about the same. Well worth any added weight over the rear axle for the much lower roll center and zero suspension arc for if I ever get wider wheels/tires back there. :P

Vorshlag has given up on STX with their 5.0 before getting the car to full prep. Fine by me, it's there car, I just wish they would have stuck it out longer and tested the watts link before giving up on STX all together. I do wonder if the 05-10 'stangs are not a better choice for 265 wide tires anyway. Less power potential there, maybe 315/335 at the wheels in STX prep? Lighter weight too but I'm not sure by how much. I need to weigh my car, not that it has had any weight reduction done to it. I plan on staying in STX until I'm good enough to justify the expensive of the purple crack. There is a lot left to do with the suspension, power, and weight reduction before jumping to Hoosiers.
You won't get any argument from me that the watts link is superior to the PHB, but I was countering the prevailing opinion on this thread that a PHB setup is "sh*tty and insufficient" for track duty. It is more than sufficient, especially for those with less experience who aren't getting 9/10ths out of their car.

I've actually had my eye on the Fayes 2 for a while now, but my driving skill doesn't quite necessitate that yet. I'll spend that money on more track time instead. The PHB seems to be doing well enough as my last event at the Streets of Willow I was consistently in the top 2 or 3 in my intermediate group. 412 hp doesn't hurt either...

It is a shame the Vorshlag guys quit STX, but they seem to be doing awesome so far in ESP. (IIRC they beat the former nat. champ one day with uncompetitive victoracers and stx setup besides wheels/tires, and they're considering going 345's in the back )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steeda Sports and Koni STR.T installed