Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

New autocross class with recent mods?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:25 PM
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Default New autocross class with recent mods?

I've now modded myself out of FS. Mods are Steeda Sports, Koni str.t, Steeda HD strut mounts, adjustable panhard bar and GT500 wheels with 255/45-18 Nitto 555 tires. I think that puts me in either STU, SM or ESP. Any suggestion as to what would be the most fun to run in given the car as it sits?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

ESP (I'm no expert though)...are those the only mods you've mad?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 PM
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

That's all the mods.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:54 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

STU would be the lowest PAX but you'll race against a lot of WRX's and BMW's.

SM has a higher PAX time so I would say ESP (populated by mostly Stangs in my region).

Last edited by bakerjd; 04-17-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:18 PM
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Okay. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
STU would be the lowest PAX but you'll race against a lot of WRX's and BMW's.

SM has a higher PAX time so I would say ESP (populated by mostly Stangs in my region).
Mustangs 5.0L and below race in STX which limits you to a 9" wide wheel and 265 wide tires. Mustangs with engines larger than 5.0L race in STU with open wheel options and 285 max width tires. There is no crossover anymore for any cars. You are in STX if you are in any 05+ Mustang EXCEPT the GT500.

I believe the GT500 wheels are 18x9.5 right? ESP you go! The mods would be fine in STX except the wheel width. Is anyone going to care at the local level? Probably not unless you start beating some of the national level guys. Then they may get butt hurt over that extra half inch of wheel width.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:58 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

I would recommend STU over ESP because your street tires stand a chance in that class because the guys in ESP are more likely to run slicks leaving your street tires in the dust. If your GT500 rims are 9" like whiskey11 said I would race STX.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

You'll be in STU if in fact the GT500 wheels are 9.5" in width, STX if they are 9" or less. Unless you want to run slicks that is, then its off to ESP.

I run STU and I do ok as a not very experienced driver, but us guys will usually get run over by Subies and Evos with AWD in that class. Its still a lot of fun, and rewarding when you actually can beat one of the AWD machines in your big, heavy, RWD monster.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Fridge56Vet
2nd Gear Member

It seems I've got the opposite problem. I bought my Mustang used a year ago & it came w/a functional CDC Shaker which they told me made me ESP. Save the Pype bombs no other performance mods. I'm currently trying to decide what suspension mods I can do to make her turn for a change, though I'm on a bit of a budget & will hafta do things piecemeal. Do want to stay in ESP, at least until I no longer suck. :P Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

P.S. - Also not looking to lower the car at this point, as I live rural and, well, clearance does matter from time to time....

Last edited by Fridge56Vet; 04-17-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fridge56Vet
It seems I've got the opposite problem. I bought my Mustang used a year ago & it came w/a functional CDC Shaker which they told me made me ESP. Save the Pype bombs no other performance mods. I'm currently trying to decide what suspension mods I can do to make her turn for a change, though I'm on a bit of a budget & will hafta do things piecemeal. Do want to stay in ESP, at least until I no longer suck. :P Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

P.S. - Also not looking to lower the car at this point, as I live rural and, well, clearance does matter from time to time....
That sucks they made you go to ESP for just that, especially for a local event where you're not even competitive. If you want to stay in ESP and slowly build up there, Mustangs actually do pretty well in that class. If you don't want to lower at all, I guess I'd recommend starting with some good dampers (Koni Sports or Tokico D-Specs) and some R-Compound tires. Get some camber plates so you can set some good negative camber up front and get an alignment with 0 toe. I'm not 100% on ESP rules, but I think you can do panhard bar and swaybars. If you're not ready to take the R-comp plunge yet, then, well I guess just keep working on that driver mod and have lots of fun!

Last edited by parchisi; 04-17-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New autocross class with recent mods?