Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > S197 Handling Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Default Local dealer won't install Steeda Springs....

Just had a call in to my local Ford Dealer about installing my steeda springs, hd strut mounts, panhard bar and tokico shocks and struts. Took them 24 hours to call me back and then they stated they wouldn't install aftermarket parts....

You guys ever hear of this? Guess I'll just do it myself after all lol.

They do install Roush suspension there....I thought that was aftermarket too...
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
tjr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 GT Vert, 02 GT Vert

It may be based on them selling them to you vs you bringing in the parts.
I wake up in the morning with nothing to do and by supper time, I have half of it done.

2008 GT Vert, stock
2000 Lightning, s/c, tuned, Basanni, built tranny
Previous Mustangs:4 - '66 Coupes(silver/blue/grey/red) '87 GT HO, '00/'02/'07 GT Vert(red)(grey)(black), '68 Coupe, '11 GT/CS
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010, Ford, Mustang

That stuff is all pretty easy to install find a few tall jack stands and go for it.
908ssp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

Yeah...I'm going to do it myself. Just ordered a strut spring compressor. Just kind of blew me away...
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009 Candy Apple Red Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr1973 View Post
Yeah...I'm going to do it myself. Just ordered a strut spring compressor. Just kind of blew me away...
Local auto parts stores rent out spring compressors for MacPhearson struts at NO charge to you... At least my local O'Reiley's store did...

The install is pretty easy, the hard part is the alignment. You can do it yourself if you are confident enough to do it. I played a dealership's race team to set mine up with the Steeda HD plates, only charged me for a standard alignment but allowed me to specify my own alignment specifications.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
I993 SVT COBRA parchisi

Yup, the install is pretty simple. Some simple hand tools, spring compressor, and you're set...easy day! There are plenty of write-ups around the interwebs too. I would probably take the car someplace though for the alignment. Although I once had a shop refuse to set the camber using the camber plates, they insisted on elongating the control arm bolt holes. I told them to just adjust the camber plates but they said it "doesn't work that way." I LOL'd at them and left.

2011 Mustang GT
Premium, Race Red, GT/CS Splitter and Spoiler, 3.73 Gears, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Comp Springs, Tokico D-Specs, MM C/C Plates, UMI Dbl. Adjustable PHB, Barton Shifter, American Thunder Axleback, SVE 19x9.5 Drift Wheels, Hankook R-S3 275/35ZR19 tires all around.
parchisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by parchisi View Post
Yup, the install is pretty simple. Some simple hand tools, spring compressor, and you're set...easy day! There are plenty of write-ups around the interwebs too. I would probably take the car someplace though for the alignment. Although I once had a shop refuse to set the camber using the camber plates, they insisted on elongating the control arm bolt holes. I told them to just adjust the camber plates but they said it "doesn't work that way." I LOL'd at them and left.
Lol. I would have run from that place after hearing that! Jeez...
HOTRODD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey11 View Post
Local auto parts stores rent out spring compressors for MacPhearson struts at NO charge to you... At least my local O'Reiley's store did...

The install is pretty easy, the hard part is the alignment. You can do it yourself if you are confident enough to do it. I played a dealership's race team to set mine up with the Steeda HD plates, only charged me for a standard alignment but allowed me to specify my own alignment specifications.
What specs did you go with? Strano recommended I go with 1.5 neg camber and 0 toe as a decent all around set up. I hope that doesn't eat my tires too fast.

I borrowed a spring compressor from o'reilley as well. $55 deposit that I got back when I returned the tool.

Last edited by safetyfastgt; 04-18-2012 at 08:19 AM.
safetyfastgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

That is a good question safety. I was going to have it set to stock specs when I get everything aligned....

Is that correct? I'm not doing autocross or anything like that. It's not even daily driver. I just don't want my tires wearing weird or anything. I have staggered wheels and tires and can't rotate them.

Anyone answer that?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr1973 View Post
I borrowed the spring compressor from autozone. I had to put down a deposit, which they give back when you return. If I recall correctly, the deposit is the same amount as what it would cost to purchase the spring compressor.

- 2005, 4.0 - Missing 2 cylinders :-/
- SCT Xcal3 w/ Brenspeed Custom Tunes
- Airaid CAI
- Pypes Streetpro Exhaust
- AM Front Chin Spoiler
- AM Quarter window louvers
- SHR honeycomb decklid panel
- Cobra R wheels
- Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
- Billet Honeycomb Chrome Front Grille Overlay
- Smoked tail lights & turn signals, Mustang 3rd brake light decal
- Raxiom sequential tail light kit
kevinmalec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2011, 2012, 2013, brakes, change, comp, dspec, forums, gt, install, local, mount, mustang, order, package, performance, springs, steeda, strut, tokico, upper