Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > S197 Handling Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Local dealer won't install Steeda Springs....

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
tjr1973
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Montana
Posts: 112
Default Local dealer won't install Steeda Springs....

Just had a call in to my local Ford Dealer about installing my steeda springs, hd strut mounts, panhard bar and tokico shocks and struts. Took them 24 hours to call me back and then they stated they wouldn't install aftermarket parts....

You guys ever hear of this? Guess I'll just do it myself after all lol.

They do install Roush suspension there....I thought that was aftermarket too...
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
tjr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
AzPete
4th Gear Member
 
AzPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 08 GT Vert, 02 GT Vert
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,214
Default

It may be based on them selling them to you vs you bringing in the parts.
__________________
AzPete
Retired USAF
Panama City, Fl.
I wake up in the morning with nothing to do and by supper time, I have half of it done.

2008 GT Vert, stock
2000 Lightning, s/c, tuned, Basanni, built tranny
Previous Mustangs:4 - '66 Coupes(silver/blue/grey/red) '87 GT HO, '00/'02/'07 GT Vert(red)(grey)(black), '68 Coupe, '11 GT/CS
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
908ssp
3rd Gear Member
 
908ssp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Vehicle: 2010, Ford, Mustang
Location: Michigan
Posts: 645
Default

That stuff is all pretty easy to install find a few tall jack stands and go for it.
908ssp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
tjr1973
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Montana
Posts: 112
Default

Yeah...I'm going to do it myself. Just ordered a strut spring compressor. Just kind of blew me away...
tjr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member
 
Whiskey11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 2009 Candy Apple Red Mustang GT
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr1973 View Post
Yeah...I'm going to do it myself. Just ordered a strut spring compressor. Just kind of blew me away...
Local auto parts stores rent out spring compressors for MacPhearson struts at NO charge to you... At least my local O'Reiley's store did...

The install is pretty easy, the hard part is the alignment. You can do it yourself if you are confident enough to do it. I played a dealership's race team to set mine up with the Steeda HD plates, only charged me for a standard alignment but allowed me to specify my own alignment specifications.
__________________
Whiskey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
parchisi
3rd Gear Member
 
parchisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
Location: New Mexico...FML
Posts: 599
I993 SVT COBRA parchisi
Default

Yup, the install is pretty simple. Some simple hand tools, spring compressor, and you're set...easy day! There are plenty of write-ups around the interwebs too. I would probably take the car someplace though for the alignment. Although I once had a shop refuse to set the camber using the camber plates, they insisted on elongating the control arm bolt holes. I told them to just adjust the camber plates but they said it "doesn't work that way." I LOL'd at them and left.
__________________

2011 Mustang GT
Premium, Race Red, GT/CS Splitter and Spoiler, 3.73 Gears, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Comp Springs, Tokico D-Specs, MM C/C Plates, UMI Dbl. Adjustable PHB, Barton Shifter, American Thunder Axleback, SVE 19x9.5 Drift Wheels, Hankook R-S3 275/35ZR19 tires all around.
parchisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member
 
HOTRODD77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parchisi View Post
Yup, the install is pretty simple. Some simple hand tools, spring compressor, and you're set...easy day! There are plenty of write-ups around the interwebs too. I would probably take the car someplace though for the alignment. Although I once had a shop refuse to set the camber using the camber plates, they insisted on elongating the control arm bolt holes. I told them to just adjust the camber plates but they said it "doesn't work that way." I LOL'd at them and left.
Lol. I would have run from that place after hearing that! Jeez...
HOTRODD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
safetyfastgt
1st Gear Member
 
safetyfastgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT Convertible
Location: TN
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey11 View Post
Local auto parts stores rent out spring compressors for MacPhearson struts at NO charge to you... At least my local O'Reiley's store did...

The install is pretty easy, the hard part is the alignment. You can do it yourself if you are confident enough to do it. I played a dealership's race team to set mine up with the Steeda HD plates, only charged me for a standard alignment but allowed me to specify my own alignment specifications.
What specs did you go with? Strano recommended I go with 1.5 neg camber and 0 toe as a decent all around set up. I hope that doesn't eat my tires too fast.

I borrowed a spring compressor from o'reilley as well. $55 deposit that I got back when I returned the tool.

Last edited by safetyfastgt; 04-18-2012 at 08:19 AM.
safetyfastgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
tjr1973
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Montana
Posts: 112
Default

That is a good question safety. I was going to have it set to stock specs when I get everything aligned....

Is that correct? I'm not doing autocross or anything like that. It's not even daily driver. I just don't want my tires wearing weird or anything. I have staggered wheels and tires and can't rotate them.

Anyone answer that?
tjr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member
 
kevinmalec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 3,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr1973 View Post
Yeah...I'm going to do it myself. Just ordered a strut spring compressor. Just kind of blew me away...
I borrowed the spring compressor from autozone. I had to put down a deposit, which they give back when you return. If I recall correctly, the deposit is the same amount as what it would cost to purchase the spring compressor.
__________________


- 2005, 4.0 - Missing 2 cylinders :-/
- SCT Xcal3 w/ Brenspeed Custom Tunes
- Airaid CAI
- Pypes Streetpro Exhaust
- AM Front Chin Spoiler
- AM Quarter window louvers
- SHR honeycomb decklid panel
- Cobra R wheels
- Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
- Billet Honeycomb Chrome Front Grille Overlay
- Smoked tail lights & turn signals, Mustang 3rd brake light decal
- Raxiom sequential tail light kit
kevinmalec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
parchisi
3rd Gear Member
 
parchisi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
Location: New Mexico...FML
Posts: 599
I993 SVT COBRA parchisi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr1973 View Post
That is a good question safety. I was going to have it set to stock specs when I get everything aligned....

Is that correct? I'm not doing autocross or anything like that. It's not even daily driver. I just don't want my tires wearing weird or anything. I have staggered wheels and tires and can't rotate them.

Anyone answer that?
If you're not going to be doing much driving in anger, then stock specs are fine. If you like to rip along the occasional mountain road, take on-ramp cloverleafs fast, etc, I'd say having 0 toe and some extra negative camber would enhance the driving experience. Keep an eye on tire wear though, if the inside shoulders are wearing prematurely, take some camber out.
__________________

2011 Mustang GT
Premium, Race Red, GT/CS Splitter and Spoiler, 3.73 Gears, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Comp Springs, Tokico D-Specs, MM C/C Plates, UMI Dbl. Adjustable PHB, Barton Shifter, American Thunder Axleback, SVE 19x9.5 Drift Wheels, Hankook R-S3 275/35ZR19 tires all around.
parchisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
tjr1973
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Montana
Posts: 112
Default

Thanks Parchisi...will set them at stock for now I think.
tjr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member
 
Whiskey11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Vehicle: 2009 Candy Apple Red Mustang GT
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyfastgt View Post
What specs did you go with? Strano recommended I go with 1.5 neg camber and 0 toe as a decent all around set up. I hope that doesn't eat my tires too fast.

I borrowed a spring compressor from o'reilley as well. $55 deposit that I got back when I returned the tool.
Well I told them give me the max they can and keep it equal at both sides. When I brought it in the right was at -2.0 degrees and the left was at -1.6 degrees, toe came out +.09 on the left and -.09 on the right for 0 total toe (but with a tenth degree of steer ahead).

After, they gave me -1.5 on the left, -1.6 on the right for camber with 0 toe. The tenth degree low on the left accounts for the difference in their "dummy weight" driver and me. If I ever go to coilovers and proper camber plates I will be happy to take it back to them. They do corner balancing, and full alignment for about $125 if it doesn't take too long, or $200 if it does. Not too bad. I also know two of the folks that work on the team so I know I can trust them to do quality work.
__________________
Whiskey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT
Location: Ohio
Posts: 348
Default

Call the dealer back and thank them for making you realize the huge mistake you almost made by having the dealer install your parts and also for not bending you over and charging who knows what for the labor on that install.
__________________
JLT CAI, Lowered on FRPP K Springs, BMR Adj. PHB, Hurst Billet Comp. Plus STS. Corsa Xtremes, Steeda UDP's
07GrabU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
Derf00
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '08 S197 GT
Location: AZ
Posts: 9,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr1973 View Post
Just had a call in to my local Ford Dealer about installing my steeda springs, hd strut mounts, panhard bar and tokico shocks and struts. Took them 24 hours to call me back and then they stated they wouldn't install aftermarket parts....

You guys ever hear of this? Guess I'll just do it myself after all lol.

They do install Roush suspension there....I thought that was aftermarket too...
You've already decided what you want to do but your dealer is probably only authorized for Roush parts, not the other brands.

It makes any type of warranty or labor claim a bitch to deal with since they would not be considered a Steeda authorized installer or Tokico. If you read the warranty fine print, most Aftermarket part mfg don't cover the cost of labor in the event of part failure unless it's installed by an authorized dealer/installer.

Dealer by my house is authorized for Steeda, Roush, and FRPP. If they do install any other brands, they have you sign a waiver that states "No expressed or implied warranty on labor or performance of part..." meaning, they wipe their hands clean if there are any problems that go beyond explicit negligence (i.e. they don't tighten the bolts).
__________________
08 S197 GT Auto: FRPP Strut Tower Brace, FRPP Bullitt CAI, Bama 91-P Tune, VBX remaned valve body with Superior Transmission Shift Kit.
Pending upgrades: Shaftmasters Aluminum 3.5" DS, FRPP 3.73 gears, Axle back exahust (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
tjr1973
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Montana
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf00 View Post
You've already decided what you want to do but your dealer is probably only authorized for Roush parts, not the other brands.

It makes any type of warranty or labor claim a bitch to deal with since they would not be considered a Steeda authorized installer or Tokico. If you read the warranty fine print, most Aftermarket part mfg don't cover the cost of labor in the event of part failure unless it's installed by an authorized dealer/installer.

Dealer by my house is authorized for Steeda, Roush, and FRPP. If they do install any other brands, they have you sign a waiver that states "No expressed or implied warranty on labor or performance of part..." meaning, they wipe their hands clean if there are any problems that go beyond explicit negligence (i.e. they don't tighten the bolts).

I wouldn't expect any sort of warranty on the parts due to the fact that I've already purchased them. The only warranty I would expect from them in a case like this would have been for the quality of their work.
tjr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:10 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2011, 2012, 2013, brakes, change, comp, dspec, forums, gt, install, local, mount, mustang, order, package, performance, springs, steeda, strut, tokico, upper

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup